SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey so Im a little stumped to what is causeing my awful mpg, about 18 mpg highway.

I live in denver and use premium gas. Im not a heavy foot and the boost rarely gets above 5 psi

here is a list of what ive changed with no luck
-viva cbv
-ipd plugs and coils
-boost pressure sensor
-ipd tcv
-engine oil Valvoline 5W 30 full synthetic
-Trans fluid flush
-All new vaccum lines
-checked tire psi

EDIT: New Injectors and cleaned intercooler plumbing -the intercooler

The couple things I can think that are causeing mpg but I would like some of your input on whether it would cause that bad mpg

=Wheel bearing possible the driver side front is wearing out
-Fuel Pressure sensor, but I have no idle or fuel problems that I can tell of. I checked idle psi and got about 58 psi but it was bouncing a bit. +, - 5 psi
-PCV oil trap, mine has been bad for a while but I have one in the mail. Does this cause bad mpg?
-gunked up intercooler?

and before you ask, yes I calc my own mpg and Ive replaced the air filter and cleaned both the MAF and throttle body.

ANY help would really be awesome. Just throw out ideas. This bad MPG is killing me and IDK what to do

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
It's because the broncos picked up manning .

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Well you're AWD so that's going to kill your mileage a bit.
I'm awd and I'm getting 26-27 mpg average. 18 is not what I'd consider acceptable!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Just a thought, i used some Lucas fuel treatment and it boosted my avg from
Around 20 to 23 mpg I'm happy with that at 3.48$/gallon it cost 36$ to fill up and last about two weeks if I coast like a boss.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Damn how hard are you guys driving? Less than 25 mpg is crazy imo.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How many miles are on the car, I'm thinking O2 sensor. Maybe it's in a limp mode, does it have any codes? How about your right foot, does it feel kind of heavy? All make a pretty dramatic difference in mileage.

Hope we can help, good luck.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If I'm driving her really hard (which does occasionally happen) she gives me about 19 mpg. But I'm fwd.

Yes, my apologies for making Volvo drivers seem like a-holes from time to time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's because the broncos picked up manning .
+1 lol

I just got mine and haven't figured the mileage yet... by my approximation (based on the MPG of my prior car with a gas tank ~2gals smaller and a long roadtrip home) I should be getting around 25... but I'm fwd w/o Turbo :T

Sent from my Sidekick using Tapatalk and ur mom!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont understand, How could you get 27mpg when the AWD is rated for 17-25 at least mine is 09 S40 AWD T5. I'm only getting 16 in the city with maybe 22 in the highway!! I do have a set of heavy pegs with225/45-17 installed.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said im not a lead foot at all.

No codes

and wouldnt an O2 sensor throw a code if its making it run rich....

I know altitude kills a couple mpg but ya 18 is bad

I tried Tebowing, but still nothing

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont understand, How could you get 27mpg when the AWD is rated for 17-25 at least mine is 09 S40 AWD T5. I'm only getting 16 in the city with maybe 22 in the highway!! I do have a set of heavy pegs with225/45-17 installed.
I'm awd 6spd and in Denver as well. 05, 93k miles bone stock. I calculate my MPG at every fill up. I drive like a gramps mostly and have seen as high as 29 mixed city and highway. Its never dropped below 24 MPG in city.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
How many miles on your car? The PCV does effect gas milage but not to the extent of 5-6 MPG which your off. Did you have Volvo run for DTC's? Or did you use a generic code reader (like whats offered at autozone). Also think smaller, an old crappy air-filter for example can cause you to lose 3 MPG average.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Good Morning , Where are You ?

If Your over 50,000 miles - Plus IKH22's from Viva !
If it's over 5 yrs. of Heat , Your Summers are Hot , You haven't taken Off the Engine Bay Gasket to rid the Area of Heat during those Times , then IPD's HD Coil Packs.

Low Cost Items : Air Pressure , Alignment , Brake Fluid . :)

Other might tell You what to expect . Like Tuned 22 MPG most of the time Higher on Trips

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has New KN Air filter

New IPD Coil Packs and Plugs

Engine Bay gasket is removed

Had the ecu VIDA scanned by a pro. no codes

Just changed brake fluid, alignment and checked air pressure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A little more work but you may try to do Stage 0. Took me from getting roughly 21 mixed to 25 mixed with closer to 30 highway.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little more work but you may try to do Stage 0. Took me from getting roughly 21 mixed to 25 mixed with closer to 30 highway.
If you read my posts youd see that Ive done stage 0 minus O2 sensors but they arent giving any CEL so I didnt do them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts