SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 XC60 Inscription T5 with Polestar and have learned so much from this forum. Thank you to all that contribute.

In comparing the XC60 to the Q5, GLC, and X3 I noticed that reviews were mixed with regards to whether the XC60 had decent insulation and a quiet cabin, or "good enough" for luxury but not up to par with the Germans. I found the vehicle quiet but not to the level of the Germans myself and wanted to improve upon that. I noticed that the spare tire area has no insulation around it, just bare metal. Disappointing as a loaner V60 I had did have insulation in the wheel well. Not sure why Volvo left this out on the XC60 but seems cheap. I went ahead and purchased some second skin luxury liner pro and shoved as much as I could into the crevices to cover all the bare metal. I also used the left over amount to go below the floor mats in the cabin. I didn't line it first with a Dynamat extreme type product because I didn't want that hassle. I have to say that I was impressed with its impact. I downloaded a free iPhone sound meter app (so who knows how accurate) but Im now getting only about 61-62db at 70mph and when riding around the city the "burble" of the T5 engine with Polestar optimization is now much more muffled. Its only noticeable on acceleration, but for some reason that bothered me because it took away from the luxury experience the cabin otherwise conveyed. Anyway, just sharing as I have learned so much and wanted to give back to the community.

One other tidbit, to improve a persistent complaint. I have the 19inch wheels on mine (specifically wanted that because I didn't get the air suspension but wish I did). To improve ride quality I bought a tire pressure gauge and noticed that the wheel pressure were not equal and that some were too high by almost 4lbs. I normalized the levels to the lowest acceptable limit and ride quality improved noticeably. I think you would be hard pressed now to say that with the Inscription trim with all the options (sans B and W audio), that the Q5, GLC, or X3 could compete unless you get an M series BMW and are very concerned about driving dynamics.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
You could use Acousti-block as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im definitely going to try insulating my spare tire area too, maybe it'll help deaden some of the road noise. I drive a 2018 xc60 r-design, i always thought the cabin is unusually loud. It sounded as if i left a door slightly open or a window not sealed properly. did anyone ever get a tsb or some sort of repair done because of excessive wind or cabin noise? thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im definitely going to try insulating my spare tire area too, maybe it'll help deaden some of the road noise. I drive a 2018 xc60 r-design, i always thought the cabin is unusually loud. It sounded as if i left a door slightly open or a window not sealed properly. did anyone ever get a tsb or some sort of repair done because of excessive wind or cabin noise? thanks
No, but they did insulate my front doors around the speakers because of some technical bulletin. It helped some as well though the rattle I brought the vehicle in for ultimately proved to be a broken mid woofer in the door so they replaced that and the tweeter just in case that was contributing and the problem went away. I think lining the spare tire well helped a bit with exhaust noise. Not sure it helped with road noise but I did line the areas under each floor mat (mind you I didn't do it the "real" way by pulling up the carpeting and applying it to the bare sheet metal) but I do think it made a difference and I would be surprised if someone driving the car didn't notice how quiet it was. Definitely feels more luxury now and as quiet as the German luxury SUVs, and that's not subjective but measured with a sound level meter (iPhone app). Good luck, its pretty easy to do and the stuff I bought was about $100 delivered so not an expensive experiment to run.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Subscribing with interest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks for the reply! i do like to know the material you used under the floormat and inside the spare tire area. thanks in advance!

No, but they did insulate my front doors around the speakers because of some technical bulletin. It helped some as well though the rattle I brought the vehicle in for ultimately proved to be a broken mid woofer in the door so they replaced that and the tweeter just in case that was contributing and the problem went away. I think lining the spare tire well helped a bit with exhaust noise. Not sure it helped with road noise but I did line the areas under each floor mat (mind you I didn't do it the "real" way by pulling up the carpeting and applying it to the bare sheet metal) but I do think it made a difference and I would be surprised if someone driving the car didn't notice how quiet it was. Definitely feels more luxury now and as quiet as the German luxury SUVs, and that's not subjective but measured with a sound level meter (iPhone app). Good luck, its pretty easy to do and the stuff I bought was about $100 delivered so not an expensive experiment to run.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's great that you used a decibel meter after the improvements were made, but the number has very limited value unless a) you took readings beforehand or b) you've taken similar readings in other luxury vehicles. It could very well be a placebo effect.

I really don't think Volvo would just skip the trunk lining to be "cheap" on a $50k-$60k SUV, especially if some of their other vehicles have it. More likely some conscious thought was given to the matter; perhaps lab testing showed a minimal actual decrease in road noise, compared to the cost, or the hit to fuel economy, etc.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
371 Posts
I really don't think Volvo would just skip the trunk lining to be "cheap" on a $50k-$60k SUV, especially if some of their other vehicles have it. More likely some conscious thought was given to the matter; perhaps lab testing showed a minimal actual decrease in road noise, compared to the cost, or the hit to fuel economy, etc.
Welcome to modern automobile design. Decontenting is absolutely huge in every segment -- luxury included -- and every single manufacturer has been guilty of it on a luxury car at some point. I think it's more likely that there was difficulty maintaining the configuration across the T5/6 vs the T8 because of the battery compartment locations in the trunk, which is where it sounds like OP had some success.

I agree that measures needed to be taken both before and after and at multiple locations within the cabin for this to be even remotely objective, though. I can completely believe that additional acoustic deadening could prove impactful though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome to modern automobile design. Decontenting is absolutely huge in every segment -- luxury included -- and every single manufacturer has been guilty of it on a luxury car at some point. I think it's more likely that there was difficulty maintaining the configuration across the T5/6 vs the T8 because of the battery compartment locations in the trunk, which is where it sounds like OP had some success.

I agree that measures needed to be taken both before and after and at multiple locations within the cabin for this to be even remotely objective, though. I can completely believe that additional acoustic deadening could prove impactful though.
I don't know what that means in this context...'welcome to modern automobile design'...as if I'm somehow ignorant of a big trade secret. I am very much aware of how modern automobiles are designed and built, and your theory is still just a theory. It also doesn't mean that Volvo was being 'cheap'...let's say the T5/T6/T8 bodies are all built on the same assembly line, and adding sound deadening to the trunk on T5/T6 would've cost XXX hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to come up with a retooled assembly line. That's not Volvo being cheap, that's them being financially prudent. They're different things.

I also believe that acoustic deadening could prove impactful, but I'm also a scientist. People 500 years ago believed that the rotation of the stars could be explained by Earth being at the center of the universe, until someone did before and after measurements :):)

·
Registered
970 Posts
let's say the T5/T6/T8 bodies are all built on the same assembly line, and adding sound deadening to the trunk on T5/T6 would've cost XXX hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to come up with a retooled assembly line. That's not Volvo being cheap, that's them being financially prudent. They're different things.
I think you're arguing over semantics.

If competitor vehicles are quieter, then Volvo is being cheap, since other manufacturers have found a way to absorb the expense.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2021 XC60 Inscription T5 with Polestar and have learned so much from this forum. Thank you to all that contribute.

In comparing the XC60 to the Q5, GLC, and X3 I noticed that reviews were mixed with regards to whether the XC60 had decent insulation and a quiet cabin, or "good enough" for luxury but not up to par with the Germans. I found the vehicle quiet but not to the level of the Germans myself and wanted to improve upon that. I noticed that the spare tire area has no insulation around it, just bare metal. Disappointing as a loaner V60 I had did have insulation in the wheel well. Not sure why Volvo left this out on the XC60 but seems cheap. I went ahead and purchased some second skin luxury liner pro and shoved as much as I could into the crevices to cover all the bare metal. I also used the left over amount to go below the floor mats in the cabin. I didn't line it first with a Dynamat extreme type product because I didn't want that hassle. I have to say that I was impressed with its impact. I downloaded a free iPhone sound meter app (so who knows how accurate) but Im now getting only about 61-62db at 70mph and when riding around the city the "burble" of the T5 engine with Polestar optimization is now much more muffled. Its only noticeable on acceleration, but for some reason that bothered me because it took away from the luxury experience the cabin otherwise conveyed. Anyway, just sharing as I have learned so much and wanted to give back to the community.

One other tidbit, to improve a persistent complaint. I have the 19inch wheels on mine (specifically wanted that because I didn't get the air suspension but wish I did). To improve ride quality I bought a tire pressure gauge and noticed that the wheel pressure were not equal and that some were too high by almost 4lbs. I normalized the levels to the lowest acceptable limit and ride quality improved noticeably. I think you would be hard pressed now to say that with the Inscription trim with all the options (sans B and W audio), that the Q5, GLC, or X3 could compete unless you get an M series BMW and are very concerned about driving dynamics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's great that you used a decibel meter after the improvements were made, but the number has very limited value unless a) you took readings beforehand or b) you've taken similar readings in other luxury vehicles. It could very well be a placebo effect.

I don't disagree with your statements, but let me add a few comments. I am a scientist and agree that the placebo effect can be strong and that doing some pre measurements would have been ideal, but unfortunately I did not. The reading I measured I benchmarked against data that other publications (car and driver, motor trend, etc.) quote so I was comparing against that to note that the level of quietness seemed on par with other luxury SUVs and sedans. I don't see why it would make a difference in a V60 and not an XC60, and while I respect Volvo, I doubt they are that meticulous about the details that they would do A/B testing with and without the insulation around the spare tire. I honestly think it was done for financial reasons, You spend a little more in some places (the quality of the seats and leather) and cut elsewhere where the customer isn't looking or that isn't a touch point. I believe its just strategic marketing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.