SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (C70drvr)

Technically, anything is possible. However, you would need custom software so that you don't get tranny codes popping up left and right, put in a new shifter panel, somehow put in a clutch, all that extra work. It would take months to do it probably and lots of money.<p>I did hear somewhere that the prototype models of the second gen S80 used a manual transmission, but the target audience wasn't car enthusiasts, but more or less middle aged people who wanted a safe, family commuter car, which doesn't call for a stick, so they didn't include it in the lineup.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (vivek9856)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>vivek9856</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Technically, anything is possible. However, you would need custom software so that you don't get tranny codes popping up left and right, put in a new shifter panel, somehow put in a clutch, all that extra work. It would take months to do it probably and lots of money.<p>I did hear somewhere that the prototype models of the second gen S80 used a manual transmission, but the target audience wasn't car enthusiasts, but more or less middle aged people who wanted a safe, family commuter car, which doesn't call for a stick, so they didn't include it in the lineup.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The hard part isn't the shifter and the clutch pedal, because they offer an S80 in a stick in Europe. Then you'd need an ECU for the tranny, and i'm sure iPd could help out with that. It's not that big of a project if Volvo's transmissions fit. I'm just not sure if any Volvo tranny will fit the size of the V8. The M66 would be the tranny you want. They offer a many tranny with the smaller motor options, but not the V8 in Europe, which might mean that they couldn't find a manual tranny that fit. The Automatic tranny in the S80 V8 might help us figure out if the M66 would fit. If it's the same tranny from the S60R, the aisin-warner unit, then the M66 might fit. <p>That would be a dream of mine to have an S80 V8 with a stick.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (cmurphy2266)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>cmurphy2266</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>The hard part isn't the shifter and the clutch pedal, because they offer an S80 in a stick in Europe. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Oh wow - I didn't know that!<p>Personally, I think a manual T6 would be amazing!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>vivek9856</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Oh wow - I didn't know that!<p>Personally, I think a manual T6 would be amazing!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>In some European countries, such as the UK, the T6 isn't offered.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>vivek9856</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally, I think a manual T6 would be amazing!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>And Volvo would be lucky to sell 50 of them here in the US......all to SS members. Other than that.......a floorplan nightmare.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (MagoonR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MagoonR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>And Volvo would be lucky to sell 50 of them here in the US......all to SS members. Other than that.......a floorplan nightmare.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Amen!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (MagoonR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MagoonR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>And Volvo would be lucky to sell 50 of them here in the US......all to SS members. Other than that.......a floorplan nightmare.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Any idea as to how many they actually sell? 3.2's vs T6's vs V8's?

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

Only a few V8's. Probably 80% 3.2's.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (VolvoMax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>VolvoMax</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only a few V8's. Probably 80% 3.2's.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>AT in US? Correct?<p>I do not think that V8 was ever available with MT, even in Europe.<p>I think MT is packaged with 2.5T, 2.0 1.6 and diesels.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (gascos80)

Yes, US cars.<br>The V8 isn't available with a manual anywhere. Neither is the T6. Or the 3.2 I believe.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (VolvoMax)

Yes, that is what I thought - the high-end "US" engines are not available with MT even in Europe.<p>See how US impacts the world...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Manual transmission on the V8 (gascos80)

If I could get a standard tranny into an S80 V8, it would be my next car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts