SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been lurking since picking up my 2005 S40 T5 (M66, FWD) about two years ago. She was in rough shape when I got her so I've been fixing it up slowly but surely. I have a G37 that was my primary focus but I've since finished modding her as far as I'm willing to go; now, it's the S40's turn...maybe.

Using the information on this site, I've been able to Stage 0 the car and have added all new fluids, plugs, PCV, catch can, etc...and have also changed the timing belt and water pump. The first hurdle, outside of normal maintenance, to overcome was the two piece heater core piping o-ring failure under the dash. It dumped coolant into the passenger foot well with no warning. Luckily, it was still cold outside (didn't overheat) and I was down the street from my home when it happened. After that, I notice I was losing coolant again...this time, it was the upper radiator hose failing. I saw this can happen again due to the three piece design so I picked up the Do88 silicone set of radiator hoses.

Fixed that but then realized the rear calipers were frozen when I went to do a brake pad change. The calipers were originally the small 280 caliper. so I upgraded to the 300 while I was there.

Lug nuts were all shredded as well; that was fun. Seemed as though a few ugga duggas too many resulted in the tops of the lugs being sheared and rounded off. Extractor socket had to be used to get them off. Gorilla brand lugs are on the car now. Shortly after lugs and brakes were fixed, the front passenger axle boot ripped and flung grease everywhere. I bought a re-manned axle and installed and have since rebuilt the original so I have an extra now. I was almost finished and ready for performance modding when during the bedding in procedure for the new brake pads, the clutch went to the floor and stayed there after a 1-2 shift.

As you may have guessed, clutch and slave were toast. After sitting for the better part of a year, I got the Viva SMF and R clutch kit and just finished installing that on the car as of this past weekend. I'm still working out some kinks. Car will shift fine then refuse to go into gear all of a sudden. If I turn the car off then right back on I'm good to go for a bit before it does it again. Thinking I have some air that needs bleeding from the clutch still or the cables need replacing.

Anyways, I'm at the point were I'm back and forth between keeping the car or selling it. Part of me thinks the car will be 100% issue free the moment I let it go while the other seriously believes this car is cursed. Luckily for me, the S40 is insanely easy to work on; which is the only saving grace. I had the idea of doing some extensive modifications but I'm a bit hesitant now with all the issues I've encountered.

Anyways, Going to post up some pictures of the car and my journey so far when I get home. Just figured it was about that time to make an intro

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Cool, welcome.

Yes you are and have been encountering every issue possible with this car. It is a sad and frustrating thing until you understand it is normal in owning a post 100,000mi volvo. They are high maintenance and stuff happens. All. The. Time. Once you get all those wearable parts replaced, they're very good. Most of us aren't lucky enough to have them happen all at once and have a period of good life with our cars - usually it's a nagging constant every 10,000mi something goes wrong.

Sorry to hear yours had a rough life. Mine has sustained less damage in the last 5 years with me and 3 kids than it did in it's first two owners (one who hit a trailer hitch/totaled the car) and one who just didn't ever fix anything on it (the combined last 9 years of it's life) - but it is the one car in my house I trust to NOT get stuck in the snow/slush/blizzard.

Keep the car - realistically you've encountered all the failures we have all encountered over time and fixed them before catastrophe struck - so now it will relatively be a good car. I won't trade mine for a long time, more than likely, much to my wife's dismay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's what it seems. Everything has struck within a 1000mi. The car was a one owner until it came to me. Meticulous notes all the way until 86k miles but the last 20k are unaccounted for. It appears the car was simply neglected and sat. Completely expected some issues but after driving the car yesterday, it appears the front left brake caliper has frozen. Either that or the pad is dragging horrendously; sounds like metal on metal but both rotors and pads are new.

I learned to drive on my step dad's S40 back in '05. So the car has a bit of a nostalgic grip on me. His was the NA 2.4; it was the first I learned of 5 cylinder cars and I thought that was neat at the time. Car was rock solid for the 90k miles he owned it. Learning of the family tree and similarities between the T5 S40 and the European Focus ST was really what peaked my interest; along with the sturdy drive train. A compression test showed steady pressure across all cylinders and a wet test confirmed her health.

Ideally, the S40 was meant to get a 6MT back in my life to compliment the G37. For all the good qualities of the G it's major issue is the God awful 7AT in that car. All interest in going FI went out the window. So, the S40 T5 seemed like a good choice and a fun project. Doesn't seem like anyone mods these cars (at least from what I've seen around me); which is surprising. To be honest, when I was pursuing a 6MT for under $5k, I didn't even think 'Volvo' until I saw a modded Saab drive by. Light bulb went off after that.

Hoping with full bolt ons, IC, and a tune I can push the K04 to give me 300whp/300wtq. Seems like that isn't out of the question based on what I've read here.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
it appears the front left brake caliper has frozen. Either that or the pad is dragging horrendously; sounds like metal on metal but both rotors and pads are new.
Does it happen any time you're moving? If so, it's common to have a small stone get caught behind the dust shield and make such a noise. It can also come and go, if the contact is just right.

If not, front calipers rarely stick in these, especially the larger 320mm ones like you likely have. Stick a piece of wood through the wheel gaps and whack the caliper with a small sledge. Cramp the wheel fully over and do the same on the back side. It's a single piston so focus on the moving part.

The cars are definitely tweakable, and comfortable/enjoyable. Give this one a chance maybe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it happen any time you're moving? If so, it's common to have a small stone get caught behind the dust shield and make such a noise. It can also come and go, if the contact is just right.

If not, front calipers rarely stick in these, especially the larger 320mm ones like you likely have. Stick a piece of wood through the wheel gaps and whack the caliper with a small sledge. Cramp the wheel fully over and do the same on the back side. It's a single piston so focus on the moving part.

The cars are definitely tweakable, and comfortable/enjoyable. Give this one a chance maybe!
Thank you for the suggestion. Just went back out to looks and the heat shield was the exact issue. I had checked for rocks or stones a few times now and the dust shield did not appear to be making contact. On further inspection, the bottom of the dust shield bends in at a 90 degree angle and was barely making contact with the rotor. Pushed it back and the noise is now completely gone. Thank you very much!

Safety inspection set for Thursday. Pending how she does, I'll move forward with officially keeping the S40 as a project.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Oh yeah, "swollen nuts" are common on the early ones. A 20mm socket (hard to find) is the simplest approach. Replacing them outright is better.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm interested in hearing more about the catch can.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I'm interested in hearing more about the catch can.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
+1
Are we talking the hose between the PCV and the bottom of the intake manifold? Or are we talking the hose up top that goes to the valvecover? I have an old catch can hanging around here I used on the harley, might as well put it to good use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see what I can do about getting the photos to show. They may be a bit too large; causing them to be attachments.

I copied a set-up I had seen on here about a year ago; when the car was first bought. I'll have to look to verify but I'm 99% sure it is between the PCV and Intake manifold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts