SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am a proud new honor of a 2019 XC90 momentum with advanced package and 20” wheels. I paid 51,000 and they included the tow hitch that pops out from the bumper in the price. It had the electrical too but I mostly need it for a cargo basket or bike rack. I’m coming from a Honda Odyssey so this is a whole new world. I’ve never loved a car like this even though it’s a lot more cramped than the van. My kids are older now and I want a nice car!

My question is how often should I wax this or shine the tires. It is garaged at home. We live in New England so salt will be a problem soon. How can I keep this thing looking good? How often should I condition the leather. I had leather in the van but honestly I didn’t care much then.

Any other hints? So far I love it. Sensus isn’t as hard to figure out as i thought.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
My first and foremost recommendation would be to have a Paint protection film installed and the entire vehicle Ceramic coated. This, in general, will keep muck/salt/scratches/chips off your Vehicle better and will be way easier to clean. Yes, it costs a pretty penny but you'll have the peace of mind of your Vehicle being protected from the salt and other chemicals (especially if you plan to own it for longer).

A good Iron decon spray for wheels along with a brushed tire wash should keep your wheels-tires clean. You can do it as frequently as you want. If your interior-leather is light-colored just get a warm watered, microfiber towel and clean your leather if you have dye transfer from your clothes/belts. You can also clean/polish them with dedicated leather cleaners/conditioners once every season if needed.

If you are someone who is a complete newbie to Vehicle detailing and even proper car-washing techniques, I recommend youtube. PantheOrganizer is one channel I would suggest to watch along with other many helpful Car detailing channels and videos.

Vehicle detailing has no bounds once you start getting into it. I've got a closet filled with detailing products and accessories for every possible Vehicle part. It all depends on how OCD you are about a perfect-looking vehicle and how much money you want to spend on keeping it looking that way.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Congrats and welcome to Volvo!
I recommend PPFing (paint protection film) as much of the car as you can, most vulnerable areas first. You can definitely PPF yourself if motivated and save some dinero (~$1.5k raw materials for entire car versus ~$8-12k to contract it out), and this forum has some hints to get you started. There are ready-made kits for places like the front bumper or you can start from a bulk roll. PPF is supposed to last up to 10 years before replacing.
I'm not a fan of ceramic coatings (CCs) because it can't offer the same level of scratch protection that PPF can provide but it is better than nothing, and it at least helps keep the dirt from sticking so hard. You can also do CCs yourself if so motivated (~$50-120 raw materials versus ~$250-600 to contract it out). CCs last 1-3 years then require compounding or polishing off entirely before reapplying new coats. I've noticed with CCs there is IMO a "trap" of tons of supplementary maintenance products that can drive up total cost and maintenance time - too much for me!
Some folks even do both, ie PPF first then CC.
Regarding the wax question, I've PPF'd my entire XC90 (because I finally got tired of paint scratches on all my older cars that eventually became rust holes) and weekly use a waterless car wash wax - see Amazon picture below - (ie spray on the product, then wipe with a microfiber towel, then hand buff with a finer microfiber towel) for both the body and rims, that I do in the comfort of my garage all year round in 45-60 minutes. If the salt or dirt build-up is excessive then I pressure wash the exterior, then do the waterless car wash wax. Once in a while (2-3 times a year) I do a complete rinse - wash - rinse - wash mitt - rinse - claybar - rinse - dry - waterless car wash wax. Because detailing can be a bottomless product hole, i'm keeping my exterior product to just that waterless car wash wax which I use for the body and rims, while I use a tire shine spray for the rubber.
Whatever you do, please please please don't run your beautiful car through a normal carwash, nor even a touchless carwash (harsh chemicals have harmed some cars in this forum!), nor let any dealer wash your car unless they guarantee they use a 2 bucket or 3 bucket wash system and exclusively use new/fresh washing and drying microfiber towels for your car.
Good luck deciding what's best for you!
Video showing how PPF can protect your car: https://youtu.be/kUPC1YVa5uk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ppf for front highly recommended. Get full hood, side front fenders and mirror backs. Ceramic coating worth it, but you save $$ doing it yourself with quality consumer applications. Personally, I use CQuartz UK. Watch videos to understand the prep, and it will last years and make washing much easier.

·
Registered
484 Posts
if i had to do it again i would have also gotten ppf on partially of the rear bumper. too easy to scratch taking stuff out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’m also in New England. I put a paint protection film on the front end of all my vehicles to prevent road rash.

I was my vehicles twice a year. I use Mequires products for the most part but sonetines also use Mithers. Been using those products for decades. I clean and condition the leather four times a year.

I contemplated ceramic coating, but my 23 year old GTI VR6 looks like new and I’ve used my current method since it was new so decided to stick with what I know works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts