SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I posted a while back when I was deciding on what tires to get for winter. Well, I settled for Michelin X-Ice Xi3. So far we have had only one big snowstorm and I was more than happy with their performance. Obviously, they feel softer compared to my all season, but not too bad. They are pretty responsible, comfortable and quiet at highway speeds (80% of my driving), so I think they mach my needs very well.

So far so good, BUT I'm **very concerned** about their wear. I had them mounted on 11-17 (less than a month ago) and I have so far put 2,100 miles on them. I just measured the tread and I'm showing slightly less than 10/32nd on all 4 wheels. They seem to be wearing evenly. Michelin offers 40,000 miles pro-rata warranty, but they require you to rotate them and document when you put them on and take them off. I wasn't going to rotate, as they are wearing evenly, volvo doesn't recommend it and it's just a PITA to go to a shop (they want you to document your rotations for warranty purposes). I also can't find what is considered to be a worn winter tire - I found something about 2/32nd, but that sounds very unsafe for a snow tire. I don't think I would drive them with less than 6/32nd, but let me know if I'm being too conservative here. Anyways, so far it seems that these won't even last me two seasons! I have a '13 S60 T5 AWD. I know from my last poll that a lot of folks here have X-Ice Xi3 on their S60s -- what is your experience? Is this wear considered normal??

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
10/32 is how any new tire is delivered. You will almost never get a tire with more tread than that from the factory. Driving a tire like you have not in the snow, will definitely cause it to wear quickly. It is an amazing snow/ice tire, but will see increased wear when on dry pavement. Don't listen to Volvo regarding tire rotations, listen to the tire Mfg. You should be rotating your tires whenever the Mfg recommends or anytime there is more than a 3/32 difference between the front and back. The Volvo's being so nose heavy will cause this to happen to the fronts. Some tire shops care about the rotations for the treadwear warranties, others could care less. Really depends where you go. One of the other P* owners got his original set of Pilot Super Sports replaced under the warranty by America's Tire without having to show proof of anything, http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?260089-Fyi-michelin-tire-warrantee.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
According to Michelin the tread depth is 10.5/32" when new.
Riiiight. And when you pump a gallon of gas it puts exactly a gallon in your tank too. New tires have to be scuffed before being used, so will never be what the Mfg says they are.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
All good comments here, thanks. I measured them with my gauge when freshly mounted and it showed slightly over 11/32nd. perhaps I should get a better gauge.

anyone with these tires who can tell me how many miles were they able to put on them, just so I have a point of reference?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
All good comments here, thanks. I measured them with my gauge when freshly mounted and it showed slightly over 11/32nd. perhaps I should get a better gauge.

anyone with these tires who can tell me how many miles were they able to put on them, just so I have a point of reference?
Some fairly high mileages reported on TireRack:

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings-review.jsp#

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
your link doesn't work... but I have looked at tirerack before and didn't see any mileage data points for our (heavy) volvos
There not that heavy, they only weight about 3700 lbs. There is a Subaru Forester with 65k, a Mercedes 320 with 55k, a Ford Fusion with 22k and a Sienna with 55k, all of which weigh as much or more and are as nose heavy, except the Benz. Point is you will get a decent amount out of them. My guess is that its the warmer weather and maybe intial break in or a bad gague.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The biggest wear factor will be your driving style. Us P* owners tend to be very aggressive drivers, so we are getting about half the expected treadlife or less of our tires. I would expect you to do much better. The one caveat is that the more those tires are driven on "dry" pavement, the quicker they'll wear.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had them for a season -- last year, and they were where I would expect them to be this thanksgiving when I mounted them back on. I am with P50GT -- my driving style is what affects tire life expectancy the most, so YMMV, but they don't seem to be out of line w/ the other sets I had over time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to post an update in case someone comes across this topic. '13 S60 T5 AWD.

I just got my first rotation done -7,500 miles. Front Left 8/32, Front Right 8.5, Rear Left 10 and Rear Right 10. I do 80% highway driving, I would judge myself as a more dynamic driver than average. I'm in WI so temperatures are generally as low as they get in the U.S. We have not gotten a lot of snow this season, so quite a lot of driving on dry roads. I was surprised 11/32 -> 8/32 in 7.5k seemed excessive to me. But was told by tire shop folks that the top layers tend to wear out more quickly and that the rest should be wearing out more slowly. I guess we'll see!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Interesting... do those lower layers provide less grip then? What causes the top layers to wear faster? Is it a softer compound, or more flex/give?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I had the same question. Guy at Discount Tire sad that it's softer compound on top. He seemed knowledgeable, but who knows.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, winter tires have softer rubber on the outer layers compared to the carcass of the tire.

Loss of tread depth leads to both a loss of water/snow displacement, but also a loss of snow/ice traction as the softer rubber is lost.

Winter tires near the wear bars are largely useless.

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts
Just wanted to post an update in case someone comes across this topic. '13 S60 T5 AWD.

I just got my first rotation done -7,500 miles. Front Left 8/32, Front Right 8.5, Rear Left 10 and Rear Right 10. I do 80% highway driving, I would judge myself as a more dynamic driver than average. I'm in WI so temperatures are generally as low as they get in the U.S. We have not gotten a lot of snow this season, so quite a lot of driving on dry roads. I was surprised 11/32 -> 8/32 in 7.5k seemed excessive to me. But was told by tire shop folks that the top layers tend to wear out more quickly and that the rest should be wearing out more slowly. I guess we'll see!
Yes...that is true for most tires....the greater amount of tread results in a bit more tread squirm/wear and as the rubber is fresher/more pliable, it will wear more quickly in its early life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts