SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 655 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
McShake's Diesel Wagon / Offtopic Bonanza / Roadtrip Photo Thread

I've been lurking in and hijacking threads here for a while now, so instead of spamming there, I might as well show off my wagon here. First off, I am norwegian, and while I compared to most norwegians am very fluent in english, both verbal and written, now and then I do drop the occasional grammar turd, typo or whatnot (which is particularly hard, since I am a grammar nazi in my native tongue) - so please excuse or even better, point out the mistakes I make.

So, yeah. 28 years old right now, a trained electrician, on my third Volvo, fifth car. Quickly got into modifying, maintainance, and all inbetween on my first Volvo, a '93 850 GLE (144hp/206Nm N/A over here). Did a lot of mistakes, learned from them, and improved on them for my nexr car, a '99 V70 2.5T AWD manual. An old injury in my left foot in need of surgery, for which I am now on sick leave, got me thinking about an auto wagon december '15. That lead to this car, an '07 V70 AWD D5. I haven't seen much diesel talk on SS, figure some of you might find it interesting.

It's a previous taxi, so it's got substantial mileage, but maintainance intervals for taxis, atleast here, are twice as often, so it's been taken well care of. It's the D5244T2, 185hp/400Nm engine, got the six speed TF80-SC AWD tranny, and more or less every piece of equipment. It's a Kinetic base, though.

477 Electric Silver
Bi-Xenons
Premium Sound
Sunroof
Full leather sport seats
Black interior
Wood trim and three spoke steering wheel (going off in a while)
HU850 w/sub, RTI and phone
Removable trailer hitch
Rear parking assistance
Thor winter wheels and some off brand summers
Folding mirrors blahblah

Since tsking ownership mid december '15 I've done some mods and upgrades, like adding an OEM aux high beam kit, swapping burnt front fogs for LED units, anthracite plastidip on the grille and wheels, DIM swap for a S80 unit, LED interior lights, a little exhaust mods for that #becauseracediesel and so on.

Welcome to Norway.

So, yeah. I'll try and keep a little log of progress here, and it's not very much besides maintainance, small mods like lowering, lights and wheels - but my projects have gone wild before, so never know what's gonns happen;)

Oh, the "Offtopic Bonanza" referred to in the thread title is excactly that. I have a tendency to veer off topoc easily, and since you have all been very forgiving here, as long as it's car related in some way, go to town. This is social as well as practical for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks like it's in great condition, well done! Your fog lights look awesome, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch. I am partial to normal halogen fogs, but they burn out the bulb holder and cause all kinds of havoc. These LED units fit right into where the bulb holder used to be, sealed up with silicone and all is good.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pretty nice car. Most people in the states aren't familiar with the diesel engine so 185 hp doesn't look like much but keep in mind that the engine puts out 300 lb.-ft. of torque which is the same as an R. I imagine it's no slouch.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty nice car. Most people in the states aren't familiar with the diesel engine so 185 hp doesn't look like much but keep in mind that the engine puts out 300 lb.-ft. of torque which is the same as an R. I imagine it's no slouch.
Well, it's definitely not slow - but it's a very different experience than an R. First off, the RPM redlines at 4.5k RPM, but has maximum torque from around 1800 RPM. The six speed auto does a nice job, it just pulls and pulls, and easily overtakes whatever you need to. I do miss the intense sound of my old '99 2.5T at 5.5k RPM but it's a minor thing. This is probably as quick 0-62, and it does it all at an average of 38MPGs. Driving painfully correct, I can get it down to 45-50MPGs;)

Due to my left foot and the surgery I've had, I've been hopping around on crutches up until last weekend. Finally had a chance to do a proper hands on washing today. Can't wait for it to warm up a bit, so I can do a good detailing.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Excited to watch your build thread. I remember your '99 from the time I spent in the P80 X70 forums—that thing was sweet!

Did you take pictures of your LED foglight mod? I'd be interested to try this. Is it noticeably brighter?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excited to watch your build thread. I remember your '99 from the time I spent in the P80 X70 forums—that thing was sweet!

Did you take pictures of your LED foglight mod? I'd be interested to try this. Is it noticeably brighter?
Thanks! Yeah, I miss that car. From a daily driver point of view, it was the perfect mix of power, comfort, stiffness (largely thanks to IPD sways) and ride height.

I've got some pics from the LED mod somewhere, I'll see if I can dig em up. The light output is about the same, depends alot on what you're used to. In pitch dark it's enough to drive slowly in but more important, they're a perfect color match to the OEM xenon bulbs. Stay tuned, I'll find them.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So fog light LED mod. I've done LED bulbs before with varying result, mostly bad because LED bulbs with a decent light output is usually followed by a driver and cooling fins. The bulbs fit the socket, but not the plug or the bulb holder. So what I did here was remove the bulb holders completely, insert standalone LED DRL modules and connect them to the fog light harness. I'm mixing my own and a buddys pics here, he's done the same thing.

Not really that much to show. Remove the back part, insert and align DRL, make it watertight using silicone or similar, and connect. The connectors showed what is very common in Norway - salt, rust, and heat as a consequence.

So I got some generic connectors and hooked them up to the factory harness. End result:

I like the light alot, but for me it's a look thing, everyone with an interest in cars over here run fogs and parking lights during the day. DRL wasn't really a phenomenon here in 2007, so we didn't get the DRL option you guys have on the R's (6V bulbs in high beam position). The lamps I got from a norwegian dealer, but ebay have similar lamps. Key is the diameter, this one is 72mm wide, with some spacer rings you grind down to fit inside the light housing, and silicone it shut.

http://www.dioder.no/products/ns510-led-drl-kjorelys-kraftig-hvitt-lys-9-32v

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some random pics to get the thread rolling

LED bulbs in the aux lights are not as long range as a decent set of HID buckets, but it is just enough spread and range, without overpowering or inducing too much glare from roadsigns and stuff. Hard to capture a good representation of the light from a cell phone, but it's a vast improvement over the OEM high beams.

It's all in the details.

Dog gate from an '04 XC70.

No nivos on this one. There probably was, but since it's an old taxi, they were probably swapped when the nivos went belly up. Car has done 183k miles at present moment.

It also has the CPM module in front of the drivers side front wheel. It's an Ardic/Eberspacher unit, natually runs on diesel and does take a bit of maintainance. The internal diesel nozzle tend to fail and pump way too much diesel in, resulting in a thick layer of fog that's made people think my car's on fire a few times.

The sunroof is a blessing when the weather it nice, but there's a miscalibration or something going on. When I return it either from the rearmost position, or the tilted position, it returns to this spot, with a millimeter opening on the rear side. Is there a calibration option in VIDA or is it adjustable physically?

·
Registered
162 Posts
An AWD diesel car is a dream of mine. I feel like it's a niche market, but if you lived in a rural, snowy area, I can see it being necessary or desired in the states.

Love your car, the LEDs look great. I have some as my parking lights right now, but they're small and don't require extra cooling. I'd love to do LED low beams but having to get fancy with the cooling scares me.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the exact reason why I've steered away from LED lows. The light is awesome, and longevity compared to HID's, but the cooling issue and the fact I don't know how the spread pattern would be, is why I haven't tried. My aux lights are cheap, and with decent amount of room behind the reflector for cooling, but the headlights are hella expensive, and compact. I've heard rumors of people running LEDs without issue, but I'm very happy with the OEM lights, so I'll leave them.

The LEDs in the aux lights are $50 ebay items, the ones with a fan behind the bulbs. No issues, and I've been running them since january, with alot of use.

A niche market? Guess that's all down to the US fuel culture. Here, every third or so new car is a diesel AWD.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Love your wagon! Will be following...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love your wagon! Will be following...
Thanks, bud. I hope I can inspire you guys as much as you and others have inspired me.

Looks Good,

What led's Did you use for the dash ?
Didn't. The LEDs in the DIM for '05 and later are soldered down, no swappable LEDs. I am somewhat proficient with a soldering iron, but that stuff is TINY, so I quickly gave that up.

I got the idea from adam.nonis here on SS. He pointed me towards a colored gel film used alot in theatre lighting. Got a sample off ebay, and it works perfectly.

The clock and odo screens are a bit trickier, but I basically wrapped the film around the LEDs.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few weeks ago I had some clunks and clanks from what seemed the front left corner - and nothing seemed out of place, until I hit a really sharp bump and the whole car seemed to jerk left. Got the tape measure out, and the car is almost an inch lower on the front left wheel - as I was on crutches diagnosing wasn't easy, but I can confirm a broken spring. Can clearly see the broken coil in there. Eibach Pro Kit came three days ago, got Spring seats, strut bearings and shock mounts from FCP a few days before that, just waiting on my new shocks to go full #racewagon, hopefully next wednesday when I'm back home.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm already lowering the V60 I haven't even bought yet in my mind The influence here is strong...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A little lowering with quality parts is almost always a good thing - but in your case, you should remove the sway bars for that extra wheel articulation;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
A little lowering with quality parts is almost always a good thing - but in your case, you should remove the sway bars for that extra wheel articulation;)
On the XC? This has been an ongoing debate I don't want to clog up your thread with, but essentially the conclusion I have come to after much research is that the on-road benefits of the IPD sways outweigh the off-road drawbacks given the existing limitations of the vehicle.

It is not--nor will it ever be--a rock crawler that requires serious articulation, and in its day to day duties it could really benefit from the beefier sways. They're sitting in my basement but I hope to have them in by summer at which point I will report back extensively.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If not, I'll buy them, easy. Had them on the '99, love the change they made in the feel of the car.

I hear you on that, I'd love to have a really low, stiff and grippy ride, but as a daily it just serves no purpose besides being uncomfortable.

1 - 20 of 655 Posts