SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
That's a smart way from some dealers to shut you up... In reality, they didn't find the real issue nor they applied the right remedy hhhh.

Honestly, these bushings do ware out but, for a brand new car (less than 60K miles) , I really don't expect that.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
Accidently confront a notorious North East USA pothole and one's car suspension can be seriously damaged at 60k, 6k, 600, 60 or 6 miles. I'm very sympathetic to ManBearPig's issues with his car, but I am unsure if he is the original owner or bought as a used car. If used, don't know how many owners the car had or where it was driven by the other owner(s). Lastly, don't know if the problem was evident since new or at a later point in time. Hopefully the thousands of dollars spent by Volvo will help to remedy the situation. It looks to me that, by ManBearPig being politely persistent with the dealer and Volvo, he got them to install a significant number of parts, at a considerable cost.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Accidently confront a notorious North East USA pothole and one's car suspension can be seriously damaged at 60k, 6k, 600, 60 or 6 miles. I'm very sympathetic to ManBearPig's issues with his car, but I am unsure if he is the original owner or bought as a used car. If used, don't know how many owners the car had or where it was driven by the other owner(s). Lastly, don't know if the problem was evident since new or at a later point in time. Hopefully the thousands of dollars spent by Volvo will help to remedy the situation. It looks to me that, by ManBearPig being politely persistent with the dealer and Volvo, he got them to install a significant number of parts, at a considerable cost.
ye NJ roads can brake your suspension in 1 day and NY in 2 hours.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Just a quick follow-up. Do you know what they set the tire psi at? On my V90, the door panel stated 36 psi, yet the car arrived at 32 psi and the ride was rough. After inflating to 36 psi, it's better.
I still have to go check this, i keep forgetting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I am the original and first owner, brand new car. And while I did originally think the car was significantly improved after this last visit, I've taken two 30-mile trips and the car is sadly significantly worse. The whole body shaking it does is something it's never done before. It feels like what a scared dog looks like, the whole thing just shutters and random, 60 and above now. Not continuously, but a lot. I really need to go out with tools and make sure everything is screwed on tightly for the wheels. This was a downgrade from how it was last week. But I'm not calling them back, they have proven that they lack the talent and desire to fix this. I'm going to let the corporate guy know of the longer term results but i'm going to seek an independent shop from this point.
I was kinda hoping a few trips would break in the new tires, but the car just feels weird on the road now. The butt/back/body shaking feeling is something I've never felt a car do before with any kind of tire imbalance. Maybe something will fly off, cause me to wreck and total the thing. :)
And yes, Atlanta has potholes to rival NY and NJ. They replaced two of my rims earlier this year, and on the next repeated visit "your rims are bent".. replaced those.. The corporate guys came in "your rims are bent".. like, jeeeze.
I thought being a little more persistent over the year would fix the car, but I honestly think the SPA1 has a problem that they just can't identify.
I am keeping the car for now, but I think it will tear itself up the way it is shaking now. Such is life.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
I am so sorry to hear. Didn't know you are the original owner.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The corporate guys came in "your rims are bent".. like, jeeeze.
Not sure if you have any energy left to throw at it, but it's pretty easy to see if a rim is bent. Just jack it up, grab some good light and your best eyeglasses, and give them a spin, one at a time. Make sure to check both outer and inner lips.

This spot-checks not only the wheels themselves, but also might identify issues with how the wheel mates to the hub, and also any issues with the bearing/hub/disc assembly.

With the wheels in the air, try find any slack by FIRMLY lifting the wheels (perhaps using a 2x4 as a lever) and then trying to turn the wheels left/right against the locked steering wheel. You should feel no slack at all. When I do this sort of thing, I also grab different shape pry bars and screwdrivers and pry around on all joints. Sometimes it takes a lot of force to find the slack.

I wouldn't blame you if don't have the appetite for this. Suspension work sucks.

Your dealer should have done all of the above. You might want to ask specifically about it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, I sorta disagree with that statement. The OP reported significant improvement by replacing suspension components and wheels/tires. This suggests to me they are in the right ballpark. However, since it sounds like multiple changes were made at the same time, it's difficult to identify the real culprit.

Just curious about the root cause. I like to play "forensic mechanic".
Sometimes, this is more psychological than a true belief. Usually, people try to convince themselves that there are some improvements. In reality, the issue still there but you won't notice until the second or third day after that psychological feeling of improvements starts to disappear.

I wouldn't say that this happen to all warranty cases but some of them yes especially when the source of issue is not clear (i.e. Vibration, Rattles, etc..)

Yes there are some variations on how long a suspension part will last since it's mostly dependent on the road conditions. However, for a brand new car with less than 25K miles, there shouldn't be any issue in any of those suspension components (bushings/rubber). It's kinda impossible that these parts completely wore out to the point they cause severe vibration in the whole car cabin.

My ex S80 (FWD) had around 170K miles. Even with that mileage, it was much much smoother than my current S90 when bought CPO.

However, luckily and after the many parts the dealer and I replaced on my S90, it's now much smoother. Still not as my S80 but at least I can live with it...

To note, 2/3 of the parts the dealer replaced weren't not the root cause of the vibration I was experiencing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am the original and first owner, brand new car. And while I did originally think the car was significantly improved after this last visit, I've taken two 30-mile trips and the car is sadly significantly worse. The whole body shaking it does is something it's never done before. It feels like what a scared dog looks like, the whole thing just shutters and random, 60 and above now. Not continuously, but a lot. I really need to go out with tools and make sure everything is screwed on tightly for the wheels. This was a downgrade from how it was last week. But I'm not calling them back, they have proven that they lack the talent and desire to fix this. I'm going to let the corporate guy know of the longer term results but i'm going to seek an independent shop from this point.
I was kinda hoping a few trips would break in the new tires, but the car just feels weird on the road now. The butt/back/body shaking feeling is something I've never felt a car do before with any kind of tire imbalance. Maybe something will fly off, cause me to wreck and total the thing. :)
And yes, Atlanta has potholes to rival NY and NJ. They replaced two of my rims earlier this year, and on the next repeated visit "your rims are bent".. replaced those.. The corporate guys came in "your rims are bent".. like, jeeeze.
I thought being a little more persistent over the year would fix the car, but I honestly think the SPA1 has a problem that they just can't identify.
I am keeping the car for now, but I think it will tear itself up the way it is shaking now. Such is life.
Do yourself a last favor and try to replace/tight the front two shaft bolts. Use threadlocker (important) and tight the bolts to the correct tourqe spec. I'm confident this will solve your vibration issue if your Tires/Wheels are perfect. I read your post again and since they replaced the control arm, they might messed up with the tourqe spec in the shafts bolts. This can explain why you felt a worse vibration. Also, if they actually removed those bolts and didn't apply threadlocker, those bolts will loosen up after at max 100 miles of driving.

As DIY, follow my instructions carefully in post # 55 above.

I would say certainly, this is what have truly fixed things on my S90. The vibration in the seats, console, cabins was because of the excessive shafts play when these bolts were under tourqed/loose. Unfortunately, they damaged other parts as well which the dealer luckily replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Do yourself a last favor and try to replace/tight the front two shaft bolts. Use threadlocker (important) and tight the bolts to the correct tourqe spec. I'm confident this will solve your vibration issue if your Tires/Wheels are perfect. I read your post again and since they replaced the control arm, they might messed up with the tourqe spec in the shafts bolts. This can explain why you felt a worse vibration. Also, if they actually removed those bolts and didn't apply threadlocker, those bolts will loosen up after at max 100 miles of driving.

As DIY, follow my instructions carefully in post # 55 above.

I would say certainly, this is what have truly fixed things on my S90. The vibration in the seats, console, cabins was because of the excessive shafts play when these bolts were under tourqed/loose. Unfortunately, they damaged other parts as well which the dealer luckily replaced under warranty.

If we get a day in the 50s or 60s I'll see if I can get out there. Work has been busy by day an evenings are chilly. I have a shop that works on my Honda, I'll ask if they can do this type of check/tightening for me. I know it's easy, but I don't mind keeping this shop in business.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
I'd suggest you not take it to a non-Volvo store for further work. There's something to be said for not having "too many cooks in the kitchen" especially in a potential lemon law situation - I can see the potential for finger pointing all around. I tend to doubt your problem is loose axle bolts and having them the proper torque is about the most basic exercise on these cars if the dealer was already in there doing other things. If they seriously did not torque the axle bolts properly then I'd have serious doubts about anything else they did. My experience with axle bolts is that when they're not torqued properly you can hear clicking or axle "ping" - I've never experienced vibration from that. Just my 2 cents and YMMV. Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd suggest you not take it to a non-Volvo store for further work. There's something to be said for not having "too many cooks in the kitchen" especially in a potential lemon law situation - I can see the potential for finger pointing all around. I tend to doubt your problem is loose axle bolts and having them the proper torque is about the most basic exercise on these cars if the dealer was already in there doing other things. If they seriously did not torque the axle bolts properly then I'd have serious doubts about anything else they did. My experience with axle bolts is that when they're not torqued properly you can hear clicking or axle "ping" - I've never experienced vibration from that. Just my 2 cents and YMMV. Good luck.
Probably the techs did not apply threadlocker when they re-installed the bolts after the control arm got replaced. Therefore, they can easily loosen up after driving the car for awhile due to load/road imperfections. Also, loose axle bolts/ under torqued bolts not necessarily will cause clicking/ping noise. When both front axle bolts on my S90 were under torqued, they didn't cause any noise whatsoever but they caused severe vibration because of shafts excessive play.

Anyway, the shaft bolts are easy to check, replace, and tight. Four new bolts with a good threadlocker will not cost more than 12 bucks! The only thing you will need to remove is the wheel caps and you will have access to the bolts. Easy task that might solve OP issue.

Just to note... Sometimes you have to intervene to do the job right and save your self the headache and fight with dealers tech. 12 bucks does not worth the trip to the dealer and fight with the dealer.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts