SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting news out of CES. Volvo has partnered with Microsoft so that you can control your Volvo with the Microsoft Band 2 (Wearable).

Being able to speak a destination and send it to the XC90's Navigation system might help solve the voice command issue. I suspect this could lead to better tools with Android and Apple watches in the future as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/microsoft-volvo-band-2-car-unlock/

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Interesting news out of CES. Volvo has partnered with Microsoft so that you can control your Volvo with the Microsoft Band 2 (Wearable).

Being able to speak a destination and send it to the XC90's Navigation system might help solve the voice command issue. I suspect this could lead to better tools with Android and Apple watches in the future as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/microsoft-volvo-band-2-car-unlock/
Interesting - surprising that they'd decide to spend time working with MS, who haven't had much luck with any consumer electronics in the past. Perhaps MS will do the leg-work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
MS took over Nokia so it's probably more natural a partnership culturally than google or Apple. Besides the last two probably dictate to car manufacturers whilst ms given it's second tier current status might actually partner with them.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
MS took over Nokia so it's probably more natural a partnership culturally than google or Apple. Besides the last two probably dictate to car manufacturers whilst ms given it's second tier current status might actually partner with them.
True - I'd just expect the overlap of MS Band Owners who are Volvo XC90 owners to be very minute.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Interesting - surprising that they'd decide to spend time working with MS, who haven't had much luck with any consumer electronics in the past. Perhaps MS will do the leg-work.
I'm not sure I understand this. Can you clarify what you mean? MS hasn't had much luck with consumer electronics or did you mean Volvo hasn't had much luck with consumer electronics?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this. Can you clarify what you mean? MS hasn't had much luck with consumer electronics or did you mean Volvo hasn't had much luck with consumer electronics?
Please name a MS product sold in the consumer space that has been successful in the mass market? I can't think of any other than the Xbox.
Not to say the stuff lately is bad - it's just not as well received as Apple/Android.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Please name a MS product sold in the consumer space that has been successful in the mass market? I can't think of any other than the Xbox.
Not to say the stuff lately is bad - it's just not as well received as Apple/Android.
I can see that distinction.

But we need to keep in mind that Microsoft is a software based company that sometimes makes hardware while apple is a hardware based company that sometimes makes software.

The focus is different.

Also, Microsoft already has experience in vehicle implementions as well as other implementations that are fantastic such as their big-table operating system ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idIITDwzLMc&feature=youtu.be )

Microsoft is arguably doing things that are exciting while apple still doesn't even have a touchscreen laptop. Surface is kicking butt here, btw.

I'm no MS fanboy nor an apple fanboy. I use both every day. But MS isn't anything to sneeze at in this space and is definitely better at building interfaces in cars than either apple or android with many years of experience already doing so.

I'm not surprised Microsoft is doing anything in the vehicle space. I'm more surprised Volvo has partnered with them since the Swedes seem to like open source things more than proprietary things.

Maybe they will have to learn what Ford learned the hard way. Only time will tell, I'm sure.

It just might be a boon to both companies.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I can see that distinction.

But we need to keep in mind that Microsoft is a software based company that sometimes makes hardware while apple is a hardware based company that sometimes makes software.

The focus is different.

Also, Microsoft already has experience in vehicle implementions as well as other implementations that are fantastic such as their big-table operating system ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idIITDwzLMc&feature=youtu.be )

Microsoft is arguably doing things that are exciting while apple still doesn't even have a touchscreen laptop. Surface is kicking butt here, btw.

I'm no MS fanboy nor an apple fanboy. I use both every day. But MS isn't anything to sneeze at in this space and is definitely better at building interfaces in cars than either apple or android with many years of experience already doing so.

I'm not surprised Microsoft is doing anything in the vehicle space. I'm more surprised Volvo has partnered with them since the Swedes seem to like open source things more than proprietary things.

Maybe they will have to learn what Ford learned the hard way. Only time will tell, I'm sure.

It just might be a boon to both companies.
I disagree with most everything you've said. MS is not exciting in consumer electronics. They've lost tons of money, year over year, to the detriment of the company in this space.
Just look at the Nokia debacle and the billion dollar plus write down they took.
MS is smartly focusing on becoming a great services company - look at all of their success in the cloud space.

Apple is a design company that focuses on end-to-end ecosystems. The hardware is great because the software is great. They've always focused on both and there's a reason why they are the kings of consumer electronics in ways that no other company can touch. You cannot be a software company nor can you just be a hardware company - you have to have a design that does both equally well.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Great news to hear! Great part about the Microsoft Band 2 it works with all 3 mobile OS (iOS/Android/Windows) unlike Apple's and Android's smart watches only working on their respected mobile OS's. Doesn't Apple already have an App to work with the iWatch as well? I really see this a Win-Win for the tech industry if they offer universal apps to work on all platforms.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Great news to hear! Great part about the Microsoft Band 2 it works with all 3 mobile OS (iOS/Android/Windows) unlike Apple's and Android's smart watches only working on their respected mobile OS's. Doesn't Apple already have an App to work with the iWatch as well? I really see this a Win-Win for the tech industry if they offer universal apps to work on all platforms.
Yes, the VOC app works on the Apple Watch quite well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
But is it meant even for the present cars (like new XC90 just bought) or it needs to be a new generation of cars ? Or is it just a variation on VOC (that is not working here) ?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I disagree with most everything you've said. MS is not exciting in consumer electronics. They've lost tons of money, year over year, to the detriment of the company in this space.
Just look at the Nokia debacle and the billion dollar plus write down they took.
Q2 2014: http://www.extremetech.com/computin...trong-xbox-windows-phone-and-commercial-sales
Appearances can be deceiving: Despite its outwardly flailing demeanor, Microsoft has just announced record revenue and profits for Q2 2014 .
2014: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2456...ts-ceo-nadella-seeks-comfort-in-software.html

The company whose very name includes a nod to its software roots became one of the largest hardware empires in the world virtually overnight earlier this year, with its acquisition of Nokia’s vast phones business. That acquisition paid immediate dividends for Microsoft: Last quarter, Microkia actually sold more phones than Apple, at 36.1 million units to Apple’s 35.2.
MS is smartly focusing on becoming a great services company - look at all of their success in the cloud space.

Apple is a design company that focuses on end-to-end ecosystems. The hardware is great because the software is great. They've always focused on both and there's a reason why they are the kings of consumer electronics in ways that no other company can touch. You cannot be a software company nor can you just be a hardware company - you have to have a design that does both equally well.
I won't argue apple vs microsoft with you. This isn't about that at all. Also, I didn't say either was a purely hardware or software company. They both are a mixture of hardware and software but make no mistake, each focuses on one more than the other. It's why each iPhone is technically barely a step above the previous one. It's why each version of Office is only slightly better than the previous one.

But this is besides my point earlier.

The point I made was that MS makes good software implementations in cars. They've got both years of experience and arguably better tech than both apple and android in this area. This is debatable at the moment only due to the fact that carplay is barely out of the gate and it remains to be seen how good it is compared to other offerings.

But MS definitely has more experience in this realm, which is a good thing for Volvo.

And this is probably the most exciting part of this. That it is cross-platform. :D

·
Registered
934 Posts
I sent an email asking for additional info and this is what Volvo HQ said:

Thank you very much for your mail and your interest in our solution “Voice-control your Volvo through Microsoft Band 2”!

We will introduce this new possibility to connect with your Volvo as from week 17 2016 (that is in week 25-29 of April).
At that time we will make several updates on our Volvo On Call app.

At that moment we also plan to introduce “release notes” in the app. So when you enter the app the first time after the update you will get information about the new functionalities – amongst them also the possibility to connect to your Volvo through MS Band 2.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A few weeks ago I spent some time prototyping my own VOC app on Windows Phone with Cortana integration. This then automatically gives you "Band 2" support: you can initiate Cortana on the Band 2 by holding the action button. While conceptually this works well, especially because Cortana's voice recognition is much more accurate than Volvo's, the main issue I have is that you can only initiate Cortana from the Band when your phone is unlocked.

I'm curious if this limitation will be addressed by Microsoft. If not, in my opinion the Band 2 integration will be nothing but a gimmick.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would be happier if Volvo just delivers the software and features etc that they have already promised and iron out all the bugs before they go and do anything with Microsoft.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would be happier if Volvo just delivers the software and features etc that they have already promised and iron out all the bugs before they go and do anything with Microsoft.

Volvo needs to have partners because they just do not have the development capability in house.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Volvo needs to have partners because they just do not have the development capability in house.
Hello 9Volvis
Well better they focus on the current ones that they have and deliver what they have promised and sort the bugs out before spreading themselves thin with other partners.
Like any software the more different companies you have the harder the integration and each time you do a software update the release cycle is longer for all the testing and for each bug that comes to the surface you have different companies pointing the finger at each other.
All for the technology but Volvo have to sort themselves out first with what they have.
Regards

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
MS I believe created sync for ford.
And it was a horrible solution IMO. I sat for an our at the CES show a few years ago with someone from Ford in one of their first Sync cars. I'm a tech person - and I had a hard time with it. I even purposely rented a high end Ford once that had Sync - and after 4 days and a lot of hours behind the wheel ... couldn't get it to do a lot of the stuff it should be able to do.

While I don't actively follow Ford stuff - I believe they may have changed direction recently - maybe not even using Microsoft core for their latest cars?

Also they own HERE navigation which runs in Volvo and many other car companies now.
That's not correct. HERE has its roots in Navtech and is currently owned by a consortium of Audi, BMW and Daimler. Cite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)

·
Registered
603 Posts
And it was a horrible solution IMO. I sat for an our at the CES show a few years ago with someone from Ford in one of their first Sync cars. I'm a tech person - and I had a hard time with it. I even purposely rented a high end Ford once that had Sync - and after 4 days and a lot of hours behind the wheel ... couldn't get it to do a lot of the stuff it should be able to do.

While I don't actively follow Ford stuff - I believe they may have changed direction recently - maybe not even using Microsoft core for their latest cars?

That's not correct. HERE has its roots in Navtech and is currently owned by a consortium of Audi, BMW and Daimler. Cite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)
My bad about HERE.. They licensed it on their own products, I thought it was part of the buying parts of Nokia.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts