SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current stock tire 235/55R19 Continental CrossContact LX Sport is running low on tread with only ~33k mileage. Do you guys have any experience with Michelin Defender LTX tires which are currently on sale plus mail-in-rebate? are they better in terms of longevity and ride quality than Continental?

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had mine since I changed at the 40k mark, up to almost 60K and so far so good. I think they're significantly quieter than the original Pirellis, traction is good. I also had 3 punctures on the Pirellis and none so far on these, not sure if luck or quality. I did have a small stick puncture the Pirellis so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Michelin. As I was looking through tirerack.com review on defender, I see some complaints from SUV owner about the fact they are truck tires rather than highway touring tires, which makes me worried a bit. But I do see a lot of praises too about its traction and quietness too just like you did. Very interesting :)

I guess I will give Michelin a try. I feel like the continental I am having now is quite noisy on the highway and despite the fact I rotate them every oil change, I still have significant uneven wear on the outside of tires in the front now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Look at the CrossClimate as well. I purchased them and I am quite happy. Huge improvement over the Pirellis which were absolute garbage. CrossClimate is quiet and smooth. I will say that the tire is a bit more "squishy" feeling. The Pirellis were a little better from a steering precision perspective but not a huge difference. In addition, the tire is rated to wear a bit better than the LTX. With that said, I had a set of LTX's on another car and they were great tires as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very happy with the LTX tires on my XC60. Outstanding in the rain, wet roads. Quiet on dry roads. Snow? I live in Florida.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the advice. Just came back from dealership today with Michelin Defender LTX put on and alignment done. Surprisingly based their alignment measurement before and after, it seems that my alignment was that bad after all even with 3+ years of driving in unforgiving northeast weather and horrible road with never ending potholes.

The only reason I can think of causing uneven wear is tire pressure? for a period of time, I did not pay much attention to tire pressure which went down as low as 32 psi where recommended value is 38. Could that be the case?

anyway, will see how long this set of Michelin will last. Tread on new Michelin is about 10 to 11/32 based my measurement, which I believed is more than Continental CrossContact.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Low tire pressure would cause both inner and outer tread to wear, not just one side. That was caused by the misalignment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts