SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan out how I am going to tackle upgrading my 850Rs and I am coming to the conclusion that it does not make a lot of sense for me to do the manual swaps myself. I don't have equipment, experience, or time to justify doing it on my own, despite how much I would like to, and in reality I will probably save money and heart ache by having a professional take care of it (factoring my time into the equation of course).

I was thinking about doing an m56 with LSD, lighter fly wheel and R clutch for the black '97 that I am doing mods to and maybe a more stock m56 setup for the red '96 car that I plan to keep mostly stock. Let me know what you think though, I am still learning; the M66D that Jared is doing sounds very nice (I do lots of highway driving) but obviously they are hard to get in the US and idk if I could get a shop to install one over here.

Is anyone familiar with an independent Volvo mechanic in the NE that would do a swap? Any ideas on what the cost would be? A quick google search brought up some potential candidates but I figured I would ask here first.

·
Registered
17,682 Posts
Rolling Motors in Watertown CT are the guys you want to do it. They’ve done many swaps especially on p80s.

·
Registered
17,682 Posts
I just sent them a message, they are looking very good.
Ben and Bobby are the only techs that touch my cars and my families besides Volvo doing alignments. My 03 is headed there for a clutch and quaife soon.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
AW50-42LE >>>> M56 for highway driving. M56 is good around town. There's a good reason I use my T-5R as my GT car. The AW50-42LE is a wonderful piece of equipment to spend a couple days on the highway with.

We will see how the equation changes when my 850R is done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree it is definitely a nice automatic transmission and has been great for the road trips I have done but I am itching for a manual car... there is no replacement. I got to drive a co workers cayman GT4 (awesome car btw) the other day and now all I can think about is having three pedals again.

I was considering doing the manual swap into the black car I am modding and then put the automatic into the red one I am daily driving since it is starting to have problems. That might be a good compromise and save some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts