SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if I have an OEM or an aftermarket axle in my car. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 2001 V70 T5 with a manual and 173,000 miles. The passenger side axle seems to be causing a vibration on the highway. These axles are hard to come by other than as a dealer reman or an Asian made new one. The inner boot has a small tear so I pulled the axle out today thinking I would replace the boot for now and found the clamps on the boot were the cheesy tug, fold over and hammer kind so the boot was replaced at some point but more surprising to me was that the inner CV joint was the tripod style, not the Rzeppa style I was expecting. I thought the inner CV joints were all the Rzeppa style on the manual cars. Is this not the case? Do they only use those on the R and AWD cars or has this axle been replaced with a cheaper aftermarket one? Also, the inner joint seemed to have quite a bit of slop in it. It would need to have some so that the tripod bearings can move in and out but I'm not sure how much is acceptable. Not too sure what to do at this point. I don't like the idea of spending $550 on a reman through the dealer but my only other option seems to be one of the new ones from Asia. They go for as little as $70 but from all reports it seems they are hit and miss on the quality, actually mostly miss. If the axle in the car isn't original, I wonder if it will even be acceptable as a core.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Volvo loves those crimp style clamps so I wouldn't rule it out as an oem axle. And the inner joint from the factory is the tripod style you're seeing, which allows the axle to travel in and out as the suspension moves up and down.

I got my axles rebuilt here in Denver from CVJ axle, so they're OEM but like new. $75 each.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both styles of CV joints allow for travel of the suspension, I was just under the impression that only the automatic cars used the tripod style which I assume is cheaper. Every post I could find on manual transmission cars showed the inner joint as having the rzeppa joints, but those may have all been R models which would be AWD.

Good to hear you found a local rebuilder. No such luck here in the Boston area.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but unfortunately no. I thought all of the tripod CV joints had grooves on the outside of the female portion of the joint but I now know that isn't the case because the one I have doesn't so pictures of the axle don't help. It would be great if I could get that axle but it isn't available. It seems the only source for a reman axle is the dealer or ipd.

For now, I will just clean up the axle I have and put on a new boot and run it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts