SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Redline MTL is what I use. I heard 75w90 works as well though from Mobil 1 or Lucas or who ever.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Re: (jrodT5)

Quote, originally posted by jrodT5 »
Redline MTL is what I use. I heard 75w90 works as well though from Mobil 1 or Lucas or who ever.

I had Redline from 100k to 163k where I lost the tranny due synchro rings failure. Cannot vote for MTL anymore...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Manual transmission oil (Danhaggis)

I would not touch it. You do not need to change it.

If you really have too, I was told you can use Mobil 1 5w 30 synthetic, but to be safe ask a dealer.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The Volvo gear oil is a 70w80 gear oil which is why it mimics a 5w 30/10w 30 motor oil. There are some VSers who run Mobil 1 5w 30 in their manual transmissions and seem to be doing ok.

I would just stick to the synthetic Volvo Manual gearbox oil. It's not so expensive and will give you peace of mind.

I do think Redline makes excellent stuff - I use it in the differentials on my parents BMW (75w 90 synthetic gear oil) and have heard that the Synthetic Redline MTL is appropriate for the M56s.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,459 Posts
Re: Manual transmission oil (jgas)

I recently changed the gear oil in my manual tranny. I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil (or whatever the Volvo manual's recommended weight was). It was an immediately noticeable improvement, and my car only has 78,000 miles on it. The M1 is around $10 a quart. If I were to do it over, and I just might--I would go with Royal Purple.

Get 3 quarts of whatever gear oil you choose, as you will need just over two quarts to refill. Also, the oil will flow forward over the chassis beam when you open the drain plug and form a Niagra Falls effect so be ready with a large open container. The fill plug is a little hard to access. Make sure you have a deep, thin socket or you will be left high and dry.

I would not use motor oil in your transmission, as some suggest above.

Do it. It's a cheap but noticeable improvement. You will love the difference.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It's funny that VADIS doesn't actually state what the Volvo gear oil is beyond saying that's it's synthetic and the equivalent of an SAE 5w 30 oil.

The AWD angle gear oil is an API-GL5/SAE 80W synthetic gear oil which is reverse compatible with the M56/M58/M59 transmissions according to the bottle so I assume that the transmission gearbox oil is a similar weight or Volvo wouldn't say that the 2 gear oils are reverse compatible.

This is why I stated that it's a 70 80 gear oil...I am going to have to look carefully at a bottle of the stuff soon and report back.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Re: (Big Will)

Nothing wrong with motor oil. I use it in my Saab manual. My old 740 shifted better after going back to 5W-30 from MTL. I love and use Redline motor oil, but the MTL is not friendly to every MT, and was basically too slippery for the sync's.
These days, I personally would use the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,459 Posts
Re: (Bearclaw)

What do you mean "too slippery"? What effect?

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Re: (pelicanflyt)

I found the shifting effort to be higher when engaging any gear. This shocked me, since I thought I had changed to the absolute best stuff there was. Then I started researching this and found that this was a common complaint about MTL on the Honda forums. They have better luck in their cars with Honda's product. I went back to motor oil, and things were much improved.
Ironically, Redline's own product info says the MTL lubes "have the appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers. Many gear oils, engine oils, and ATFs are too slippery for proper synchro engagement."

I found the effect to be the opposite. Of course, this was on an older tranny with 150K on it. YMMV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts