SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, nice to meet you all and what I great community you have here. I have a question that is semi related to Volvo, but I don't know where it belongs, so I am posting it here.

My turn signal arm on my S60 broke, it's no longer signaling left or right all the time. I didn't look it up, I assumed it had to do something with my steering column which I'm not equipped to repair so I took it into a mechanic to look at while he did some other work on my car and he said it would have to be replaced, and he'd have to order the part from the dealer.
But after doing some research, I saw that it was a pretty simple task. I followed a video and took off the steering cover, unplugged the arm and cleaned the contacts, put it back on and now it has been working perfectly for the past two days. The problem is I got a call earlier from the mechanic saying the part was delivered. He also told me he wanted to bring my car in to see if it was the right part if not he'd have to exchange it. I explained to him that I didn't need the part anymore, it's working again, and asked if he can return it. He told me he doesn't know, this has never happened to him before either. He said for an electrical part the dealer may not accept returns because there is no way to know if it was used or not. Which struck me as strange because he just said that it could be exchanged even though the part was technically used and found not compatible. He also said it's hard to believe I fixed it, which struck me as indirectly accusatory. I won't be doing business with these guys again because they went against my wishes and ordered parts without my consent and installed them when I just asked them to inspect it. They work fine, but he gave me Monroe struts instead of a few brands I really wanted.

I just wanted to know my rights as a customer because this has never happened to me before. I am obligated to pay for it? I didn't give him a deposit, I didn't sign any papers, he wrote a note on the bill for the other work he did that the turn signal part was ordered, but that's it. No doubt they're going to try their hardest to sell it to me, but I just wanted to know if most Volvo dealers allow returns from mechanics and if that bit about electrical parts was true. The only weird thing is when he was doing work the first time he wanted to see my insurance card for "just in case" and I'm not sure why. I've asked a few people I know what they think, the general consensus is that I don't owe them anything and he can't force me to pay for it since nothing is in writing. And that he should've done a better job inspecting it to rule out the minor issues. But I wanted to also ask the mechanics and car enthusiasts of this forum before I ask him back.

What do you guys think? Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Legally, nothing in writing, you shouldn't have to pay.

Where did the mechanic order the part from? Jokes on him if he didn't buy it from a place that offers refunds/returns. I won't even buy used parts off ebay without a 14 day return policy. But if he bought it from a dealer, they'll take it back.
If it's just a turn signal stalk... That's $30-$100 depending on where they bought it from. If things get hairy, I would just tell him that you'll pay for the return shipping and/or you'll pay for the part. Then list if for sale yourself.

But a dealer shouldn't be selling used parts. So it should be in a box, in shrink wrapped plastic. He shouldn't have opened it if he did.

I encountered a similar problem at the Volvo dealership. I went in to have something fixed, they thought they fixed it with new parts, but they did not. Upon my complaining, they did not charge me for the labor to install the parts, but I willingly paid for the new parts that were on my car. After all, I did get the new parts. But I wasn't going to pay more than I had to since it was their own fault for a misdiagnosis. But in that instance, the parts were actually on my car.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You likely have a verbal contract with the mechanic since you took the car to them to be fixed -- allowed them to order the required part.

Besides that, will you want to deal with them again in the future?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Happens all too frequently or worse yet.

Guy I work with has a 2011 Accord 150K miles, dash lights up ALL the warning lights, car died. New battery and alternator $700.00 later. SAME ISSUE after driving it 2 miles!
Turns out a bad ground/corroded wire.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mechanics don't generally mess around with old parts trying to nurse them back to life. It's not cost effective for the car owner either, as you need to pay for labor on a half-assed fix which may or may not hold up.

You asked him to fix it, and he procured the part. Now you want to back out. That's how I see it

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
But as far as the mechanic might know, the problem was a misdiagnosis on his part... The problem was fixed without his help or the parts ordered.

Cid, did you pay the mechanic for his time to diagnose the problem the first time? If he did that for free and assumed he would get paid once fixing the problem, I can see him wanting some compensation then.

But still, problem fixed without his help or the part. Pay him for the time he did serve, he should be able to return the part without issue. If there's an issue with returning it, then that's his own mistake for ordering parts from a place that doesn't accept returns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts