SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
well now you sound like a truck driver! lol

it definitely makes sense. Very interesting to look at the gender demographics from the perspective of the preferred vehicle type. Modern cars in general are just huge. any full size SUV or truck made in the last decade is a giant next to a P80.
Well all the truck bros at the SAE club in college sure didn't think much of my yellow Volvo estate with 5 cylinders so whatever lol.

Vehicles are getting huge because fuel economy targets are now based on track/wheelbase of the vehicle. Automakers are gaming that system to lower their target average fuel economy. They can offer a more impressive sounding engine with worse fuel economy and just package it up in a larger package and still meet the EPA targets. And make it bigger because people love that too. Average fuel economy in the pickup truck segment is about where it was 40 years ago.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Size of vehicles also becomes an "arms race" of types, too. "I want my family to be safe, so I'll buy them a larger vehicle so they don't get crushed." I've seen that exact argument on SS about why people don't want their kids driving/riding in wagons, and are going with an XC90 or whatever instead. It would be interesting to see a breakdown on injuries/deaths based on vehicle size of those big multi-car accidents with semi trucks and box trucks involved that we see during storms and ice events. A pickup truck isn't gonna survive being sandwich between an 80,000 lb. stationary vehicle and another one sliding into it at 40 miles an hour; nothing really will.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Size of vehicles also becomes an "arms race" of types, too. "I want my family to be safe, so I'll buy them a larger vehicle so they don't get crushed." I've seen that exact argument on SS about why people don't want their kids driving/riding in wagons, and are going with an XC90 or whatever instead. It would be interesting to see a breakdown on injuries/deaths based on vehicle size of those big multi-car accidents with semi trucks and box trucks involved that we see during storms and ice events. A pickup truck isn't gonna survive being sandwich between an 80,000 lb. stationary vehicle and another one sliding into it at 40 miles an hour; nothing really will.
Most vehicles are death traps. Watch some crash test videos of pickups. Most of them are not good. We have regulations requiring certain safety features be included, but that doesn't seem to translate in to real-world safety. By belief is any SPA Volvo will far outperform any currently available average sized pickup in most crashes.

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure how I went so long without noticing the previous owner had installed a short-shifter plate of some kind on the car...

removed it and shifting feels SO much better now. much easier to get into gear, and the way it was set up wasn't even shortening the throws by much in the first place. Already had the solid bushings. Now the only thing I'm missing is the little retaining clip for the factory setup...anyone know where I can find one of those? I have a hose clamp there as an extremely temporary solution which seems fine but definitely not wanting to run it like this long-term, will probably be driving my automatic anytime I absolutely have to be somewhere until I can source the proper clip.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure how I went so long without noticing the previous owner had installed a short-shifter plate of some kind on the car...

removed it and shifting feels SO much better now. much easier to get into gear, and the way it was set up wasn't even shortening the throws by much in the first place. Already had the solid bushings. Now the only thing I'm missing is the little retaining clip for the factory setup...anyone know where I can find one of those? I have a hose clamp there as an extremely temporary solution which seems fine but definitely not wanting to run it like this long-term, will probably be driving my automatic anytime I absolutely have to be somewhere until I can source the proper clip.

Looks like part #989037 - Lock Brace. Can you use a washer and a circlip?

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
part #989037
Perfect, thank you. I probably could use a circlip if I had one the right size...the hose clamp was the best I could come up with, lol. I figure if I'm going to buy something it might as well be the correct part.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Perfect, thank you. I probably could use a circlip if I had one the right size...the hose clamp was the best I could come up with, lol. I figure if I'm going to buy something it might as well be the correct part.
I bought a box of E-clips at Autozone that had an assortment of clips.

Reactions: mattj456

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, since this car wasn't manual swapped under my ownership, I'm curious to know exactly what variant of the M56 I have, whether it be an H, L, or LK. I can't find a label anywhere on the thing, and I'm not looking to crack it open and see for myself. Can I figure it out based on my rpms at certain speeds in certain gears?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So, since this car wasn't manual swapped under my ownership, I'm curious to know exactly what variant of the M56 I have, whether it be an H, L, or LK. I can't find a label anywhere on the thing, and I'm not looking to crack it open and see for myself. Can I figure it out based on my rpms at certain speeds in certain gears?
obvious answer; Jared will know!!

edit: and/or the Scot!

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Do you still have a VSS? M56L if so.

If not, figure it out by speed/rpm. You probably have a L or H. LK is relatively uncommon.

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do you still have a VSS? M56L if so.

If not, figure it out by speed/rpm. You probably have a L or H. LK is relatively uncommon.
Interesting...maybe I jumped the gun by saying I have an H...does this photo prove me wrong?

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
M56L

Reactions: mattj456

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Installed NA manifold & throttle body w/ 960 plate yesterday, put about 180 miles on it today. Feeling really good aside from a small boost leak I suspect to be the vacuum tree o-ring.

The Victor Reinz vacuum tree o-ring I ordered from FCP is way too big (on the left) and the vacuum tree simply wouldn't go into the manifold. Looks like others have had the same experience, maybe I'll convince FCP to send me the OEM Volvo seal instead (not sure why I didn't get that originally). For now I'm reusing the old one which is probably leaking.

Additionally, the snabb silicone coupler I'm using to adapt to the larger throttle body is a little bit shorter, and I ran into some clearance issues at the IAC valve bracket:

I ended up shaving off part of the bracket for better fitment. Can always get another bracket from the JY later if needed.

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Today I repaired the odometer and corrected it to read the true mileage which I read via OBD-I under the hood. 189,080 and counting! Check out the remains of the gear...every single tooth was broken off and had to be cleaned out of the odometer mechanism. I also replaced my shattered cluster lens with a good one I had, as well as the light bulbs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not sure if true or not but I've been told the main cause for the cog breaking is by pushing the reset button whilst the vehicle is moving

21 - 38 of 38 Posts