SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Auto is probably going out. I was just wondering if I could do a manual swap. The manual is slightly cheaper and I can get all the shifterm pedals what not on ebay.

Anyone more familiar with these cars that knows if it can be done? Im moderatly handy with cars so I would think about doing it myself maybe, or just have my volvo guy in denver do it. Im basically thinking shifter, clutch and tranny. Would I need to change the computer as well? Or more importantly how would the Halidex(sp) deal with it?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
hmm i know theres an issue with the RPM not going above 4000 rpm with the p2 volvo's, not sure about p1, your better off just finding a used auto trans somewhere, check www.car-part.com few in there for about 800

·
Registered
957 Posts
From what I've read here a tranny swap requires a computer swap too. Swapping from an AT to manual sounds like a LOT of work. I'd call around and talk to some transmission shops about rebuilding your current AT. Have you done a fluid/filter change? What symptoms is giving you the idea your trans is going bad?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, new control boxes are a must have. New drive shafts are required. New shift mechanism. New pedals (incl. clutch hydraulics). Possibly even new gearbox mounts... I'd simply get a new automatic and sell the car and then buy a manual.

Do you have the AWD system? If yes, have fun finding a M66W with AWD flange on it...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, new control boxes are a must have. New drive shafts are required. New shift mechanism. New pedals (incl. clutch hydraulics). Possibly even new gearbox mounts... I'd simply get a new automatic and sell the car and then buy a manual.

Do you have the AWD system? If yes, have fun finding a M66W with AWD flange on it...
Ya its AWD I guess ill just replace the auto. On a side note Ill prob just trade it in for an ST, I think those come in manual lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
dont do it unless you have a manual car near by where you can go and get ALL the parts off

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
dont do it unless you have a manual car near by where you can go and get ALL the parts off
Yep, and then it would be easier to put the working parts from the automatic into the manual! Like engine etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts