SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting a newer R. Really want heated seats for my back and the premium factory sound. It looks like the stereo model numbers have changed some.
What is the Premium Stereo model number for the R's?
My 04 is HU-803 (I think).

Can be basic R sterio be improved to the better surround sound quality of the Premium system?

·
Registered
145 Posts
heated seats are terrible because now every other car I'm in that doesn't have them I automatically hate.

**** spoiled me within a week.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
all Rs come with premium sound(803 in 04 and 850 in 05+) and very very few come without heated seats.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure all Rs have the same sound system, with the exception of the change from 803 to 850 HU (but I don't think there was a significant change in sound quality, just usability) and the optional subwoofer available for VRs.

Heated seats with leather is a necessity in cold climates.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have the factory sub in my VR its flush and a clean install but if I had to do it again I would go with a like a jl subwoofer in the sake style box..

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
all Rs come with premium sound(803 in 04 and 850 in 05+) and very very few come without heated seats.
Incorrect. The Premium Stereo (803 or 850, depending on year) was part of the "Premium Package" which includes the HU, better speakers, and the SUNROOF.

Yes, there are Rs without the premium stereo and without a sunroof, I've sat in them.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Incorrect. The Premium Stereo (803 or 850, depending on year) was part of the "Premium Package" which includes the HU, better speakers, and the SUNROOF.

Yes, there are Rs without the premium stereo and without a sunroof, I've sat in them.

Yeah I just found this too after researching. Non-premium sound is an 8 speaker system, premium is 13 speakers. Weird. So what's the HU for the non-premium sound? The same with just less speakers?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think there used to be a link from one of the resource threads above (but I can't find it now) to the audio versions with photos - there were about 3 levels of sound as I recall with the 2 top being quite similar except for the number of speakers, and perhaps the 300W amplifier. I remember identifying mine from the photos of the speakers in the doors.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Yeah I just found this too after researching. Non-premium sound is an 8 speaker system, premium is 13 speakers. Weird. So what's the HU for the non-premium sound? The same with just less speakers?
The "standard" HU is either the HU-603 or HU-650 depending on year (correlates with 803/850).
These HU options go across all P2 Volvos starting with the 1999 S80 and ending with the 2009 S60.

The HU-603 has a tape casette player!

·
Registered
211 Posts

I test drove an 04 R without those options. Glad I didn't end up getting it. Not having heated leather in Utah was a deal killer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The amplifiers are also different I know there is one that is a 300 watt and one that is a 200 watt. I do not know if this correlates with the HUs or not

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I may be getting a newer R. Really want heated seats for my back and the premium factory sound. It looks like the stereo model numbers have changed some.
What is the Premium Stereo model number for the R's?
My 04 is HU-803 (I think).

Can be basic R sterio be improved to the better surround sound quality of the Premium system?
wouldnt it be cheaper if you walking into a specialty stereo shop and go nuts and get a awesome aftermarket system and at the same time have heated seats installed too?

My 05 had the HU850 system and OEM nav...I lived with it for all of 1 week and tossed it out for the latest and greatest from pioneer, Then ordered and installed the latest and greatest from Kenwood Excelon. Stock sucks. My car doesnt have OEM heated seats but soon it will get massaging and heated seats. the massaging is sooo cool

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
wouldnt it be cheaper if you walking into a specialty stereo shop and go nuts and get a awesome aftermarket system and at the same time have heated seats installed too?

My 05 had the HU850 system and OEM nav...I lived with it for all of 1 week and tossed it out for the latest and greatest from pioneer, Then ordered and installed the latest and greatest from Kenwood Excelon. Stock sucks. My car doesnt have OEM heated seats but soon it will get massaging and heated seats. the massaging is sooo cool
Massaging seats?? What's next, a foot massaging clutch or dead pedal? :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, newer R is off since mine isn't totalled out.
I know the better sound systems had both in-dash cd changers and 3 multi knobs: bass/trebble, fade/balance, and center volume gain/ surround effect.
This was the unit i had in my s80 and have in my R. The one i have now is inferior to the one in my old s80 because the nav screen causes a smaller speaker to be used.

If there is a better (performing and looking) prologic unit out there, im interested in shopping for it.

Hey burg, who makes, sells, and installes the massage seats? If they are worth it, i want some now!

Thanks all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts