SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04R with factory nav that i never use. its outdated and buying a disk isnt going to happen. my phone is 10 times the nav unit. Now my idea is to use a interface unit to link it with a parrot mik9200 system i found in the car (very happy day). Just wondering if anyone has tried this before or has any other units hooked to the factory nav screen?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Unfortunately the low resolution of the screen puts a limit on what you can do with it. I also use my phone as a modern nav and don't really use the factory unit any more, especially now that I'm on the other side of the country that I have no disks for, so I sometimes think about what else I could use it for.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Unfortunately the low resolution of the screen puts a limit on what you can do with it. I also use my phone as a modern nav and don't really use the factory unit any more, especially now that I'm on the other side of the country that I have no disks for, so I sometimes think about what else I could use it for.
I know MVi sells an RTI to RGA adapter to use the nav screen as a TV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I found a couple they seem to range from 2 to $300 I've seen examples of it working on a few makes was just curious if anybody had done it with a Volvo nav

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I'm not sure why you're even bothering to post about a technology that's 16 years old in an 11 year old car!!!!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I'm not sure why you're even bothering to post about a technology that's 16 years old in an 11 year old car!!!!
I'd just get a Garmin and shoehorn it into the nav display box. Or an iPad...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JRL are you always a prick? Last time I checked this sub forum is dedicated to a 8-11 year old car and anything about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not sure why you're even responding with nothing constructive to say. I was also curious to if anyone else had re-purposed their outdated nav. I believe one user in a build thread mentioned his plans of converting the system to an android based system. I think that's pretty neat and worth discussing.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
JRL are you always a prick? Last time I checked this sub forum is dedicated to a 8-11 year old car and anything about it.
That right there is just fking awesome.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was just going to print off a picture of a piece of toast and tape it over the nav screen as a novelty for passengers.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Short answer, yes. He rarely has anything productive to say anymore. Has to be one of the most pessimistic people on the face of this Earth.

That's cool you found something like that. I don't have nav in my car but if I did, I would have posted this same question a long time ago. I went the DVD head unit route instead.

I hope the ballsack resolution doesn't pose a problem.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The sat nav screen is fine for a reverse camera screen.

This is the imiv unit with the volvotech camera.
I also have the full IMIV classic kit with the reverse camera. You can use the screen with your ipod apparently (havnt figured that out yet) and it also has the 3 rca in plugs on the unit for an outside source. I also have the ipod cable run to the front with the bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The parrot kit that I have works very well full Bluetooth control with phones. IPod USB sd card and auxiliary input for music. It also has a 2.4" dot matrix screen. I'm hoping to hook the factory nav screen to the parot system. The nav tool I found says "any video inpur" but I'm going to contact Navtool to verify.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I didn't order nav when filling out the build info for my car as I knew it would be outdated in a very short time (actually, it was probably outdated in 2005 when I ordered the car). I thought using a cel phone that could be upgraded every couple years would be much better than a CD based system that was hardwired into the vehicle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I didn't order nav when filling out the build info for my car as I knew it would be outdated in a very short time. Plus I have a very good sense of direction and know how to read a map.
Still pretty damn cool to see the screen pop up out of the dash on every startup. And the few times I needed a quick route somewhere new it does come in handy! Also makes your passengers confused if you can time it right making it rise and fall with the force!

1. leave it down
2. Tell everyone to watch
3. Hit enter discretely and raise your hand 4 seconds later...
4. watch everyone oogle at the 10 year old technology

1 - 20 of 25 Posts