SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 115000 mile s60 t5 m is going to be due for some major service real soon. new clutch. new suspension, timing belt, water pump, tires and brakes and any other loose ends that need to be tied up.

So my question is, does anyone know oh a good place to bring a volvo in boston, that is not the dealership.
I have no garage or tools since i moved to boston so i need to find a shop i can trust.

If anyone knows a reliable, afordable mechanic in boston im all ears

Thanks guys!

-Jack

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your current clutch has died already ? This will probably be like half of all your costs already as the flywheel will need to be changed with too.. Just saying :)

Timing belt incl. all accessories + water pump is a must indeed at that mileage, you're probably overdue already even..

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Lucky the clutch went and not the belt $$$$$

You don't want to do the belt/tensioner/idler pulley yourself anyway - to do it with true confidence, I heard its best to use the special tool that will keep the cams locked in place so the variable timing doesn't get messed up.
Either way, GET IT DONE NOW. that belt is 10K overdue and most here will say that 105K is 20K too long.

·
Registered
202 Posts
These 2 are 15-20 mins away from you. In Rockland MA http://www.wcsautomotive.com/ They have a good rep and are very fair.....I also have a local shop near me in Weymouth http://mannysauto.com/ . Owners name is Manny and will allow you to supply you own parts as long as they arenot crap and will charge you a labor rate. I am unsure of the rate. GL

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Lucky the clutch went and not the belt $$$$$

You don't want to do the belt/tensioner/idler pulley yourself anyway - to do it with true confidence, I heard its best to use the special tool that will keep the cams locked in place so the variable timing doesn't get messed up.
Either way, GET IT DONE NOW. that belt is 10K overdue and most here will say that 105K is 20K too long.
Just did the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc. on my S60 last week, didn't use or need a cam locking tool. Just followed the VADIS instructions.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say, there is no tool called for in the factory instructions, and I found the tool to be flimsy and just got in the way when I tried to use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys. and yes i know how far over due the timing belt is, i just pray every day that it doesnt break. and also the clutch is not completely fried yet, it slips and bumps be out of gear occasionaly. and as far as all the parts im supplying myself they are all coming from vivaperformance and tirerack.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. and yes i know how far over due the timing belt is, i just pray every day that it doesnt break. and also the clutch is not completely fried yet, it slips and bumps be out of gear occasionaly. and as far as all the parts im supplying myself they are all coming from vivaperformance and tirerack.
It's actually more often the tensioner that fails, which causes the belt to slip off. Belt's rarely break on these cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts