SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
I've seen similar complaints as yours, although the frequency is low. One would think that Volvo would want to ascertain the cause(s). My guess is the problem may be the uneven quality of suspension and/or drive train components. Or, there might be a fault in the production process. In any case, whatever the cause(s), Volvo corporate should "see-the-light" and try to determine the underlying reason(s). If they only were as thorough in addressing this issue, as they do when researching "safety", IMO, this would have/should have been addressed long ago.

VOLVO CORPORATE ... IF YOU ARE LISTENING ... WHY NOT DO THE RIGHT THING AND LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I bought the car April 2019, reported the problem on the 30-day checkup, May 2019, they brushed it off. Returned April 2020 with a list of issues and first year oil change. Has been back at least once a month, some cases twice a month, one case 21 days, since April. This last 3 week visit has been in the hands of "Volvo corporate representative and corporate tech". They were the ones who swapped for brand new rims and michelins, even tho we have already swapped rims and tires with another brand new S90 (but they were the Pirellis). Time will tell. Lemon Law does mean I will not get some of the money back due to allowable mileage, but that mileage is locked at the start of the process, so April 2020. I'm hoping, but i'm also tiring.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
IMO, need Volvo-Sweden engineers involved. Wonder if there's a way to deal with Volvo-Sweden directly?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
IMO, need Volvo-Sweden engineers involved. Wonder if there's a way to deal with Volvo-Sweden directly?
Calling customer service USA is certainly never going to do it. I have never heard a less interested support center in my life the three times I've called. Rude, inconsiderate, disinterested, as if they are insulted to have to answer the phone. I can only wonder that Volvo has been a different/better company in the past, this is my first and will certainly be my last.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
The following is Volvo's USA Greensboro NC corp offlce phone number. Suggest trying to speak with the head of customer relations. I did this approach when I needed to cut through the b.s. with Mercedes Benz, and was abe to connect with a responsible person. Worth at least a try. Pays to be politely persistent.

1-336-393-2000

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
The following is Volvo's USA Greensboro NC corp offlce phone number. Suggest trying to speak with the head of customer relations. I did this approach when I needed to cut through the b.s. with Mercedes Benz, and was abe to connect with a responsible person. Worth at least a try. Pays to be politely persistent.

1-336-393-2000
Thank You. I will give it a try.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Hi, ManBearPig. I'm sure you've researched everything from everywhere. In case you missed this, here's a video that talks about your issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This last 3 week visit has been in the hands of "Volvo corporate representative and corporate tech".
It sounds like the dealership elevated the matter and Volvo is engaged with the intent to resolve. Did you get the name and contact info of the 'corporate representative'? It seems that he/she will be best able to tell you what next steps and timeframe are, though they may want to funnel all communication through the dealer service manager for continuity, which is understandable.

Calling customer service USA is certainly never going to do it. I have never heard a less interested support center in my life the three times I've called. Rude, inconsiderate, disinterested, as if they are insulted to have to answer the phone. I can only wonder that Volvo has been a different/better company in the past, this is my first and will certainly be my last.
I've had nothing but exceptional service when I've contacted Volvo US Customer Support on three different matters by both phone and email. They were polite, professional and clearly committed to resolving my issues.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Don't disagree that the dealership and Volvo have been cooperative and helpful. However, based on the inability to remedy this issue, particularly after numerous attempts, perhaps it's time to bring "the big guns" in from Sweden to analyze and resolve.

While not widespread, there is also no dispute that others have suffered the same issue. One would hope that Volvo would find it in their best interest, and the customers', to determine the cause.

ARE YOU LISTENING, VOLVO?

PS: I have also used Volvo customer service in the past, and found them to be very good. However. ManBearPig's issue, IMO, may be beyond their capability to determine the root cause and resolve. We all know that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same things and expect a different result.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I bought the car April 2019, reported the problem on the 30-day checkup, May 2019, they brushed it off. Returned April 2020 with a list of issues and first year oil change. Has been back at least once a month, some cases twice a month, one case 21 days, since April. This last 3 week visit has been in the hands of "Volvo corporate representative and corporate tech". They were the ones who swapped for brand new rims and michelins, even tho we have already swapped rims and tires with another brand new S90 (but they were the Pirellis). Time will tell. Lemon Law does mean I will not get some of the money back due to allowable mileage, but that mileage is locked at the start of the process, so April 2020. I'm hoping, but i'm also tiring.
Here is the Georgia Lemon Law: The Georgia Lemon Law

Lemon law generally does a few things.

1. Gives you a full refund on the purchase price of car, plus tax, title, licensing.
2. If you hire an attorney, which I presume you would, it pays the attorney fees.

You are assessed:

1. Mileage. How it's calculated varies from state to state.
2. Any damage to vehicle (cost of repairs)

At this juncture, I would just Lemon Law or ask Volvo for a trade assist. Both most likely will require involving a Lemon Law Lawyer. However, you can try without by asking dealer to authorize a trade assist and see what Volvo says. If that goes nowhere, you can try emailing executives to see what they'd say.

If you hit a dead end, I'd probably get out from under the car and use the money to get a different Volvo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hi, ManBearPig. I'm sure you've researched everything from everywhere. In case you missed this, here's a video that talks about your issue.

Thank you for that, and now I understand why it doesn't apply to mine. The T8 isn't single-engine-AWD so this shaft doesn't exist. The ICE drives the front, the Electric drives the rear. It runs out of AWD if you run out of battery. (I know it always preserves a little for traction control incidents). Tomorrow the car goes in for some front end parts replacement and we'll assess again next week I guess.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Why someone need to put their own camera to find issue with the vibration this should be Volvo job this just unprofessional. I had issue with hub bearing spoke with volvo corp and dealer they send corp guy who drove the car for 2 min around the block didn't hear the noise and said no issue. They never put car on the lift never did any basic troubleshooting and just reported back to corp nothing found case closed. Than Volvo corp Refused to reopen the case so ye US support is a scam so is dealers who cant do simple bad hub diagnostic. Its like they trying to cover up issues not to fix cars under warranty or hoping that warranty will expire and than you be OOL.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Any updates
So last week they swapped out some control arms and bushings. And I offered to let them take the rims down to 19s from the 20s that came on it, they jumped at that idea so we did. I would say that 99% of the problem is gone, but I wonder how much of it was just good balancing. It still does it minorly going up hills or when curving to the left, the two things that made it do it more, but it also did it on flat roads. It's clear enough now that I am done fighting. I honestly believe they have an endemic issue on the SPA1 platform based on the number of comments in here, and that several people in the shop do know about the problem. So I have, if I remember, 255/40/19s on there now. The ride is definitely less harsh than with the tiny little Pirellis that came on the 20s. It's a little more squirrely, I can definitely tell that, but they tires are brand new so I'm waiting for them to rub off the initial fuzz. It is nice that at most speeds it's finally a smooth car that doesn't shake the wheel or the contents of grocery bags and what not. It still sets up a harmonic thru the body every once in a while, but I can't pinpoint that one.. almost like, if you spin a disk on a rod, and centrifugal force holds it perfectly vertical, and then something just makes it wobble off-axis once and then go back to normal, that's what it feels like now. It's smooth, and then one shimmy goes thru the car, and then back to smooth. I'm going to check all the bolts to make sure it's not the fun "did they tighten the bolts" issue from above.
So I guess for now the drama and stress is over. I did have to leave Dyer and Dyer Volvo over this, and I did and still do have some choice words for their corporate representatives. They never did find out why my car spent a week at a residence, but seeing as I have witnessed weeks of lies over this, I didn't assume they would actually research it. And when corporate replied with "as a courtesy, we looked into the car being at a location that wasn't the dealership".. AS A COURTESY. That really chapped my ass. So then I asked him how do we address the problem with the car's location service if it clearly thought it took a trip for 5 days. He didn't answer (shocked, I know).
I'll be curious to watch the treadwear on this new setup to see if it gets as cupped and shouldered as the first set, or if we magically did fix something.
Thanks for all the comments and support from everyone.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Just a quick follow-up. Do you know what they set the tire psi at? On my V90, the door panel stated 36 psi, yet the car arrived at 32 psi and the ride was rough. After inflating to 36 psi, it's better.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Did anyone offer you a explanation?

Sounds like the combination of control arms, bushings, wheels, and tires was reasonably effective, but were any of those found to be defective? Or did you just get a shrug of the shoulders?

Something was f'd up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Did anyone offer you a explanation?

Sounds like the combination of control arms, bushings, wheels, and tires was reasonably effective, but were any of those found to be defective? Or did you just get a shrug of the shoulders?

Something was f'd up.
That's a smart way from some dealers to shut you up... In reality, they didn't find the real issue nor they applied the right remedy hhhh.

Honestly, these bushings do ware out but, for a brand new car (less than 60K miles) , I really don't expect that.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
In reality, they didn't find the real issue nor they applied the right remedy
Well, I sorta disagree with that statement. The OP reported significant improvement by replacing suspension components and wheels/tires. This suggests to me they are in the right ballpark. However, since it sounds like multiple changes were made at the same time, it's difficult to identify the real culprit.

Just curious about the root cause. I like to play "forensic mechanic".

101 - 120 of 131 Posts