SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introducing the brand new 2013 S60 R-Design in Rebel blue!.....that I bought just under a year ago...... Contrary to most peoples New Years budgetary resolutions, my plan is to spend a bunch of money making the S60 my own and end up keeping it longer term.

I purchased the car about a year ago sight unseen out of state based on pictures and CPO status. In the end I got a decent deal ($21k+tax/fees) with enclosed trailer transport to me. Unfortunately not seeing the car in person hid quite a few rock chips around the car. Paint was not terrible, but was disappointing at first coming from a pretty immaculate V50 (could not find/afford a V60 :( ). After a few months I found that a couple of the rims (OEM Ixions) were bent and opted to get into an inexpensive set of 18" Konig Oversteer rims (cheap, lighter weight and a decent design) as I intended to go up to 19" eventually.

So far I am loving the car, and the main reason that I am planning to keep is that I cannot get into a car that I would want more for around the same price. Acceleration is great and good for everyday driving, quick, but not too much for the road (unlike a recent C7 Grand Sport I was recently in). Handling isn't bad, but coming from also owning a Miata, it just isn't the same car to drive but there is no way that a car this big and heavy with a FWD bias would be as chuck-able and nimble. The biggest problem I have had with the car has been the unfriendly back seats for car seats. Coming from the V50 I thought that the bigger platformed S60 would be easier with my son getting bigger, but instead I found that only the center seat was usable with his booster and the right and left are almost impossible to use unless the car seat's LATCH strap doesn't have a adjustment near the latch itself. In all though I am very happy with the car seat issues being resolved for now and becoming a non-issue in the future. Hopefully the IPD bits I plan to put in do as much as other posters state and help curb the understeer (I am guessing that replacing the very meh YK580s it came with will help tremendously as well) and an eventual KPAX exhaust gives the sound I think the RD deserves.

Having had the car for coming up on a year I took a few pictures to catalog the look before any changes that I do

Current Mods/Add-ons/Accessories:
35% Tint (Already installed, may drop down to 25/27%)
OEM All Weather mats (a must in the PNW, especially with the original cardboard, I mean carpet mats)
OEM Trunk Mat
Amazon/Ebay Center Console Tray
Amazon/Ebay Door Pull Inserts
Brica and OEM Kick Guard for the Kiddo
Drop in K&N Filter
IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar
IPD Front and Rear Endlinks
Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert
Painted Caliper Clips (Prevent the rusting they are prone to do)
Polestar 31435954 Rims 19" with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Rubber
Rear Mud Guards
TFT Full Color DIM (Instrument/Gauge/Speedo Cluster)
Front Mud Guards

Future Mods/Add-ons:
KPAX/Elivate Catback Exhaust
Air Intake - Unlikely unless a cheaper intake comes on the market. I really like the GruppeM intake, but for the cost that any of them come it I cannot justify
LED Interior Light Conversion

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
504 Posts
Looks great, I had that same car and still have regrets about selling it when I did.

It will hold its appeal for years to come, will be interested to watch your mods.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Lookin' good, congrats! :thumbup: Volvo 3.0 I6 turbo and Rebel Blue is a great combination!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks George, I could actually use your help..... I was going to email to see if you guys could match some OTD pricing from Tasca for a few items. Would it be easier to work with you or go through the parts email on Viva's site?

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Thanks George, I could actually use your help..... I was going to email to see if you guys could match some OTD pricing from Tasca for a few items. Would it be easier to work with you or go through the parts email on Viva's site?
[email protected] is good, I monitor the mailbox as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm jealous that you can drive down to IPD! I live in Australia and the website shipping quote was $260-$300 alone that makes US$500 for one sway bar! What a joke. Might have to try a freight forwarding company.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm jealous that you can drive down to IPD! I live in Australia and the website shipping quote was $260-$300 alone that makes US$500 for one sway bar! What a joke. Might have to try a freight forwarding company.
Haha, it is pretty handy. I didn't know for a while, and then, looking to estimate how long shipping would take for a replacement for my V50, I found they were about 15-20 minutes away from me. They can't provide everything, but it is handy to save shipping (and tax) on small stuff like gas straps and the like

It does come in a decent size box (just fits from door to door in the back of the S60) so that might be part of it. You definitely should try and give them a call, otherwise I'm sure a freight forwarder would be able to assist if they allow 3rd party pick-ups. You could also try another party that sells it, like VIVA who might be able to do better when it comes to shipping.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decided to go ahead and try and get it done in the rain in the closed lot at behind my office. Ended up raining a little too much (and soaking me and my cardboard makeshift mat) and I opted to do the front end links next weekend, this will give me a chance to double check everything after some use too.

My biggest recommendation would be to just go ahead and PB Blaster the sway bar nuts from the get go as they were a pain and a half to get off under the car. The rims currently on the car are also only +45 offset so it looks like it would have been easier with the +55 OEM rims to get the rear end links off/on due to being so close to the wheel.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Dude you're nuts.... the IPD bar doesn't change the S60 enough for all that. It is more noticeable in the V60, but I wouldn't get wet for it. ;)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't stand everything sitting by my desk anymore and had to get it on! Besides, if I waited for rain (my single car garage isn't big enough to comfortably work in) I wouldn't get anything done!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sunny weekend and I finally got the front end links in. Don't know if it is just placebo effect, but the rear endlinks and sway bar does do a lot to help the car feel more neutral, eliminating the tendency to understeer. In any case I have been happy with the rears and I doubt I will notice anything with the new fronts.

I also put in the powerflex torque rod insert (race) earlier last week. Not much noticeable change. Maybe less of a kick on heavy throttle launches but hard to say without taking it out and testing.

I should have Polestar rims delivered tomorrow and have them on the car with a set of 245/40/19 Pilot Sport AS 3+ rubber on Saturday

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could not be happier with the outcome! Got the mud guards on before the rims (so i didn't have to remove the wheels to fit the torx in the gap) and the Rims on Saturday. It actually seems to rid slightly better than before, likely do to sticking to jumping up in every way to a 245/40/19 as well as being new tires. The car also sits perfect and removes any desire for spacers or lowering springs. No rubbing or other issues at this point after about 100 miles after getting them on. I will have to bring the car in for an alignment, due to some bad wear on the FR inside tread on the old tires though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
THat look awesome with those wheels

What is your feedback on the front end links?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts