SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys have been pushing for a DC MD NOVA show of some sort. I may have some progress on that, though I would need help from you guys to get other Volvo owners to show up and take part. <P>On the location end, I think we may be able to put something together with Annapolis Volvo Subaru. One of our staff is good friends with them, and they are interested in getting involved in some way. Our staff member doesn't think it'd be a problem to use their back lot or possibly even their garage for a location.<P>The other issue is attendance. We'll have to push people to bring thier Volvos down to the show, but I think I can get people like IPD and others to donate some prizes or door prizes. I'll work on this.<P>The guy I met from K&W Enterprises up in MD says he knows a bunch of Volvo owers up there who would be into some get togehters, so I can make sure he gets the word as well.<P>The only remaining question is date? This warm season is pretty much over, but perhaps we could do some sort of December event in Annapolis, or maybe we should just wait until next Spring.<P>We'll need at least a few weeks to get things together like venue, prizes and getting the word out.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Hmm...seems like you have everything all sorted out already.<P>Regarding the date, I would say we need more time to prepare this. And some time in December would be almost gambling with the risk of having some crappy weather. <P>I'm more for next Spring kinda schedule, I know for sure I won't want to take my baby out in the snow and et salt on the wheels(that was just way too costly to refinish them last time).<P>And I'm pretty sure these vendors would probably need some time to prepare something for us.<P>What kind of turn out do you have in mind, George?<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the salt is a good point. December in MD tends to be tame, but the moment we go planning something, you know it will snow. Perhaps Spring is the best bet. Carlisle is in May, so we could either go for April (there's usually still a good chance of snow in March) or we could wait until summer. I just don't feel like waiting that long.<P>How about a December casual (LARGER) get together to see if we can gauge how many people we can GTG. Perhaps more like an open house at Annapolis Volvo with some door prizes. If I am going to ask for door prizes from vendors though, I'm going to want to get at least 20 cars at the get together, and that's a lot more than we've had at our smaller DC get togethers.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
That sounds good...<P>I have no problem meeting whenver....just the matter of if I would take the C70 to attend the event or not depending on the weather.<P>Anything will do for me.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think 20 cars would be no problem with enough notice. That first GTG there were about 10, and there's been several new people at the ones since. If we can just get all of them together at once, 15-20 should be easy, plus whoever else decides to come who's never been to one of our little meetings. I can count 14 different people who have come to at least one of the gtg's (not including Greg who moved back to MA).<P>Mid to late March or early April would be a great time for a big show. I'll check around to see if there's anything major already scheduled for next year at that time (do you know if that VCOA show in FL has been rescheduled?) You could also ask around at different sites to see how many people respond to whether or not they'd attend a show in the area. I know there are several people who post at the brickboard RWD forum that are between northern VA and Baltimore.<P>BTW, George, have you had a chance to scan those 240 brochures yet? There's no rush, but I wanted to make sure you hadn't forgotten about them.<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think that timing is the best. I don't think 20 cars would be that tough. If we hit the local smaller independent Volvo businesses (Trollhatten in Essex, MD, K&S in Baltimore, Skandinavian in Rockville, MD, Martin Motorsport in Alexandria, VA etc. I think we could get a decent group together). That's not even counting letting the clubs and other message boards know.<P>On the 240 stuff. I scanned it like the first week I had it actually. I need to get it up on the site now. It's enough to launch a 240 gallery with. I was hoping to make that last GTG to get you the books. I won some more off ebay, and I'll be scanning those in also. Is it okay to hang on until the next GTG or would you prefer I just drop them in the mail to you?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
George, you can just hold on to the brochures for now. I don't need them right away.<P>I just picked up a lot of old IPD catalogs. I can't believe all the stuff I missed out on! Wheels, spoilers, body kits, spoilers, other exterior stuff, and did I mention spoilers? There was quite a selection, and some great pictures too.<P>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts