SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on here much lately, but I got a 2019 S90T8 Inscription in April of 2019. Been mostly a good car but have reported car vibration since I got it. Have been having it serviced continually since April of this year for that vibration. Every time it has been "we balanced the tires and rims and it's perfect now". Of course it was no different. Four times in the shop, once they took it to a private tire shop for "professional balancing", which made me laugh and I asked him what theirs was in that case. It still shook the car, so it didn't fix it. This last trip, Volvo Corporate had them find another brand new S90, and I drove it and let them know if it shook or not. It didn't so they put those rims and tires on mine and had me drive it, still shook. So clearly the problem is with the car. It's in the 70mph-78mph range, and Volvo says that since they are a publicly traded company they cannot drive the car over the stated limit so they can't test drive it. I showed them the car's logs and they never even drove it over 54mph, and never on the interstate, just on the side roads from the private tire shop back to the Volvo dealership. So I questioned how they could ever hand the car back if they had never even taken it on I285 up to 70mph. No answer. I asked them if any dealership or shop has a dyno that they can take it up to 75 on, no answer.
So now I have to bring it back again, get a loaner, they are doing some more tests for Volvo Corporate but if they can't fix it they want to proceed to trade-assist.
My problem with that is with this kind of run around for 1.5 years, and if they can't even fix an issue like that, I kinda don't want to be in this family anymore, nevertheless that dealership again, they told me lie after lie, like they were reading from a book about tire vibration to make me go away. Plus I don't like the 2021 S90's looks. Sad to say I may have to go car shopping again and leave the car with them under Lemon Law.
The Pirelli's were shot at 9,000 miles and they are so unevenly worn and cupped that it's rather obvious the car has something wrong with it. But they blamed it on: first) cold spotting,I obviously didn't drive far enough. Second) These are high torque cars, they're going to wear the tires quickly. Third) These are heavy cars cuz of the hybrid, so they wear the tires quickly. Just excuse after excuse.
I love this car dearly, but dang, can't fix a simple vibration? Are the shops just that useless now? I know 90% of it may be Atlanta work ethic, the Honda and Acura shops are just as useless at doing anything more than an oil change.
I'm going to start the hunt for cars as I honestly don't have much hope for them to find the fix for the vibration. I wish they had found the propeller shaft issue that some other's had, or something simple, but I think they just don't try as they hadn't even tested the car after balancing the tires.
Hoping for the best for Friday, but one never knows.

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I totally understand your frustration, I had the same issue with my 2020 S60 which I ordered exactly the way I wanted, and waited three months for it to be delivered. And the vibration was there from the start--I kicked myself for not taking it for a test drive before signing all the paperwork.

I will say though, I drove at least six other new S60s, three new S90s, and several used S90s. In the S60s, they all vibrated but the ones with the 19" wheels were the worst (like my car), I probably could have tolerated it on the car with the 18". Now, both of the new S90s I drove had the 20" R wheels, and those vibrated horribly. The best one I drove was a 17 S90 that had, of all things, Bridgestone Blizzak tires on it when I test drove it in July.

On my car they did tire/wheel balancing three times, and then replaced the passenger side axle twice. The vibration got better but it still was nowhere near acceptable. The Volvo field techs even came out once and hooked up some sort of machine to check the vibration, they claimed it was "well within spec". There's no way I should have been able to see the sleeve on my jacket shake from holding the steering wheel. I had other people drive it to see if it was just a me issue, but everyone else immediately noticed it.

It was about a month from starting the case with the Volvo customer care team to getting approved for the buy-back. Initially they wanted to trade assist but I refused. I had enough visits to qualify for lemon law and had a lawyer ready, but they actually agreed to the buy back before I needed to escalate.

I really liked everything else about the car (it had more features in some aspects than the much pricier Mercedes I got as a replacement), but the vibration was a non-starter for me. The deciding factor for me was that the majority of the new cars I drove also vibrated, so I didn't want to chance them building me another and it being no good.

Reactions: Onewithgolf

·
Registered
603 Posts
I totally understand your frustration. If you're ever wanting to read a little, here's my thread...

What's crazy is I never added in the pulsating brakes, the minor coolant leak that was found during the time the engine "whine" was trying to be diagnosed, the pre-collision warning activating prematurely, or the rattles in the headliner and the 2nd row seat belts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally understand your frustration. If you're ever wanting to read a little, here's my thread...

What's crazy is I never added in the pulsating brakes, the minor coolant leak that was found during the time the engine "whine" was trying to be diagnosed, the pre-collision warning activating prematurely, or the rattles in the headliner and the 2nd row seat belts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
WOW. I read your thread this morning. Sounds like the BS I'm getting in Atlanta. And with this many volvo cars having the vibration, I'll opt out of the trade-assist and just go lemon law. If they do a buy-back then they can resell the car, if you do lemon law they have to destroy it and they are out the inventory. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
FYI....lemon law cars are not required to be destroyed. There is no truth in that at all. Lemon law cars are repaired by corporate and resold the overwhelming majority of the time. I worked in the auto industry for a while and was often the "front-line" PR man regarding buy-backs, so I've had a lot of experience buying back customer cars.

It's hard for me to comprehend such a lazy attitude from the Volvo dealer. You would never find that here at my dealer. While complicated, there is no way this can not be resolved. I'm surprised you have waited such a long time, tolerating the issue. I'm not sure about all of these vibration claims as "they all do that". I've driven quite a few new Volvos as loaners, test drives, family members' cars and none of them have any type of vibration at all. Did you actually ever meet and talk with the Volvo Corp. Tech and ride with him? Seems like that would have been initiated by him. Remember the corporate guy only can go on what the dealer tells him.....so if the dealer isn't very forthcoming it's hard to push all the blame on Volvo Corp not be receptive to fixing the problem.

It's clear you like the car. I do too....my new Volvo is en-route from the factory for delivery. The likely of a new car having this issue is almost zero. Sounds to me like you need to find a new dealer, one that is well-known for excellent service. Perhaps that has to be slightly out of area, but it would be worth it when you likely need to visit once a year. You should express to Volvo you hesitation of continuing to do business at that store and consider using with another dealer. My advice would be get into a new car. The visual changes are virtually indistinguishable on a new car, or get a banging deal on a leftover model or some CPO car with 1,000 miles on it. Don't let one dealer ruin the brand for you. Volvo Corporate can be very accommodating and pleasant to deal with.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've worked for a couple of luxury brands, including Volvo and Lexus. This type of think happens with other brands too, trust me. I saw plenty of Lexus Lemon Law cars. Just don't let one experience drive you away. Just move past it and start all over again if you really like the product.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's hard for me to comprehend such a lazy attitude from the Volvo dealer.
Unfortunately dealers vary very much from location to location.

Around here Volvo has been cracking down hard on dealers. In the last 15 years several of them have lost the privilege of being a Volvo Dealership and shut down. Only the good ones remain.

I have had nothing but good experiences with my now closest dealer, Boston Volvo, but I can definitely understand how some dealers are bad having dealt with some of the defunct dealerships in the area over the last 15 years.

It's a shame.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I think lemon law will be a tall order:

"What defects are covered and what defects are not covered?
Any defect or condition included in the manufacturer’s warranty that substantially impairs the vehicle’s use, value or safety to the consumer is covered under the Lemon Law. Substantially impairs – the defect makes your vehicle unreliable or unsafe for ordinary use, or it diminishes the resale value of your vehicle more than a meaningful amount below the average resale value for comparable motor vehicles."

Driving above the speed limit to cause the issue may well not be included. Yes, I lived in Atlanta myself a few years and know that driving 70+ is "ordinary use", but I think they can claim that it's outside the legal use of the vehicle. I mean, if I were a lawyer, that's what I'd say anyhow.

But I'd see if a tech would be willing to go with you for a ride so you can show them. I know that might be a challenge because of COVID-19 currently, but that's probably still your best shot. I'm not sure you can say the dealer isn't trying. I think it's important to consider another perspective too. It sounds like they've done quite a bit by the book and I imagine they feel they've done alot. It sounds like you're expectations might be a little high if other brands have offered you similar disappointment. Just something to consider, in the industry we're generally happy to see a customer that complains a lot leave for another brand. If everyone in the service department knows your name and rolls their eyes when they hear it, you're unlikely to have them go too far above and beyond... they're truly just as glad to see you trade it in somewhere else and move on. Especially in a transient high population area like Atlanta. Not saying it should be that way, but it is. It can be very hard to distinguish between a hard to find legit complaint and someone who just complains. Given the statistics of the matter, it's far easier to just move on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
So sad to hear about your issue. I highly recommend that you ask them to check all the four axle bolts if they are torqued to spec.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had the same issues in the Boston area with a 2019 S60 T6. The only thing that seems to have helped the steering wheel vibration I get between 72-78mph was putting miles on the car. I had a very similar situation as you- more than a dozen service appointments and they refused to look beyond wheel balancing and tires. And that was with a case open with VCNA.

This car is already a trade-assist replacement from 2019 S60 T5 that was perfectly smooth at any speed but had a bunch of other issues- then got crashed by the dealer. I finally decided to just live with the random vibrations and turn the car in when the lease is up and move on. I also drove loaners that had the same vibrations, but generally worse than my car. I don’t know how Volvo thinks this is ok. I’ve never owned a car that couldn’t be fixed prior to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bad enough to make more than a dozen trips to try to get fixed... some out of pocket at tires shops.

I’ve leased a few new cars- none as expensive as this- I’ve never experienced such a miserable riding car at freeway speeds. I’ve had a couple friends drive it and both said felt the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the input and history. The vibration is bad enough that when carrying your family christmas ornaments from Chattanooga to Atlanta (2 hours) and listening to them ding and clank in the vibration for 2 (blanking) hours, it's annoying. When your grocery bags shake going home from the store. When the straw in your drink cup in the center dash shakes and flicks the last drops of water onto the car, it's a vibration.

I have offered to drive they car for them and they are hiding behind "well with Covid we can't be in the car with you". So that has been refused at every step. The car does shake at 65mph and Atlanta has legally posted 70mph zones, they just refuse.

I have gone to the 2nd best rated Volvo dealership way north of Atlanta, and I told them I was there because they had the best ratings and least problems. The guy at the desk literally laughed and said "well it is morning". They drove the car and didn't even work on it, just said "no problem".

In the effort of "is it just me" I've had 3 other people drive it, one of them I said "I think it's fixed" right after one of the dealership visits (so as to not taint the results), and he said it's still shaking. I understand roads have bumps and grooves, I285 has a very nice smooth area and that's where I have tested it, other's have agreed that the road is dang near perfect there.

The tires are not only bald, but very unevenly worn, but also cupped, there is something wrong with the setup on this car. They have been the only dealership to work on the car so they only have themselves to point to with issues and troubleshooting.

If they're going to hide behind 70mph+ is beyond use, then they should limit the cars to the country's highest speed limits. You can't make a product that "can" and then say you won't support it, that's petty right there. If you're doing 70 in a 70, and an emergency comes up or you have to pass, going beyond 70 is expected. What about out west where there are roads w/o limits, if you have a Volvo you can't drive on them because the car is unwarranted at over 70mph?

In Georgia the lemon law applies to any issue with the car. For severe safety issues the process is report it once and they have once more to fix it. Lesser safety issues can be reported twice then they have a third chance. All other items, safety or not, you get three reports, plus one more, and it's Lemon law. I dug it all up to make sure. Also if it's in the shop 15 consecutive days it's automatic, they had it for 20 days the last visit.

If their idea of me being a whiner and rolling their eyes when I make another appointment and then giving lesser service (spitting in my food), then they deserve this. They will get the appropriate reviews and ratings and I will fill out the Volvo surveys accordingly. My only ask is they just TRY to go beyond "the tires are fine". Ask any professional tire shop if they will sign their names on a balance job that wasn't done on the car and that the car wasn't even driven to 65mph, no reputable one will, Volvo has no problem saying they have tested nothing.

And yes, there is a 2021 S90, but the front end has changed, the chrome strip is in 3 pieces and it looks cheap. Also Magic Blue has been discontinued, it has always been my desire to have a dark blue car, so now I will have to get another car "not what I desired".. OhWah! you say, suck it up. Well.. it's my money, I bought a car with Magic Blue because that's what I wanted. The new Denim Blue is ok, but not what I would want. So unless they want to trade into another S90T8Inscription with considerable money back to cover the loss of the color and all of my trips, then they can take the car back and refund my money. And a buy-back is different than a lemon law as far as reselling the car.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
If their idea of me being a whiner and rolling their eyes when I make another appointment and then giving lesser service (spitting in my food), then they deserve this. They will get the appropriate reviews and ratings and I will fill out the Volvo surveys accordingly. My only ask is they just TRY to go beyond "the tires are fine". Ask any professional tire shop if they will sign their names on a balance job that wasn't done on the car and that the car wasn't even driven to 65mph, no reputable one will, Volvo has no problem saying they have tested nothing.
Like I said, it's just easier... they don't need you as a customer, and would probably be happier without you. I don't mean that as the insult it sounds like, I just mean to show the perspective. If they aren't getting paid to fix the problem they don't think exists and you threaten to go elsewhere, from their perspective that's the perfect outcome. Again, not to say that's good, but I think it is important to consider the reality of the situation from all perspectives if you wish to get a change of outcome. They likely have loads of great reviews and just like every single other dealer in the world, there are gonna be a few bad ones... Whenever I shop for anything, like others, I read the bad reviews... and 99% of the time I get a great chuckle out of them and then continue with my business.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you all for the input and history. The vibration is bad enough that when carrying your family christmas ornaments from Chattanooga to Atlanta (2 hours) and listening to them ding and clank in the vibration for 2 (blanking) hours, it's annoying. When your grocery bags shake going home from the store. When the straw in your drink cup in the center dash shakes and flicks the last drops of water onto the car, it's a vibration.

I have offered to drive they car for them and they are hiding behind "well with Covid we can't be in the car with you". So that has been refused at every step. The car does shake at 65mph and Atlanta has legally posted 70mph zones, they just refuse.

I have gone to the 2nd best rated Volvo dealership way north of Atlanta, and I told them I was there because they had the best ratings and least problems. The guy at the desk literally laughed and said "well it is morning". They drove the car and didn't even work on it, just said "no problem".

In the effort of "is it just me" I've had 3 other people drive it, one of them I said "I think it's fixed" right after one of the dealership visits (so as to not taint the results), and he said it's still shaking. I understand roads have bumps and grooves, I285 has a very nice smooth area and that's where I have tested it, other's have agreed that the road is dang near perfect there.

The tires are not only bald, but very unevenly worn, but also cupped, there is something wrong with the setup on this car. They have been the only dealership to work on the car so they only have themselves to point to with issues and troubleshooting.

If they're going to hide behind 70mph+ is beyond use, then they should limit the cars to the country's highest speed limits. You can't make a product that "can" and then say you won't support it, that's petty right there. If you're doing 70 in a 70, and an emergency comes up or you have to pass, going beyond 70 is expected. What about out west where there are roads w/o limits, if you have a Volvo you can't drive on them because the car is unwarranted at over 70mph?

In Georgia the lemon law applies to any issue with the car. For severe safety issues the process is report it once and they have once more to fix it. Lesser safety issues can be reported twice then they have a third chance. All other items, safety or not, you get three reports, plus one more, and it's Lemon law. I dug it all up to make sure. Also if it's in the shop 15 consecutive days it's automatic, they had it for 20 days the last visit.

And yes, there is a 2021 S90, but the front end has changed, the chrome strip is in 3 pieces and it looks cheap. Also Magic Blue has been discontinued, it has always been my desire to have a dark blue car, so now I will have to get another car "not what I desired".. OhWah! you say, suck it up. Well.. it's my money, I bought a car with Magic Blue because that's what I wanted. The new Denim Blue is ok, but not what I would want. So unless they want to trade into another S90T8Inscription with considerable money back to cover the loss of the color and all of my trips, then they can take the car back and refund my money. And a buy-back is different than a lemon law as far as reselling the car.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Just had a thought. Maybe try to set up a tripod and record video evidence of a drive? Maybe that will help?

It sounds like they either don't believe you or think you are being unreasonably picky.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just had a thought. Maybe try to set up a tripod and record video evidence of a drive? Maybe that will help?

It sounds like they either don't believe you or think you are being unreasonably picky.
Great Idea and we have already done that, recorded the drink cup straw, recorded objects on the dash (that we put there for the purpose to record), and things on the seats. They just brushed it off, didn't want to see it. So they don't want to drive it, nor see it. DFrantz is more than likely spot on. Who cares, we'll just sell another one. 99% of people that are looking to spend $82,000 aren't going to read dealership reviews. Sad to say I believe him.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
You should just pursue a lemon law claim and move on - sounds like your dealer can't fix a very obvious problem. If the dealer and Volvo corporate continue to stall and delay then I'd consult an attorney.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Atlanta and have found that North Point Volvo is pretty competent. Zach seems to be the best service adviser. I wouldn't trust D&D Volvo maintenance-wise as they refused to drain and fill my XC70's transmission.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wouldn't trust D&D Volvo maintenance-wise as they refused to drain and fill my XC70's transmission.
Let me guess. They gave you the whole "it's a sealed transmissions. The fluid is supposed to last the life of the car. Volvo has no maintenance recommendation for replacement"

I got the same thing from a dealer for my S80, which I found very disappointing.

The truth however is that no car manufacturer really cares what happens to the car after the warranty is up. If they could, they would build cars with a 4 year 50k mile warranty that insta-fail oin the 4th year +1 day, or the 50,001st mile.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts