SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we had a bad experience with the Volvo parked on a steep angle and not being able open the doors with the key fob. We and the tow truck driver that got us back into decided it was the immobilizer as the key fob worked and the car fired right away.
Sound reasonable to everyone?
I did try the metal key blade on the drivers door and trunk at the time but it didn't work (I was very thankful for Volvo putting a searchable owner manual online!)

Skip ahead to today and I am driving (versus my wife usually driving this Volvo) and just wondered if I could gain access with the key blade.
Key goes in and turns clockwise and counter-clockwise but the door lock pull does not move and the door stays locked.
Am I missing a step?
Not turning far enough?
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Recently we had a bad experience with the Volvo parked on a steep angle and not being able open the doors with the key fob. We and the tow truck driver that got us back into decided it was the immobilizer as the key fob worked and the car fired right away.
Sound reasonable to everyone?
I did try the metal key blade on the drivers door and trunk at the time but it didn't work (I was very thankful for Volvo putting a searchable owner manual online!)

Skip ahead to today and I am driving (versus my wife usually driving this Volvo) and just wondered if I could gain access with the key blade.
Key goes in and turns clockwise and counter-clockwise but the door lock pull does not move and the door stays locked.
Am I missing a step?
Not turning far enough?
Any input would be appreciated.
I've actually never used my manual key before. After reading your post I was curious and tried it on my car. I inserted the key into the door, turned it clockwise, and the door unlocked without any issues. I didn't pull the handle to open the door though because apparently that will set of the alarm if you unlock it using the manual key. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't work on both lock cylinders. Maybe try pushing the key in farther or orientating it differently. Mine unlocked with a quarter of a turn as well.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've only ever used the manual key on the trunk. You really need to push it in, and it's a tight squeeze, but it did turn and unlock the trunk with 1/4 turn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone....Two times in one day we have had the issue return. Latest was in our garage. This is what is happening: Car is locked with key fob. Alarm light on dash is blinking. Locks do not respond to either of the two fobs we have. I try key blade in door and the cylinder turns but the the lock does not move. Try the key blade in the trunk access and the key goes in but does not turn. I have used PB Blaster on both cylinders with no luck.
I am concerned about an expensive or futile wild goose chase with electronics at the dealership if there is an immobilizer issue. I would really like to get the manual locks working as this is now a serious reliability and safety issue as this is my wife's car.
Would a VIDA scan reveal anything?
Has anyone had a similar experience with the manual locks? If so, how did you resolve?
TIA

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
How is the battery in the fob? two go for about $5 in target or walmart

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello everyone....Two times in one day we have had the issue return. Latest was in our garage. This is what is happening: Car is locked with key fob. Alarm light on dash is blinking. Locks do not respond to either of the two fobs we have. I try key blade in door and the cylinder turns but the the lock does not move. Try the key blade in the trunk access and the key goes in but does not turn. I have used PB Blaster on both cylinders with no luck.
I am concerned about an expensive or futile wild goose chase with electronics at the dealership if there is an immobilizer issue. I would really like to get the manual locks working as this is now a serious reliability and safety issue as this is my wife's car.
Would a VIDA scan reveal anything?
Has anyone had a similar experience with the manual locks? If so, how did you resolve?
TIA
The only things coming to my mind is that maybe both your keys are not original to the car. Whenever they would've been replaced, whoever replaced them did not cut the metal key to match your car. Either that or both lock cylinders were replaced, although that seems unlikely. I don't think both your locks cylinders are seized because it doesn't seem likely for both to do that at the same time. If you keep trying to use the wrong key in the keyhole, I wouldn't be surprised if the car set it's alarm. If I were you I would replace the batteries in the fob as mentioned before and then maybe go to a dealer and show them your keys. They might be able to see if your cut pattern matches your vin number.

·
Registered
332 Posts
takes a lot of force to turn the lock cylinder with the little key insert. assuming it is an oem key insert, it takes a surprising amount to break it. just turn the key harder and the door will open

·
Registered
8 Posts
The car was at Sesi Volvo Friday and they have diagnosed a broken linkage in the manual door lock. We are rolling around the idea of a $450 (parts and labor) replacement. We will probably do it as it takes the uncertainty of an electrical gremlin keeping us from accessing the vehicle when we need to away.
I guess I would suggest to all reading that you test your key blade to see that it will work when YOU need it.
Thanks to everyone that read and responded to my post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for being very slow to update. I have learned through another thread that my car met a certain condition that when the low tire pressure warning is triggered the signal being sent from the tire(s) conflicts with the key fob and prevents the doors from being remotely unlocked.
This would not have been a been as big a deal for us IF our manual key would have worked. We did get the linkage fixed in the driver door so this won't (hopefully) happen again and strand one of us.

As a side note, due to this issue we had to use roadside assistance twice in about a month to physically open the driver door.
My latest insurance bill (Hanover/Citizens) went up about 30%. When I confronted my agent about this and explained, my premium was adjusted.
Thanks as always to this great community and board for helping me fix the all out!
Hope you are all staying healthy and happy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts