SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first a little story time I bought a 2001 Volvo s60 2.4t a little while ago and have been driving the car for about a month the car has had it's share of problems but nothing to major other than the pcv being clogged. when I first got it I cleaned and checked the pcv system, the car ran great after this no smokey dipstick near no pressure from the oil cap. Today when I arrived at work I found that the car had puked all its oil on the ground massive puddle underneath, I jacked up the car and the entire timing belt side of the engine bay is covered in oil I babied it to a parts store and bought a jug of oil by the time I was at my street (about 15k's) the oil light was flickering and the dipstick was clean. my first thought is cam or crank seal has blown but it is dropping oil more like there was a crack in the pan which I'm pretty sure there isn't from looking and the fact that the engine bay is also sprayed with oil. I haven't taken the timing belt cover off yet I'll be doing that tomorrow.and the turbo is clean which was my second thought has anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
Volvo S60 D5 MY2003, 163hp
181 Posts
Crankshaft or cam shaft seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply, I was just unsure as the descriptions I've heard of that happening didn't mention a massive lake of oil under the car. So on my shopping list is timing belt, pulleys, water pump, crank seal, front cam seals, oil pump gasket anything I've missed?

·
Registered
856 Posts
All that oil creeps down and can confuse you where the leak originates. Take the T belt cover off and take a good look at the cam seals. They seem to blow out before crank seals do. The cam seals were probably hanging on and finally one popped out. And everything Husker said. I hope you replaced the PCV and just didn't clean up some of the stuff.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I bought a 2002 V70XC back in November from a fellow who said the car had just recently experienced a massive oil leak. He said it was the cam seal. I figured if that’s what it was there was no way I would not be able to drive it home (ie how bad can a cam seal leak be). Well apparently quite bad. I could not make it more than a few blocks without refilling over a quart at a time. All it was was one single cam seal but man did it spew! Best make sure a full PCV service has been done once you have fixed.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a slow drip from my exhaust cam, when seal was replaced it became even worse! Turned out to be a worn vvt hub on the exhaust side. Make sure there is no excessive in and out play in your hubs before putting anything back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so finally got round to fixing this today when I pulled the intake cam pulley off the seal was just sitting there I pulled it out with my fingers so that was definitely the issue. When I had it back together and running I did the glove test has vacuum at idle and a little pressure as I revved it. So my thinking is that years of running with a clogged PCV pushed the seal out and it just let go even though there wasn't much crankcase pressure. What do you guys think? I'll be servicing the PCV system anyway but I'd like to know why this occurred.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Why did it occur? The PCV design on these cars leaves something to be desired and over time gets clogged and causes crankcase pressure that needs to find a place to be released. All cars have PCV systems - this one is just overly complicated and not engineered particularly well. Please use OEM blue box Volvo parts when you're doing this service as it's pretty involved and you don't want to have to do it again. There are some really good instructional posts out there that walk through the job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like it could definitely be the PCV. Just tackled this myself, it's a pretty involved process!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
OK so finally got round to fixing this today when I pulled the intake cam pulley off the seal was just sitting there I pulled it out with my fingers so that was definitely the issue. When I had it back together and running I did the glove test has vacuum at idle and a little pressure as I revved it. So my thinking is that years of running with a clogged PCV pushed the seal out and it just let go even though there wasn't much crankcase pressure. What do you guys think? I'll be servicing the PCV system anyway but I'd like to know why this occurred.
No question that clogged PCV is root cause.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 10 of 10 Posts