SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here made their own DP

At local US prices, especially the $399 Re-Volv charge for theirs I can imagine why you wouldn't, however I live in New Zealand and import charges shipping etc basically double that and some.
If I was to have someone local fab one up, is the R DP unique when compared to a standard 2.5T pipe, I was hoping to maybe use one as a template and give it to someone who can create on here.

I have heard someone say they differ, so I'm looking for some info on what to watch for - especially things like the turbo flange

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Since the time of henry ford and the industrial revolution , assembly line production (and therefore mass production) is more efficient than one-offs. So, no, I’m not making a downpipe.

There’s a used one for sale in the classifieds. Do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but I will go with the cat.
Hey if it wasn't for shipping etc the Re-Volv one at $399 is also an absolute steal (compared with some at double that), it's the costs of landing it that kill it.
I 100% agree with something made on a proper jig being the best option, just less attractive at 10% of the cars value....

we get smacked with import biosecurity inspection fees as well as the sales tax (thats fair enough)

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
FYI, the $399.00 is without the cat.

All down pipes are not created equal. The Re-volv unit doesn't have the machined flange, 02 wire hangar or the heatshield bracket mount. While I know some don't care, these are features that reflect a true "OEM" replacement (with or without cat depending on your persuasion).

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Buy my snabb catted for $400. I can probably have it cut and a V band rig welded in for ease of install and shipping.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy my snabb catted for $400. I can probably have it cut and a V band rig welded in for ease of install and shipping.
I've PM'd you, you may have a deal there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well despite the ready made options that are available, and thank you to Mr ScottishBrick for the enlightening pics around the quality of one well known brand, I found someone local who had the skills, a Volvo and a few interested locals like myself.
In many places outside of the states local taxes and shipping kill it, like almost double the cost or more. So it certainly can and has been done, and like in my case if there are several interested people it's worth them setting up the jig.
It certainly makes life easier when they are a fellow Volvo enthusiast.

Am I correct that the factory gasket is what we use ? given that it is still bolting upto the factory turbo flange

Downpipe.jpg

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Nice job looks good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually bought a full exhaust of the same guy, he's a maintenance fitter welder and he built a 3" system for his XC70, but found the little turbo spooled too hard so went with a V70R system.
So I bought his system for less than the cost of the stainless bits and muffler, and now he has made a decent downpipe for me, top bloke in my books !

Can anyone tell me the part number for whatever gaskets are used, I'm dubious when they list the same one for 760's etc, and I suspect that I may have an oil leak from the turbo - assuming it's easiest to do this while I have the downpipe off what are the likely parts I should get to be prepared ?
is it really just this ? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-turbocharger-gasket-s60-s80-v70-xc70-xc90-30650969oe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts