SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this rattle that I hear when coming to a stop. It sounds like when a heat shield is loose or something to that effect. A really thin metal-like rattle. I've checked the heat shield over the turbo to see if that was loose from doing the wastegate turns, but that is tight and secure. I can mostly hear it from the passenger size and it's more pronounced when stopping next to a car where the sound bounces of the other car or retaining walls. Exhaust bracket is gone too. It's embarrasing stopping next to cars with this noise. Anyone here had this rattle before?

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Check all the heat shields that line the propshaft/exhaust tunnel from the engine bay back to the rear end. If the bolts were not tightened sufficiently after removing the exhaust bracket, I believe this can rattle.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You might want to check the heatshield around the muffler as well - when replacing my rear sway bar last weekend, we realized that that shield was loose and only had one cap left securing it to the vehicle!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: (Arbelac)

Check to see if your cat has a heat shield. I think some do (not sure though) and they're tack welded on. I remember something like this giving me a similar rattle some 10 years ago.<p>You can also put the car up on ramps, start it and see if you can pin point where the rattle is coming from. Be careful if you get under the car while running though, check for leaking (hot) fluids 1st and what not, wear safety glasses, make sure the car is well secured in place and in neutral.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Metallic Rattle (hoagrod)

i had the same issue on my 2006. I checked everything.<p>I made an appointment at the dealer to have then look at it on friday. But that wednesday before, i had 4 new tires and an allignment done.<p>Driving home from the tire place, i noticed the rattle was gone.<p>I drove back to talk to the tech who worked on the car and he didnt recall anything being out of sort.<p>I can only surmise that something on the front end was loose, and when they did the adjustment for the allignment, it tightend something up.<p>2 weeks now, and no issue.<p>good luck.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Re: Metallic Rattle (hoagrod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>hoagrod</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A really thin metal-like rattle. I've checked the heat shield over the turbo to see if that was loose from doing the wastegate turns, but that is tight and secure. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Try driving for a few minutes with that heat shield removed completely and see if the noise goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts