SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am keen to install some of these http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept/36-004/2004_2012_Volvo_S40_RWD_.htmMGP Caliper Covers to my 2011 S40 FWD. However as the website states RWD only... surely this is a typo? I have been advised by another member that they will fit 300mm rotors which I have, can anyone confirm this? Also I would like to know if they suit my brake caliper?

So if anyone has experience with these I sure would appreciate some input
cheers
Gary (Aussie)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
first off ... when you click on that link it says S40's are rear wheel drive only...

second .. do you want a peice of plastic to come off near your breaking and stearing system while going 50+ MPH?

third... thats just rice.

i reccomend paintting your callipers or getting a BBK

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i think that car just looks really dam good and those calliper coveres ruin it to be honest. IMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first off ... when you click on that link it says S40's are rear wheel drive only...
Did you read my post at all???
second .. do you want a peice of plastic to come off near your breaking and stearing system while going 50+ MPH?
They are tig welded aluminium!!
third... thats just rice.
Please explain to a dumb Aussie what this means? I was after some experienced input... not his ill advised drivel...

^^^ Actually, I think they look pretty damn good man...check this thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...r.-New-photos.
This members car is AWD and they fit his, he has 300mm rotors. I am still waiting to here back from him if our calipers are the same.... I just got impatient

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I think that's alot of $$$ for just covers. paint them yourself and put the extra $$ towards another project on your car.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Ya I'm sure theyll work perfect but as stated above I think painting them yourself is a much better alternative. There to expensive for something that's only astetic. I'm torn on these though. on one side there different and I think hey those are kinda neat, and then I think hmm those look really cheap and generic like something in the rice section at autozone.

Ps. Rice is a rascist term used here in the states used to out people who make there cars look like the ones from the first fast and furious movie. For example big wing, loud muffler, ugly aftermarket rims and a neon kit on a 150hp car = rice

Since we're already on the topic of fake covers these are only 20$ for all 4 pcs on eBay, comes in many colors and look more like a caliper. However there plastic and are held on with apoxy but 20$ seems way better then 200-500$ dollars for fake covers. Just saying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm pretty sure Gary (OP) was looking for technical advise and not criticism. I'm also pretty sure if EvolvO saw those covers in person, he may change his opinion. Trust me, they would have never stayed on my V50 if there was even the slightest feel of cheapness. Fake brands and fake pistons (like above) is not cool. But a clear-coated piece of solid aluminum that has been custom shaped to the OEM caliper, then engraved with the R-Design logo and placed on an R-Design car, doesn't cross the unclassy line in IMO.

Gary, I say go for it!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
But once you cross the 400$ mark don't you think that's expensive and you might as well get some legit calipers? Of course it his his money and no one can tell him how to spend it. But this is a public forum by posting here its a given that criticism is gonna be apparent but I hope none of it was taken to offense to the OP Or anyone for that matter. Simply posting opinions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once you cross the 400$ mark don't you think that's expensive
The price is $200 for a full set of front and rears :) With the Aussie $ doing a little better than the US$(sorry guys) I think its a fair deal
I hope none of it was taken to offense to the OP
No offense is taken if it is an educated or informed opinion. I do however get annoyed when people post without reading nor understanding the original query. If an OP asks for opinions, then fair call... by all means flame them if you feel the need. But if someone were to ask for some advice, they seek information not attitude or judgement. As a very new member, but short term lurker I have found on the whole this forum is an extremely valuable resource of information and I am very grateful for it... thanks to everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
15,146 Posts
I just want to ask... What wheels do you have? I mean... if you have really close spokes, I would just paint them since they can't really be seen. But if your wheels are really open, then definitely pull out the money for something a little more showy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's $200 for the base set and $400 for custom. To be honest (and I apologize if this sounds too critical) the stock set with the fake bolts and MGP look a bit cheesy (but quality of materials are high). If you can swing it, go for the higher end option and get a clean/shaved cover with an S40 logo or something more OEM. They can also color-match to your wheels or car.

PS - I liked these so much I just ordered another set for my XC60 R-Design:)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i did read your first post and usually i dont trust a website that doesnt have their information right.

I still say its UNclassy. especially for a price any were over $100.

dont get me wronge RESNONE1's car is BEAUTIFUL but i felt those caliper covers ruined it for me, its not my car so im not going to be like "take them off!"

Did you check to see if these fit between your calliper and rim? and i still wouldnt want some cover over my brake calliper, what i said before still stands.. what if it comes off while your cruising?? i dont care what material its made out of or what it says on it. if it came off its being flung somewere by your braking and stearing system.

also how much gunk is going to pool up underneath that plate against your caliper.. cant be good either.

Paint it or go BBK

i dont offen trade aesthetics for safety.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't like how the website tacks on all these little fees here and there for custom color and engraving not to mention these are gonna make the calipers so hot your gonna experience some break fade eventually.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just want to ask... What wheels do you have? I mean... if you have really close spokes, I would just paint them since they can't really be seen. But if your wheels are really open, then definitely pull out the money for something a little more showy.
I've just picked up some 18" midirs from the spare parts counter at the dealership.... now to save for some tyres

·
Super Moderator
15,146 Posts
I've just picked up some 18" midirs from the spare parts counter at the dealership.... now to save for some tyres
Good choice, definitely need to show off those calipers then. I too am going 18", but I've already got a little, subtle, something something planned for my brakes.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
resnone1 is already running these, they will fit. What stopped me from buying them is A> to much $$$$ and B> they think our cars are RWD lol
PM him because I believe he is the only member to run that product. It looks good just to rich for me =(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts