SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First time posting here, but have already read a lot of great posts and you all seem a very active and useful bunch of Volvo fans :)

I'm in the market for a used 2008 - 2014 XC90 and am excited to get out there and test drive a few options (we are currently in another short lockdown here in Melbourne/Australia)

I haven't yet decided on which of the three engines (D5, SI6 3.2 or V8) I will want, as i want to drive them all first etc. My main question though is what are some of the major 'scheduled service' milestones to look out for.

I believe that the timing chain on the D5 needs to be changed at a service perhaps around the 185K Kms (150ish miles). There might also be a service scheduled up in the high 100's to change there serpentine belt etc.

I guess ultimately I want to factor in how long any particular car i look at might need a major scheduled service for things like timing chains, serpentine chains or any other costly service.

Generally I'm looking at cars between 100,000 and 150,000 Kms on the clock (62K - 93K miles).

Any input much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Think you're not getting too many bites on a response because this is an overtly common question that comes up maybe every couple of weeks..

In the interest of time, I might start by providing the Volvo maintenance schedule, can find it here-Volvo Car USA Support | Contact us | Help (custhelp.com)

Next are a few write-ups that might be helpful: High Mileage XC90 Buying Guide for the Regular Joe or Jane | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum , So you want to buy a used XC90 with No Warranty? � Prologue and Areas of Concern | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum , So you want to buy a used XC90 with No Warranty? – Questions to Ask before buying | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum . The last two I did in 2016 and a few things might have changed but I'm too lazy to go back in and fix them.

Read up and decide for yourself. If it's ease of maintenance that you want with a minimization of surprises, I'll guess the D5 might be best all around for where you're at. The V8 is hecka fun to drive but needs a lot of love (see (2) V8 XC90's (Including V8, V8 Sport, V8 R-Design) | Page 48 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum for how much) after 100k miles. I have never owned an I6 vehicle so cannot comment on that powerplant.

For general maintenance items, see OFFICIAL: XC90 Part Number & "How to" Thread | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum as a start.

Good luck with your search.

edit- add DIY link

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd love to have a D5 with a manual transmission, but they aren't available here in the US. Here is a good writeup on the 3.2L. The V8 is a great engine, but I wouldn't get one given that it looks like a pain to work on.

edit- With all XC90's, the suspension is a wear item. The control arm bushings, ball joints, complete strut assemblies (replace the bearing and mount at same time as strut) . Expect to replace it all, for sure the front control arms bushings tend to go first in my experience.

On the V8, the only thing I've seen pop up here with regularity is oil leaks at the valve covers, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

For the 3.2L, the flame trap is easy and should be done, and the 150K Mile service is extensive as in the above link. Also in there they say to go with the 2011+ because of a problem with bearing wear in the R.E.A.D. system prior to 2011 and Volvo did a fix for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I realise this may have come off as a common question, and possibly a lazy one but trust me I'd spent time looking for my answers :)

You actually gave me exactly what I want with the standard maintenance schedule from that link to US Volvo (I'm in Australia and our Volvo site only gave owners manuals and quick guides).

I had already read lots of people's personal experiences etc, but really just wanted to know what major maintenance jobs needed to be done as per the book with different engines...now I have that. Brilliant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts