Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT
I now own this, new pictures on the second page

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's a perfect commuter car. It has at least 200k more miles in it. I can't believe nobody has expressed an interest. What would that go for at auction or more appropriately what would you sell it for?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I assume non turbo right?

I might be in the market for a new wagon but not sure yet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's way more than I expected for a manual car at auction. Maybe the general population is starting to catch on!

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's way more than I expected for a manual car at auction. Maybe the general population is starting to catch on!
I got my 2003 V70 na 5spd at Copart auction for $2000. Needed body-work on the driver's side panels, and the two driver's side doors as well. $2600 later I had a 80,000 mile example with the same options as the care mentioned here (mine does have sunroof). Interior is wearing, but aside from the slave cylinder going at 90k miles (and $1300 clutch job later...) and what you'd expect on a car approaching 100k miles, it's been faithful so far at nearly 120k miles. I plan to drive it to 200+k miles if it lets me.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY few come around. VERY few have lower miles. VERY few in this decent condition

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I saw that one and poked around on it a bit. The clutch was just changed by the dealer within 2k miles, apparently just before trade in?

There was quite a few cosmetic negetives listed on the car for scratches. I looked but wasn't going time invest any account sight unseen for such a limited market car. I didn't watch the auction through, but wouldn't have even considered putting $X,XXX into it. That approaching uncomfortably close to retail.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
VERY few come around. VERY few have lower miles. VERY few in this decent condition
I just bought an 05' V70 with 5-speed, ONE owner, 109k, ALL service records, super clean needing nothing. I paid dearly for it but I wanted it really bad.
What would you guys pay for it I wonder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
^ Beautiful! considering it is not in need of mechanical attention, $6500 would be fair IMO. However, at 109k, the timing belt should be addressed if it hasn't yet. That was a $700 bill for me, so that's my caveot. $5750 without the timing belt addressed.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh, all the the pricing experts, I love it

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I personally think it's insane to buy an NA Volvo V70. Turbos aren't that complex and they make the car drivable. It's a 3500lb car making 170hp to the crank. P2 volvos aren't complex in the engine department, they're complex in the interior electronic module department. Not having a snail or AW55 doesn't fix this.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Ahh, all the the pricing experts, I love it
Yo, yo, yo, I'm not looking or interested, but for, I dunno, like, $2250, I'd ring that bell. Lolz

Real numbers? I dunno, that's driven by demand, and how do you get a grasp on such a limited market?

R manual? Sold easily. A non-turbo V70? JRL could weigh in as he's probably seen more than me, but I would think $3-6 if sold privately. Banks don't like older private sale cars that much so the market is not just those wanted a manual, but those wanting a manual and with cash in hand (a rare combo). I would speculate most buyers with gravitate to spending more for an R, or are heading over to a V50. A manual Volvo is rarely chosen by a full on sensible person. And clutches are flaming expensive to boot; my money says you might as well get performance for the same repair dollar. *

*knee jerk guesses based on my limited exposure

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yo, yo, yo, I'm not looking or interested, but for, I dunno, like, $2250, I'd ring that bell. Lolz

Real numbers? I dunno, that's driven by demand, and how do you get a grasp on such a limited market?

R manual? Sold easily. A non-turbo V70? JRL could weigh in as he's probably seen more than me, but I would think $3-6 if sold privately. Banks don't like older private sale cars that much so the market is not just those wanted a manual, but those wanting a manual and with cash in hand (a rare combo). I would speculate most buyers with gravitate to spending more for an R, or are heading over to a V50. A manual Volvo is rarely chosen by a full on sensible person. And clutches are flaming expensive to boot; my money says you might as well get performance for the same repair dollar. *

*knee jerk guesses based on my limited exposure

You are forgetting one thing... In America, wagons are vehicles for car enthusiasts, like sports cars and Jeep Wranglers. Plus there's the active lifestyle granola demographic which likes manuals

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
You are forgetting one thing... In America, wagons are vehicles for car enthusiasts, like sports cars and Jeep Wranglers. Plus there's the active lifestyle granola demographic which likes manuals
Maybe so. It was a knee jerk response based on unavailable information. The poster with the V70 was obviously willing to "pay dearly" for his. I'm curious what sort of a number was the purchasing price?

I still speculate most Volvo enthusiast seeking a manual gear box would incline towards a V50 T5 AWD or an R because of the obvious power increase that feeds the Swedish nuttiness.

I sit outside the target demographic wanting a manual wagon. I like manual transmission, but not for that application. VW *makes sign of the cross to ward off evil* has sold quite a few manual wagons and that would seem to indicate the buyers are there if the market was sensible enough to take the price increase for the better brand.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are a few hipsters in TO are rocking out the Oldsmobile
Not even a Vista Cruiser!

A few years ago I bought a 31K mile 1996 Buick Roadmaster Volvo trade in, 1 owner that was literally brand new for 2K.
I put it on Craig's List for $5995 and I had 5 people from as far West as Nebraska bidding over it!
I sold it for $6500 in 48 hours!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts