SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a good reliable methanol setup for the r cars. A former coworker of mine has a t5 s60 with some serious mods includIng methanol which he's said keeps his air box sweating cold in the summer. We all know of the poor intercooler setup with these cars. I haven't heard anything to convince me an ipd or viva intercooler is worth the time and money. What do you think.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Any suggestions on a good reliable methanol setup for the r cars. A former coworker of mine has a t5 s60 with some serious mods includIng methanol which he's said keeps his air box sweating cold in the summer. We all know of the poor intercooler setup with these cars. I haven't heard anything to convince me an ipd or viva intercooler is worth the time and money. What do you think.
Go custom ! I am only saying that because i went custom saved a lot of money learned a lot and have had great gains. For the methanol a lot of people go with AEM progressive, or if you want to spend the big bucks you can go with aquamist. If anything i would go with a intercooler first though

·
Registered
727 Posts
where are you located by the way?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The intercooler is DEFINITELY the way to go, given the choice between that and meth. But to answer your question, I have the AEM setup and I love it. Simple, high quality, and it works.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can custom make a FMIC and piping test for under $400 (I spent $200 on a Mishimoto unit and $185 for cxracing piping and couplers). It was one of the most upfront installs and all you'll need is basic tools, very straight forward.

As for Meth/H2O injection I'd say Snow Performance is a very good quality vendor in the WMI market & that's who I am planning on going with. I'd suggest reading up on the progressive type of injection or a boost controlled system that functions off the quantity of boost pressure from your turbo.

Good luck on either of the installs which ever you do go with post up a write-up with some pictures and let us see what route you went.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It depends....would you plan on tuning for meth, or just running it to cool down temps a bit?
I would say just run it as a safety item. I actually asked george about this the other day and he recommended not turning for it because you will still be gain some timing because the ECU will not detect knock, and incase it fails your car will be okay. Unless the OP is interested in getting a failsafe. If its a daily driver though i do not know how good of an idea that will be.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I would say just run it as a safety item. I actually asked george about this the other day and he recommended not turning for it because you will still be gain some timing because the ECU will not detect knock, and incase it fails your car will be okay. Unless the OP is interested in getting a failsafe. If its a daily driver though i do not know how good of an idea that will be.
Agreed, meth should be used as a safety procedure unless you're racing... If you get stranded and run out of meth, the stuff they sell in Springfield isn't the proper consistency, and you will be screwed.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
OK, I have to add my two cents here.

I ran stage II with stock intercooler and aquamist, and I ran the blue wiper fluid without issue. And I never ran out of fluid either. When light goes on, I add. Pretty intuitive. I keep a spare gallon in the trunk too.

I should also add that even without the aftermarket intercooler, every R driver who drove my R was amazed at how much quicker I am, so the gains are there too. Like Anthony pointed out, the ECU can advance the timing safely because there is no knock, period. Even at 18-22psi.

My recommendation is to do water/meth EARLY in your build. FMICs are great, and they certainly result in gains, but they do not protect your engine from catastrophic detonation as well as h2o/meth does, especially in high ambient temps. Just ask any mechanic who's dealt with cracked blocks on tuned motors how many of them had h2o/meth.

You can always add a FMIC or IPDIC later on, but IMHO, if you want the best combination of performance and protection, do the water/meth first. There really is no downside.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
includIng methanol which he's said keeps his air box sweating cold in the summer
Not sure what he means, since water/meth is injected into the intercooler plumbing, AFTER the airbox. Was he merely being figurative?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
OK, I have to add my two cents here.

I ran stage II with stock intercooler and aquamist, and I ran the blue wiper fluid without issue. And I never ran out of fluid either. When light goes on, I add. Pretty intuitive. I keep a spare gallon in the trunk too.

I should also add that even without the aftermarket intercooler, every R driver who drove my R was amazed at how much quicker I am, so the gains are there too. Like Anthony pointed out, the ECU can advance the timing safely because there is no knock, period. Even at 18-22psi.

My recommendation is to do water/meth EARLY in your build. FMICs are great, and they certainly result in gains, but they do not protect your engine from catastrophic detonation as well as h2o/meth does, especially in high ambient temps. Just ask any mechanic who's dealt with cracked blocks on tuned motors how many of them had h2o/meth.

You can always add a FMIC or IPDIC later on, but IMHO, if you want the best combination of performance and protection, do the water/meth first. There really is no downside.

adding water/meth with or with out a tune right away?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
adding water/meth with or with out a tune right away?
I think it was pretty unanimous that unless you are really wanting to push things, without a tune for the meth is the right way to go.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts