SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife recently bought a new 2019 Volvo XC40 T4 FWD Momentum with three packages:

* Premium Package
* Vision Package
* Advanced Package

So far, the Park Pilot Assist for parallel parking has never worked. It identifies empty slots where all spaces are occupied, inaccurately tries to back into empty spots (would cause an accident had she not always cancelled), etc. We know it has limitations from watching several YouTube videos on this feature (e.g. there can be difficult where the curb juts out, etc). But have tried it in at least 6 different parallel parking locations and it never works. Is this likely a hardware (sensor) or software issue? While it could be User Error, we really doubt it.

Bringing the car in for warranty service soon because she's having strange issues with the gas gauge / remaining range. For the first month or so, a full tank would always show a range of 380 miles. Now the readings are completely erratic. After a each tank fill, we now see wildly varying ranges. During a single long drive, the range increases and decrease by dozens of miles over time erratically. So we need to bring it in for service.

We purchased at Volvo of North Miami (best deal) but live in Winter Garden, FL. Geographically, the closest Volvo Dealership is in Winter Park. How good or bad is their Service Dept? And will they treat us any differently when performing warranty work since we purchased the car elsewhere? Ford did that to me once. Never again will I buy a Ford. I think the next closest Volvo Dealerships are in Ocala and Daytona. A bit of a haul. Wish Volvo would build a dealership in Clermont. I get great treatment out there servicing my Toyota, even though I bought it in NC.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Sorry.. no insights for you, but I have all those packages and have yet to even try the park assist. LOL. It's a skill I don't want to lose.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I sent the OP here from Bogleheads. I’ve yet to get Park Pilot Assist to work on my XC60. Only once did it find a spot when scanning but only offered me a parallel parking option with a pull in parking spot. There so much other cool tech in my XC60 it really hasn’t been a priority to figure it out. I’m guessing it’s mostly user error in my case.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I’ve been very happy with the service department at Volvo Winter Park (The Volvo Store). I’ve brought 4 different Volvos there over the years. Two came from there (first one and most recent one), and two I’ve bought used elsewhere. I usually work with Elizabeth in Service and she is great. They have always taken good care of me, even on the two that i bought elsewhere. My only complaint would be the service department is not large so there is always a backup when trying to schedule an appointment.

Regarding the range, I am pretty sure that it tries to calculate remaining range based on most recent trip MPG. This could explain the widely varying range readings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's learning.I saw readings like that early with my XC 40 It got better after the first couple thousand miles. I think Volvo says it should be accurate after 5k. My average has been 21.5 for a while now I just hit 5k

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I actually got PPA to recognize a pull-in parking space. I think the key here was driving slower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all. @Nick, glad to hear about your positive service experience at Volvo of WP. I’ll advise my wife to ask for Elizabeth. Don’t know who she’s been assigned to yet. If we can’t get Elizabeth, are there any other service reps there you really like?

Good to hear about the adaptive mileage range feature. As well, I wouldn’t rule out User Error at all. I’ll have her try PPA driving slower. About how slow are we talking about?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a xc40 Momentum T5 and the parallel park assist works flawlessly and has never put me in a situation where I've needed to cancel it to avoid an accident.
So it's definitely not user error. Since the software in your car would be nearly identical to the software in all the other cars, it's more likely sensor malfunction or calibration.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks to all. @Nick, glad to hear about your positive service experience at Volvo of WP. I’ll advise my wife to ask for Elizabeth. Don’t know who she’s been assigned to yet. If we can’t get Elizabeth, are there any other service reps there you really like?

Good to hear about the adaptive mileage range feature. As well, I wouldn’t rule out User Error at all. I’ll have her try PPA driving slower. About how slow are we talking about?
They are a small dealership and only have a few advisors. She is the only one i’ve Worked with of the current ones.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Sorry.. no insights for you, but I have all those packages and have yet to even try the park assist. LOL. It's a skill I don't want to lose.
I tried it out for the first time... It was cool and did a good job, but I can do it a lot faster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts