SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone-

I am picking up my S60 T6 on July 16th (arrive in Gothenburg on July 14th). Wanted some feedback on how rushed I might be the two days I drive between Gothenburg and Copenhagen. Here is a little information on my thought process: I will be traveling with my brother, wanted to not spend as much time driving but still experience the cities. Departing from Stockholm so dropping off the car in Gothenburg on Friday 20th before traveling to Stockholm via train (leaving Stockholm Monday July 23).

Here is the Itinerary:

Saturday July 14
Arrive in Gothenburg with included Radisson stay on Saturday/Sunday (Volvo loyalty bonus night)

Monday July 16
Pickup Volvo and do the tour. Drive out in the afternoon to Copenhagen

Monday July 16
Check in to the Square Hotel in Copenhagen and staying 4 nights checking out on July 20th.

Friday July 20
Need to leave really early to get to Gothenburg in time to wash car/drop off and catch the 12:42pm high speed train to Stockholm where we will finish the trip until departure on Monday.
*This is the day I am most concerned with; how early will I have to get up to catch the train? Google maps has the drive at 3 hours and 21 minutes. Is this accurate and how easy is it to find a car wash before drop-off in Gothenburg as well as finding transport to the train station?

Also need to book the last 3 night's hotel in Stockholm so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I read on this forum that the FDC Gothenburg drop off is the only one where you are not asked to wash your car before handing back for shipment. FDC will deliver you free to the train station after the dropoff. It is about a twenty minute ride.

The Oresund bridge between Malmo Sweden and Copenhagen has a cash single car one way fare of 43 Euros ($54.36 as of today) which can be paid by credit card. http://uk.oresundsbron.com/page/948

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
An idea....When you leave Copehnhagen drive north to Helsingor DE. and take the ferry to Helsgingborg Sweden. Avoiding the Malmo traffic and also a nice drive :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drove from Copenhagen (over the bridge/tunnel) to the delivery center in a little over 3 hours on a Tuesday morning in May. There was minimal traffic (even through Malmo) - left right before 8:00am and arrived around 11:00am.

I can attest to the delivery center saying not to bother washing the car before hand as they will take care of it.

So, with 5 - 10 minutes of paperwork and 20 minutes over to the Central train station, you should be able to do the trip door to door in under 5 hours. Just to be safe, you might want to leave a little early in case all of the drivers are out when you arrive at the delivery center. Just tell them ahead of time when you expect to be dropping off. I had no wait at all.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
One last comment on hotels in Stockholm - we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard. We typically stay at smaller, locally run hotels in Europe but we had points so we stay at the Marriott and were very pleased we did.

Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen
Rålambshovsleden 50,
Stockholm, 112 19 Sweden
Phone: 46-8-441-3100 Fax: 46-8-441-3199

It was a very nice, clean, modern hotel. The staff was great and the breakfast buffet - not too expensive given Swedish standards - and excellent.

The hotel is about a 10 minute subway (T-bana) ride out from the city center. It's on the green line - 6 stops from the Central Station and 7 from Gamla Stan. The stop is Thorildsplan - next to a park across the street and about a block down from the hotel. The neighborhood overall is very quite.

Staying in Gamla Stan or in the city center is definitely closer to shopping and the key sights, but if you are looking for something a bit quieter - the Marriott is a great alternative. If you do stay there, or any place where you are using the T-bana, buy the 72 hour card (about $23). It gives you unlimited rides on the T-bana, buses and some of the water ferries (like the Djurgården pedestrian ferries between Gamla Stan and the island with Skansen and the Vasa museum).

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
80 Posts
An idea....When you leave Copehnhagen drive north to Helsingor DE. and take the ferry to Helsgingborg Sweden. Avoiding the Malmo traffic and also a nice drive :)
I agree that it is a nice drive, but the road between Copenhagen and Helsingör is often a lot more congestive than the highway around Malmö. Especielly during morning rush hours. Then you have to add time to wait for the next ferry between Helsingör and Helsingborg, plus the ferry ride itself (about 20 min). All in all I would say it is a lot faster driving over the Öresund bridge and passing Malmö.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You might want to spend the night of the 19th closer to Gothenburg so you don't have to get up so early in the morning and worry about road conditions/being late.

We ended up staying in Ytterby just north of Gothenburg to avoid worry about arriving late for the factory tour (was closed during delivery day so we dropped off a day early).

One caution about Bed&Breakfasts in Sweden: some (most? all?) charge seperately for linens and towels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
One caution about Bed&Breakfasts in Sweden: some (most? all?) charge seperately for linens and towels.
Bed & Breakfast in Sweden (and Europe) can be everything from a cheap and simple room in the back of the house where the owners live themselves to a small and stylish hotel, where in the US it is (at least to my experience) almost certainly the latter. For some more information about bed & breakfast and guesthouses in Sweden see:
http://www.daysinsweden.com/

For people traveling on a small budget hostels can be an alternative, but then you will have to bring your own linens and towels. Breakfast is not included either (which it is on 99.999% of all hotels in Sweden). There are two hostel organisations in Sweden, both offer accommodations in cities and in the countryside. Some of these alternatives can sometimes be a bit "bed & breakfast"-like, a small cozy house in nice surroundings, but there are of course no linens, no towels and no breakfast included in the price (but it is often possible to add that to the price). Svenska Turistföreningen also offers accommodations in the mountains for people who like hiking.
http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/en/
http://www.svif.se/uk/

Another nice alternative is farmstay (swedish: bo på lantgård).
http://fm.publicum.se/BPL2/BPL.lasso?Val=BpLs01&Sprak=GB&ID=&KodTyp=&Kod=

For more information about different types of accommodation in Sweden:
http://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/Accommodation/Accommodation-guide/

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Red Leather, our B&B experience was primarily from England, Wales, Ireland, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland ("Pension" in the German-speaking areas), so the linen/towel charge was a bit of a surprise. Not something to really complain about, just something I wanted the OP to be aware of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts