SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i put in a turbo xs standard mbc today and did some tests, but i may have something wrong. With everything stock my car boosts a measly 3-5psi. i turned up the mbc a few turns and still only getting 3-5psi. It is connected correctly but im worried its somthing else?

Noticed a few things.

-oil dipstick handle broke off and spewing a little oil from tube (will be fixed today)

-The top of the turbo where the tube that goes over the motor, where it couples from tube to turbo is wet with oil.

-IC connections look ok but do have a little oil residue but not alot.

-bottom of turbo seems dry (no signs of bad seals?)

-I do have a sunpro boost gauge that was used in a sti that was boosting at 30psi when the gauge only boosts to 25 (it wasnt used a ton and was changed as soon as it didnt boost enough on gauge)

-Where the boost line connects to vaccuum tree seems to be a little loose and may leak?

Could someone help me out a little im new to turbos and just trying to get everything in order so i dont blow it up

Keep in mind i have mbc set all the way down so its not adding any boost untill i figure out where im actually boosting.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Model/year of your car?

Oil in the charge air pipe is pretty normal with an aged car, it's blowby from the turbo. My car does it a bit. Eventually it just mean's you'll need to rebuild the turbo but it should still last a good while.

Spewing oil from dipstick tube? Do puffs of smoke come out as well? Sounds like you're due for a PCV system.

Why did you decide to go to a MBC instead of just a replacement TCV and good tune?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98 volvo v70xc with 133k and Nono let me re word this, the dipstick handle broke leaving just the stick and pipe so pressure is just pushing it out i think....And i did an mbc because my buddy was giving it to me for 15 dollars and im on a very tight budget so i figured why not. I just fixed my vaccuum line to vaccuum tree for the guage and it seems to be working better, i also did some research and read that longet hoses from wastegate to mbc could cause spiking? i shortened them up

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I understand what you meant, but you're not supposed to have any pressure really in the dipstick tube, that's a sign of a clogged PCV system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts