SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. 2005 S40.
Driving home, part of my road is dirt and gravel. Then it goes back to tar. Once we hit the tar, I thought someone on the radio was making this annoying noise, so I shut the radio off, and no, it was my car. Sounded like something metallic grinding front driver's side tire. The noise was related to the speed, slow down and stop and the noise slows down and stops. Speed up it speeds up and gets more high pitched.
Today I put it on ramps and pulled off the plastic under guard, everything seems connected (i am very lacking in knowledge in what I am looking at, just making sure nothing had disconnected and was rubbing up against the rim). Banged what I could of the brake pad from the outside figuring maybe I had picked up a pebble.
At one point the noise stopped but when I went to make a left out of the driveway, the noise returned...loud metallic screeching. I pressed the brakes a bunch of times and now the noise is gone, but I am wondering if I am dealing with something more serious...maybe bad control arms or something else...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hi zephead98,
I've run into this a few times. Rocks and small pebbles can sometimes get caught between the rotor and the rotor/dust shield causing a lot of noise. Try tapping the back of these a few times and see if anything drops out.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Bad Control arms wouldn't make a screeching sound.

Like msmith said, it's probably the dust shield behind the brake rotor. There is a metal shield that is between the hub and rotor to protect that area from brake dust.

It's a thin piece of sheet metal, and sometimes gets bent to a point that it rubs against the rotor. It may have stopped because it simply wore down to a point, or become un-hooked on the rotor.

Lift the car up on the side you hear the noise and look at if the dust shield is rubbing, or tight, or any area of the rotor. Report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is sand or dirt somewhere in the wheel indeed. I had it once on a sandroad. The sound was really worrysome and sounded like something really was wrong. Someway the V50/S40 wheels are susceptible to this, I heard many owners about this.
What often also helps is reversing a couple of meters.
Hey all. 2005 S40.
Driving home, part of my road is dirt and gravel. Then it goes back to tar. Once we hit the tar, I thought someone on the radio was making this annoying noise, so I shut the radio off, and no, it was my car. Sounded like something metallic grinding front driver's side tire. The noise was related to the speed, slow down and stop and the noise slows down and stops. Speed up it speeds up and gets more high pitched.
Today I put it on ramps and pulled off the plastic under guard, everything seems connected (i am very lacking in knowledge in what I am looking at, just making sure nothing had disconnected and was rubbing up against the rim). Banged what I could of the brake pad from the outside figuring maybe I had picked up a pebble.
At one point the noise stopped but when I went to make a left out of the driveway, the noise returned...loud metallic screeching. I pressed the brakes a bunch of times and now the noise is gone, but I am wondering if I am dealing with something more serious...maybe bad control arms or something else...

Any thoughts?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi zephead98,
I've run into this a few times. Rocks and small pebbles can sometimes get caught between the rotor and the rotor/dust shield causing a lot of noise. Try tapping the back of these a few times and see if anything drops out.
Must have been a pebble or grit. Drove forwards and backwards a few times, it stopped,now all is silent! The dust guard looked to be in solid shape, so I don't think anything is rubbing. Wow, the noise! I thought I should pull over and walk home, it sounded THAT unsafe.

Thanks for the replies! She's going into the shop on Monday anyways for new tires, I am sure they will look around and see if anything else is amiss.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've had rocks stuck between the rotor and dust shield many times, sounds horrible but easily fixed. Usually just a quick reverse a few feet and the rock falls out, other times a flick out on the dust shield is needed to release the rock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts