SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving a 2018 V90 T6 AWD Polestar with barely 15,000 miles on it, so I'm looking to the future, not asking a question for the right-now.

We all know that with direct injection, our intake valves get carbon-coated on the backside. I use Techron direct-injector cleaner every 5,000 miles, but that only mitigates any buildup on the injector nozzles themselves, and they're probably pretty clean anyway, what with being right in the combustion chamber.

Is there anybody out there who is having routine preventive maintenance done by having the valve backsides mechanically cleaned, like with a small wire wheel or whatever would be used by a skilled technician? If so, how often is it recommended that this be done? (I say "recommended" advisedly, since I don't think Volvo recommends it at all.)

Or is this a non-problem, i.e. leave the valves alone unless you have to get into that part of the engine for some other reason?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it till you hit 50k. I did it on my bmw using walnut shel blaster and took me 5 hours. It looked nasty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I know some Volvo techs and dirty valves hasn't become an issue they see much yet. They see it on cars with poor oil change history and some that used oil and got rings. If it ever needed doing the intake on the 4 cylinder is easy to get off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Make sure you use oil with lowest NOACK possible. Forget Castrol from Volvo dealer, Pennzoil is OK but not the best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts