SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I would post this here as well as my build thread as its a great story...

Well I have some unfortunate(maybe fortunate :D ) news. I was out Christmas evening with the girlfriend grabbing a bite to eat. A worker from the restaurant was going around asking if someone knew whose car had license plate XXXXXX. I looked up and told the girl it sounded like my car. I confirmed from a couple photos I had in my phone. I literally jumped for joy when she told me my front bumper was toast. Sounds awful but I needed a new one from lots of road grime and rock chips...

She told me a guy had left with a woman and backed into my car and then proceeded to hop the curb and take off. Most likely drunk is my guess as they were at the bar. They got the plate number and I called the police. The damage was the front bumper, grilles and some marks on the headlight. The police showed up, took all the information down and started the report. Mid report, the officer told me someone with the same license plate was at the station filling a report saying someone hit them and drove off (Me). Obviously this was not true and the officer noted all this in the report, as we had eye witnesses.

I did a preliminary assessment and started a claim with my insurance company. I have to wait til Monday for the Police report so I can file a claim with the other parties insurance and get my car fixed. The adjuster for my insurance cannot come out til the 4th...major bummer as my car will now be sitting unattended for god knows how long. I will be doing the repairs my self as I do not trust giving my car out to a shop, and the parts I can all order through work. I really hope this works out in my favor as I was CLEARLY not at fault.

I did a rough estimate on the parts needed and the full retail cost of the insurance adjusters. I am sure the other guys insurance will be more lenient with what gets replaced as their customer was at fault vs my own fault her. My other concern is if they replace the headlight, it certainly will not match with the other undamaged side, I would hate to have one new headlight and one old pitted headlight. Also my current headlight has scratches and a chunk taken out of it, but not completely cracked or through the case...assuming that qualifies for a replacement. I am also sure they will try to give me used parts, which would not make me a happy camper.

I know I can locate parts cheaper, this is merely to show the adjusters. If there is anything you think I may be missing feel free to chime in.

Part Part Number Retail Cost
Bumper 39811153 $868.56
Headlight 31383072 $1184.64
Bumper Foam 31353220 $104.48
Grille 31323099 $282.76
Lower Grille 31290983 $55.85
Insert Left 31290979 $46.04
Bracket Left 31290977 $26.79
Bracket Left 30795048 $26.79
Shipping $200

Total$2795.91

Enjoy the photos

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Sorry to see the damage. That was one heck of a parking lot hit and run!

Have you directly handled an insurance claim before where you were the "repair shop"? From my past insurance repairs, that's not trivial work seeing what the repair shops need to do. Why not find a reputable repair shop and let them handle it?

I sincerely wish you the best on getting your car repaired. Would be interesting to see you post your experience with this self repair via an insurance claim if you continue down this path.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, that looks like a pretty good hit from backing into you. Also, very devious of the other party to file a claim that you hit them at a gas station - never thought of that one!

Good luck getting your car repaired. Good thing it just looks like superficial damage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am sure the other guys insurance will be more lenient with what gets replaced as their customer was at fault vs my own fault her.
Ha! Good luck with that. I'd let your insurance company battle it out with theirs. That may be easier if you have a good repair shop doing the work though.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I agree with the others, you should have a qualified shop do the work. You dont know how hard the car was hit. They may find something you dont know even exists that could put you or family at risk if you ever are in a collision. I was weary of shops when our first S60 was hit by hail. But the dealers have qualified Volvo body shops, and damn did they do a great job. 72 hail dents and you would never have known. I would find a Volvo certified shop to atleast get the insuranse estimate from, so you get as much as possible, whether you do it or not.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the concern everyone. This is not the first accident that I have looked over/repaired my self. The last one involved frame damage and I did use a local shop for that. I was very thorough and there appears to be zero damage other than the bumper. Of course once the cover comes off, then I would be able to tell more.

The last accident I had, I had all the parts at my house and choose to repair my self so the parts would not go to waste. Same case kinda applies here. I love doing my own work and would rather not deal with a shop unless it comes down to that. :) Keep you all posted!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
12/28/15

Police report is not ready yet. They are having a detective investigate this incident so they are not allowed to had out any information. :(

We now sit and wait.

C

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update.

We were able to located the driver who hit my car and their insurance is accepting full liability.

I had my insurance adjuster come out as well as the company. Quote from my insurance company came in at $32XX after I told them halogen headlight will not work on my car....The other guys adjuster came in at $31XX on the first try. Looks like I should hopefully be getting this wrapped up soon and back on the road.

Mini parts list of the major items being replace:
Bumper Cover
Absorber
Headlight
Upper Grille
Lower Grille.

Will have the bumper off in the next couple days to ensure no future damage.

C

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Here's to your R-design getting fixed up as good as new.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
...after I told them halogen headlight will not work on my car...
Heh, they tried to quote a halogen headlight in replacement of your Xenon headlight? Wow, nice try adjusters. :)

Best wishes on getting your car fixed up soon!

Btw, did you ever get the story from the other party on how they managed to do that much damage in the parking lot?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heh, they tried to quote a halogen headlight in replacement of your Xenon headlight? Wow, nice try adjusters. :)

Best wishes on getting your car fixed up soon!

Btw, did you ever get the story from the other party on how they managed to do that much damage in the parking lot?
I didn't, I'm assuming they were drunk and mashed the gas real good...

Cannot wait to be back up and running!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I didn't, I'm assuming they were drunk and mashed the gas real good...

Cannot wait to be back up and running!

That would take big Huevos to 1) Be drinking 2) Hit & run and for a trifecta go to the Police in that state of mind and claim the other guy H&R.

Wonder if the guy will get a false claim charge...or a DUI

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
That would take big Huevos to 1) Be drinking 2) Hit & run and for a trifecta go to the Police in that state of mind and claim the other guy H&R.

Go big or go home I guess....:)

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

According to the detective on my case he did not know about any one reporting an accident....So there seems to be some miscommunication going on here :( oh well ha

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Please post updates... You may be dealing with this for a long time!

Make sure you have the contact information for the restaurant witness and ask for their surveillance tapes. Even the inside ones would be good if they show that you were inside at the time of the other-guy-claimed-accident.

I can see one scenario where it would make sense for the other driver to claim hit&run -- they weren't driving when the accident occurred (girl friend for instance -- who was intoxicated while the owner was sober).

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Good to hear the news. Care to share some pics of your handiwork?

·
Registered
25 Posts
what did you end up doing with the damaged headlight projector? I might be trying to source a projected for a motorcycle project :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts