SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing so research I was surprised to see that Volve has discontinued its agreement with Holland based TomTom and Google will be Volvo's new supplier.
https://www.autonews.com/article/20181016/OEM06/181019688/tomtom-loses-volvo-contract

Has anyone noticed the vendor change, or the features, or the visual of the new Google GPS mapping yet? Anybody know how to check the software version to see which vendor has been installed in their 2019 or 2020 V60?

This sounds like an improvement. Personally, I have been using on of the top end models from Garmin for about 5 years with the lifetime update with great success. Until I get my own Volvo in May of 2020 I won't be able to compare the function and accuracy of the Volve built in vs the stand alone Garmin Nuvi 3490 that has always been amazing.
Glad to know any additional information anyone has or personal experience with both mapping software.
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Following this. I know the map in the Volvo On Call app that I use to remotely send destinations to the car's nav is powered by Google. I'd be curious to know more about the Sensus nav map change, as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It is last year news. Without details we can't know what model year it will affect. Existing cars will probably getting map updates from whatever source it was using, or from Google while converted to existing format to work on existing cars.

When Android UI shows up in future models it will of course use Google maps.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is last year news. Without details we can't know what model year it will affect. Existing cars will probably getting map updates from whatever source it was using, or from Google while converted to existing format to work on existing cars.

When Android UI shows up in future models it will of course use Google maps.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
This. It’s also important to realize the TomTom agreement was cancelled before it went into effect—so we never had TomTom in our SPA cars, as the current mapping software relies on maps by HERE.

Like FusionRedXC60 said, existing cars will probably not see a great deal of changes. And with 2020 cars out on the road already, I wouldn’t expect any changes for them either. Perhaps we’ll see different infotainment options for the 2021 MY cars, but who’s to say?

Also, I just find the obsession with the provenance of our cars’ mapping software a bit strange. I mean, if you really want to use Google Maps, there’s nothing stopping you from using CarPlay or Android Auto and doing just that .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This. It’s also important to realize the TomTom agreement was cancelled before it went into effect—so we never had TomTom in our SPA cars, as the current mapping software relies on maps by HERE.

Like FusionRedXC60 said, existing cars will probably not see a great deal of changes. And with 2020 cars out on the road already, I wouldn’t expect any changes for them either. Perhaps we’ll see different infotainment options for the 2021 MY cars, but who’s to say?

Also, I just find the obsession with the provenance of our cars’ mapping software a bit strange. I mean, if you really want to use Google Maps, there’s nothing stopping you from using CarPlay or Android Auto and doing just that .
Well...I don't have or need a smart phone yet. So I depend on GPS software to find my way. The 2014 version of TomTom in my Hyundai is awful, we won't use it. But the top of the line (7 years ago) with lifetime upgrades has been fantastic. I don't want anything less than great for my new V60. If I had a smart phone it might be a moot point. Someday I will have no choice but to own a smart phone I am sure.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I take it you're older. My parents do the same thing because they're not comfortable with phones.
I use phone everywhere else, just not in car, unless I can't find the destination on GPS. :)
I usually sent the destination to car before getting in it. :)
The heat from phone is annoying.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes....I am old AND older! But since I work from home and don't have kids or grand kids, and my wife works with me from home, and I don't need to know what everyone else in the world I know is doing at every waking moment of the day, the monthly expense is better spent on non-poison locally raised produce and meat then with another telecommunication disposable income leaching corporation. Sorry for the rant...you touched a nerve. Someday I will have no choice I suppose. When my bionic organs are controlled by a cell tower connection to Goggle Life Support Medical Services I will have one for sure. Apple would be my first choice. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2020 S60 (2.5 weeks old!) - I just checked the maps in Sensus and it appears to be the same map that is in our other Volvos (both 2018 XC60s and the 2017 S90 I traded in for the 2020 S60). I have been using Waze through Apple CarPlay, which I like better. However, I think that while most built in car navigation systems are not very good, the Volvo map is better than most.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Volvo maps are very good. What sucks is the way to find a destination while driving on Sensus. Every time I am trying to ask for POI or an address it finds easily similar places in other countries rather than my own. Even if I ask to take me to a specific address other than the "Take me Home" command, nothing else works.

I always end up doing a quick search in Volvo on Call up, and send it to the car, which works 100% and never fails. Once the vehicle receives the address or the POI from VoC then miraculously it recognises (the exact same POI or Address I was trying to type) and takes me there the best route possible. Seriously why can't they incorporate the Gooogle search in the navigation system and finish with it, the car already has Google Search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts