SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So went back to Dyer and Dyer today to meet with the two corporate guys who have intervened on Volvo's behalf. They decided to put on new 20" rims and new Michelin tires. Seeing as we had already swapped tires and rims with another brand new S90, I visited the dealership again just to follow their process. Of course it didn't fix the problem but at least this time the corporate guys were in the car, witnessed the steering wheel shaking. So they are going to take me up on my offer to downgrade to 19" rims and tires, and are looking at replacing some control arms and bushings.
I then also realized that they had unplugged my dash cam, and left it unplugged after I drove around the rest of today. I don't recall signing anything that gives them permission to screw with customer's personal property inside the car when what they are working on is car vibration. They didn't even have the brains to plug it back in when returning the car. I called corporate so that they could tell Robert and Brandon that the parts they are ordering need to go to another dealership. This Dyer and Dyer shop is untrustable at this point. The service rep they make me deal with is the same one they fired this summer for screwing everything up, and then hired him right back and put my ticket on his project lists. I'm going to try Mall of Georgia Volvo shop after this per some recommendations on here.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
One of the dealers here unplugged my dash cam too. They learned that I reviewed what the tech did in order to diagnose a loud "thump" from the suspension. Needless to say, the tech did nothing close to what I described so he could not replicate it. When I confronted the dealer about it, they apologized and whatever. But the next day, an employee got into the car and the camera started but I could hear it unplugged and soon stopped recording. The GM was involved in the process and insisted it wasn't him. Regardless of who it was, screwing with my personal stuff is not an option.

Now thankfully I have an decent quality dash cam that records forward and rearward from the interior. It will capture whoever is driving it before it gets unplugged

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of the dealers here unplugged my dash cam too. They learned that I reviewed what the tech did in order to diagnose a loud "thump" from the suspension. Needless to say, the tech did nothing close to what I described so he could not replicate it. When I confronted the dealer about it, they apologized and whatever. But the next day, an employee got into the car and the camera started but I could hear it unplugged and soon stopped recording. The GM was involved in the process and insisted it wasn't him. Regardless of who it was, screwing with my personal stuff is not an option.

Now thankfully I have an decent quality dash cam that records forward and rearward from the interior. It will capture whoever is driving it before it gets unplugged

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The next thing you know the SD card will be magically wiped.

The Volvo dealer here does the this same, and never remembers to plug it back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Honestly, from reading your posts, the vibration that you are experiencing is drivetrain/brake (warped rotors) related not wheel/tire related.

Believe me if you let the techs at the dealer do whatever they want everytime, you will never solve your issue that quickly. Just intervene and direct them to check things because the techs often follows Volvo Technical Journal to find the issue.

Things I recommend to have your dealer check: drive shaft bolts (those just get loose over time), drive shafts, and rotors (if warped).

In my vibration case, the dealer techs went through a lot of tests/parts change under warranty to find the vibration cause on my S90. The only part that they didn't even think to check were the front drive shafts bolts. Those bolts were responsible of approximately 50% of my car's vibration issue. The vibration was just insane and was felt in the whole cabin and center console.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
Having all of the helpful people on here, I did go in with a full list of everything you all have found previously. I listed the bolts, the propeller shaft, I've asked "and it's not the rotors?". I literally asked them everything from this posting. So any other solutions are on them, I've tried all that I can. I have to talk to the corp rep about going to a new dealership because I'm not returning to this one. I'm waiting for them to call.
Thanks to all of you on here for the replies and suggestions, crowdsourcing is a great way to get info and (i wish) a great way to get dealerships to work on stuff. One day at a time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
The next thing you know the SD card will be magically wiped.

The Volvo dealer here does the this same, and never remembers to plug it back.
After reviewing the videos from the cam, it was the corporate tech who unplugged it, not the volvo dealership tech. If that level of crap and flat out lying comes from corporate, I guess I should come to the conclusion that this is a terrible terrible company for customer service. I just can't imagine forming a business model around pages and pages of lies and excuses and deferrals. I'm taking today to decide if that was the last straw, or if it's worth my time for this last repair to try to keep the car. But then I will have it for years with the realization that they are just a terrible dishonest company from the top down.
I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
514 Posts
After reviewing the videos from the cam, it was the corporate tech who unplugged it, not the volvo dealership tech. If that level of crap and flat out lying comes from corporate, I guess I should come to the conclusion that this is a terrible terrible company for customer service. I just can't imagine forming a business model around pages and pages of lies and excuses and deferrals. I'm taking today to decide if that was the last straw, or if it's worth my time for this last repair to try to keep the car. But then I will have it for years with the realization that they are just a terrible dishonest company from the top down.
I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.
IMO, no car is worth having if it causes a lot of grief. Life is too short for this. Suggest moving on. With this said, all one needs to do is to view other car brand owners forums to understand that what you've gone through, to varying degrees, is not uncommon, unfortunately. This is why, when I research the vehicles to potentially buy, I always include a thorough investigation of the dealership I may transact with for maintenance and repairs. Even with this research, at-the-end-of-the-day, we're all at the mercy of luck and who we'll be actually dealing with at the service shop. With the complexity of modern vehicles, intricate interdependencies in the technology employed, and the service shop focus on quick parts replacement, as opposed to employing & paying seasoned service technicians to ANALYZE problems, IMO, the only thing that amazes me is that even more people don't have similar experiences like yours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This weekend will be one month since I dropped my car off at the dealer.

So far it has had the following replaced:
4 rotors
Two new tires
Software update to fix the Sensus screen blacking out.
Repair the rear weather stripping that was not glued from the factory
The icing on the cake was they discovered some sort of exhaust leak that was causing a wooshing sound under acceleration and have already replaced the muffler and having been going back and forth with corporate but have yet to come up with a solution.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

4 rotors
Two new tires
The icing on the cake was they discovered some sort of exhaust leak that was causing a wooshing sound under acceleration and have already replaced the muffler and having been going back and forth with corporate but have yet to come up with a solution.

Regarding the vibration:
When they started the road force numbers were all over 30 with one being over 40. Their first repair attempt was the rotors, one tire and a tire balancing. This made no difference and I was able to do a ride along with the service manager and he was able to feel it and see the steering wheel shaking. Now they have replaced another tire and balanced the tires again with the road force numbers coming back at 11,11, 15, and 16. My feeling I've got from talking from the service manager is that Volvo does not seem to want to go any further than looking at the tire balancing. He said that the car now drives much better but there's still some "road feedback" from the summer tires. It seemed that Volvo was blaming the issue because I have the 22" wheels with Pirelli summer tires and that vibrations were normal.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and know they have tried hard but I am skeptical that this tire balancing has fixed the issue. Not sure what route I'll go if the issue persists. The loaner T6 XC60 and XC90 T6 I have been in have both been perfect.
What a journey... you would think at this point they will simply buy the car back from you or at the minimum offer you a new car of your choosing (within reason).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
What a journey... you would think at this point they will simply buy the car back from you or at the minimum offer you a new car of your choosing (within reason).

Yeah man, it's been a real bummer that's for sure. I went through dealing with the one I ordered being totaled to this starting as soon as I got the replacement. I've never even got the chance to enjoy this new one.
I've got around 20 hours and 1,000 miles in the trips I've made back and forth to the dealer it came from.

If that kid that ran the red light only knew the problems he's caused me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yeah man, it's been a real bummer that's for sure. I went through dealing with the one I ordered being totaled to this starting as soon as I got the replacement. I've never even got the chance to enjoy this new one.
I've got around 20 hours and 1,000 miles in the trips I've made back and forth to the dealer it came from.

If that kid that ran the red light only knew the problems he's caused me :rolleyes:

Yes that was a shame and scary as i remember the pictures you send me on IG (if I got the right person as I deleted it).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

4 rotors
Two new tires

Regarding the vibration:
When they started the road force numbers were all over 30 with one being over 40. Their first repair attempt was the rotors, one tire and a tire balancing. This made no difference and I was able to do a ride along with the service manager and he was able to feel it and see the steering wheel shaking. Now they have replaced another tire and balanced the tires again with the road force numbers coming back at 11,11, 15, and 16. My feeling I've got from talking from the service manager is that Volvo does not seem to want to go any further than looking at the tire balancing. He said that the car now drives much better but there's still some "road feedback" from the summer tires. It seemed that Volvo was blaming the issue because I have the 22" wheels with Pirelli summer tires and that vibrations were normal.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and know they have tried hard but I am skeptical that this tire balancing has fixed the issue. Not sure what route I'll go if the issue persists. The loaner T6 XC60 and XC90 T6 I have been in have both been perfect.
Regarding your road force numbers, the corp tech that just worked on mine swapped my rims and tires (put on michelins instead of pirelli) and initially two were at 5 and two were at 16, he swapped those and got them all to within 4-6 on each. So your 11,11,15,16 still seems high. Sadly even at 4-6 on mine, the steering wheel still shakes, and the corp tech saw it, which leads to what others have said, it's not the wheels, it's driveline somewhere.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regarding your road force numbers, the corp tech that just worked on mine swapped my rims and tires (put on michelins instead of pirelli) and initially two were at 5 and two were at 16, he swapped those and got them all to within 4-6 on each. So your 11,11,15,16 still seems high. Sadly even at 4-6 on mine, the steering wheel still shakes, and the corp tech saw it, which leads to what others have said, it's not the wheels, it's driveline somewhere.
Did your car keep those numbers or did they get higher after you drove the car again? It seems like Volvo is digging their feet in the sand and stopping at the tires. I have driven my car with another set of wheels that came with the car and noticed no difference pointing blame away from the tires.

How are things going for you and where are you at in the process?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes that was a shame and scary as i remember the pictures you send me on IG (if I got the right person as I deleted it).

Yup, that's me man. It definitely was scary and I'm glad my dog and I were able to make it out with no injuries.
Hope you're doing good, miss seeing your content on IG.

Reactions: Kamil

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yup, that's me man. It definitely was scary and I'm glad my dog and I were able to make it out with no injuries.
Hope you're doing good, miss seeing your content on IG.
I’m glad you two were OK..

Thank you for the nice words about my content. Maybe if IG changes their policy as the new changes are ridiculous and I can’t believe that anyone is left on that platform.

I mean seriously it not only has access all the time to your camera and microphone your contacts your text messages your web browser but it also monitors everything that is on your network including other devices and communication. How is that possible I’m not sure to be honest but this is written in their own “terms of service”

Not to mention if you use the platform you automatically agree to the new services you don’t even have to except them or acknowledged them.

Not to mention they have a bunch of loopholes like you can’t have suggestive or harmful content and anything could be considered as such or your name cannot be linked to a web address and all of the top influencers on their platform half that. That just gives them the ability to remove you from the platform at any time they want to.

I don’t normally agree with most of the things this guy said my cousin sends me these videos quite often but I must say I agree how he explains the new terms of contract on his video.

·
Registered
8 Posts

4 rotors
Two new tires

Regarding the vibration:

Ref the wooshing sound. It could be the turbo 'pipe work'. Had it on my Mx5 mk3 turbo. A pressure smoke test should detect any leakage.

Sent from my moto g(9) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Did your car keep those numbers or did they get higher after you drove the car again? It seems like Volvo is digging their feet in the sand and stopping at the tires. I have driven my car with another set of wheels that came with the car and noticed no difference pointing blame away from the tires.

How are things going for you and where are you at in the process?
I don't know if the car kept the numbers, I only just got the car back last week, it did not fix the problem, but they had swapped the rims a few weeks ago and it also didn't solve the problem, but apparently doing it twice, in their mind, will have different results. We are going to swap down to 19" rims and tires and they are replacing some control arms and bushings in the upcoming weeks so we'll see if that does anything.
But I agree with you that testing would point it away from tires/rims. And they do seem to be "stopping at the tires" and just throwing in the towel.

I'm in a hard part of the process, I have been catching them in lies, deceit, loopholes, and problems and I'm emailing corporate with my issues with their service. I assume we are on track to go to 19" and control arms, but I have requested another dealership to do the work.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Why can't you just go the lemon law route at this point?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Why can't you just go the lemon law route at this point?
we are on the cusp of this. The last car I lemon law'd, when I had to meet the dealership owner to pickup the check, he fingered through the volume of pages of repairs and asked me "at any point did we just replaced the tires?" I told him no, and he shook his head and mumbled "$40,000 cuz we couldn't replace tires".. So long story short, I'm giving Volvo additional chances to fix this, since it is VERY clear the service shop manager shares nothing with the dealership management. I told the next level up manager that I'm giving them the chance to maybe learn and fix the problem instead of going immediate Lemon, but they are aware the threads are very thin that are holding me on at this point. This next visit will be the deciding factor. While I can get another S90T8, the Magic Blue is gone, and I think the chrome on the 2021 is tacky and cheap (look where the seams are on the front end). So what was my ultimate happy purchase will no longer be "the exact car I wanted". Petty, but when dropping 82k for the first time, I wanted it spot-on.

I have met every qualification for Lemon Law so if this goes south, i hand them the keys. I really, really do love this car, that's the only reason I'm fighting for it versus just dropping it like a sad Camry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
we are on the cusp of this. The last car I lemon law'd, when I had to meet the dealership owner to pickup the check, he fingered through the volume of pages of repairs and asked me "at any point did we just replaced the tires?" I told him no, and he shook his head and mumbled "$40,000 cuz we couldn't replace tires".. So long story short, I'm giving Volvo additional chances to fix this, since it is VERY clear the service shop manager shares nothing with the dealership management. I told the next level up manager that I'm giving them the chance to maybe learn and fix the problem instead of going immediate Lemon, but they are aware the threads are very thin that are holding me on at this point. This next visit will be the deciding factor. While I can get another S90T8, the Magic Blue is gone, and I think the chrome on the 2021 is tacky and cheap (look where the seams are on the front end). So what was my ultimate happy purchase will no longer be "the exact car I wanted". Petty, but when dropping 82k for the first time, I wanted it spot-on.

I have met every qualification for Lemon Law so if this goes south, i hand them the keys. I really, really do love this car, that's the only reason I'm fighting for it versus just dropping it like a sad Camry.
How frustrating, I am going to hit 30 days out of service on Saturday with my car. The experience with mine has ruined any excitement or joy out of having a new car. If I get burnt on this one by Volvo, I am done with them for good. A few months ago, I'd never have even thought about anything else but if they don't stand behind this when they know they have a problem I'm done.

I don't buy their blame on the summer tires either, when 90% of Volvos probably have all-season tires.

I've lost track, but how many visits/what have they done to your car?

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
514 Posts
In one respect, it's insane that you've encountered so much difficultly in getting the needed fix to your vehicle. In another respect, at least to me, it's commendable that Volvo and the dealership spent so much money to attempt to fix the issue. This just goes to show that, at the end of the day, the scarcest resources are (a) a good/competent technician and (b) sufficient time and pay allocated to a good/competent technician to thoroughly diagnose and fix the issue you are having. There's a pervasive mentality of "don't-have-time-to-do-it-right-just-time-to-do-it-over".

For all of the $$$ spent by Volvo and the dealership to address your needs, with nothing meaningful to show for it (at best) and the bad press that has resulted in this saga, along with the potential loss of a customer (at worst), makes no business sense. If Volvo and the dealership has just taken the time to ensure that a competent person addressed your needs, perhaps this would have been resolved more easily. Or, perhaps Volvo and/or the dealership do not have competent technicians, in which case this is quite another problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In one respect, it's insane that you've encountered so much difficultly in getting the needed fix to your vehicle. In another respect, at least to me, it's commendable that Volvo and the dealership spent so much money to attempt to fix the issue. This just goes to show that, at the end of the day, the scarcest resources are (a) a good/competent technician and (b) sufficient time and pay allocated to a good/competent technician to thoroughly diagnose and fix the issue you are having. There's a pervasive mentality of "don't-have-time-to-do-it-right-just-time-to-do-it-over".

For all of the $$$ spent by Volvo and the dealership to address your needs, with nothing meaningful to show for it (at best) and the bad press that has resulted in this saga, along with the potential loss of a customer (at worst), makes no business sense. If Volvo and the dealership has just taken the time to ensure that a competent person addressed your needs, perhaps this would have been resolved more easily. Or, perhaps Volvo and/or the dealership do not have competent technicians, in which case this is quite another problem.

Good luck.
I agree with you, especially in my case. I cannot thank the dealership enough for their efforts and they have put a lot of effort into resolving it. My opinion is that Volvo hasn't quite figured out how
to get the vibration out of these cars because I have not really seen anyone on here that has had the issue have a successful result.

I have loved Volvos since I was a little kid and I am forever grateful to them for allowing me to walk away from a serious accident without a scratch. My loyalty to the brand is strong, however the frustration, time, and stress of having a new vehicle with issues is a problem and makes me question the future of having to deal with it. I'm on my third new XC60 since 2017.

I bought my car out of state 4 hours away and my local dealership is extremely weak and difficult to deal with. I know for a fact I wouldn't have got where I am if I was trying to deal with them instead of returning to where I purchased it.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts