SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks -
My 2017 RDesign came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde summer sport tires - and unfortunately I ran over a screw. Costco Tire Center won't repair b/c Pirelli says not to for those tires. So I'm now in the market for 2 new tires at the minimum. I could either get 2 more Scorpion Verde's, or... I see Michelin has an Ultra High Perf All Season now!

So ... anyone have experience with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 on their 22's?

·
Registered
932 Posts
You are not considering having 2 Pirellis in one axle and 2 Michelin in the other axle, aren't you?

I had the Michelin Sport AS 4 in my previous car and I loved them but seems like an excessive cost to replace 4 tires because you had a flat in one of them. Not sure what's the maximum thread difference between the tires in one axle vs the other, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not actually considering mixing - I'm going all 4. Frankly, I've not been happy w/the Pirelli's since I've had them. made more road noise than my old ford edge w/all seasons. And having "summer perf tires" in Seattle where I live isn't ideal. I've had slight spins when its been raining a lot, which happens about 9mo of the year.

so i've been in the market for all-seasons on my 22's for a while now.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Out of curiosity why not just replace the one bad tire? Would the tread depth be that different between new and the other 3? Is shaving tread depth off the new tire, supposedly about ~$40, an option worth considering?

Also, I have 22" Pirellis (both summer and winter) with the PNCS on our quiet T8 and it is quiet. Have these been considered?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd give the Michelin's a shot. Just keep in mind any warranty or "harshness" warranties that apply when purchasing (Like a 30 day test drive type deal).

I ran over a screw on my old Ford Edge, and it was too near the sidewall for them to repair. The tires were nearly new...so I bought one of those plug kits from Advanced Auto. I plugged it myself, and it worked for about a month, but started leaking again.

Long story short, I replaced them with the tires you have now (Scorpion Verde's) after doing a ton of research - and I absolutely hated them. It changed the whole ride characteristics of the vehicle...The harshness, the road noise, etc... everything changed. That said - I feel like wherever you go from the Verde's will be an upgrade, but the warranty is something to keep in mind anyway, just in case you get them and you're unhappy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I deal with an independent family owned tire shop. They have been in the business for over 40 years.
They said that they do not see any reason that Pirellis can’t be fixed. So, I’ve had them repair pirellis without an issue both regular and run flats.

BTW, in December I bought our CPO XC90 R-design which came with the 22” pirellis summer tires also. I wasn’t going to go through a Pittsburgh winter with summer tires, so I had them pulled and put on 285/35r22 Pirelli Allseason 2 plus. Close enough in size but cost is almost half the 275’s Plus many more brands availabel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts