SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, this has been covered to some degree, but I wanted to get a few folks opinions regarding "normal" maintenance, compared to other brands (perhaps Honda - Toyota), and to gauge when people have "sold" before the repairs got out of control.

Current situation? 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD with 145,000 KM (Canadian eh?). My repairs can be categorized into the following:

Weird: Failed AWD (replaced tranny output / rebuilt DEM), rear wheel bearing (replaced), failed TCV (IPD replacement), new front struts and spring seats, unsolved code that threw a wrench in a 5,000km road trip (ECM-6805 ), "engine reduced performance (after using resume on cruise control), squeaky fan (live with it), burnt out bulbs (haven't tried to fix them all yet), weird noise on start up (only when +38 celcius of hotter).

Regular:
Tires, brakes and rotors (front and back), tranny flush

Upcoming:
T-belt and water pump (next week)

So, my question is....... when is it time to throw in the towel and move on to another brand? Is this "normal" maintenance these days, and is this type of stuff indicative of most cars, or is the benefit of owning two Volvos):mad:?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Own a 2006 2.5T AWD 80,000 miles (128,700 klicks). Only repairs --2 rear wheel bearings--right front wheel bearing=$1300 total cost for repairs. My mechanic said the original rear bearing seals were defective on the early model years for the XC90, but that the rear bearings usually failed under 50,000 miles while still under warranty, and Volvo replaced them for free. Mine lasted to 72,000 miles--lucky me. He also said he had never seen a right front wheel bearing failure. Tires last about 20,000miles--probably going to get about 25,000 miles on my current set of expensive Michelins--with a 45,000mile warranty, Discount Tires will eat some of that. Overall, very happy with the upkeep costs of my '90. Don't know what I would do if I had all of your repairs. I've had one lemon in my life--a Chevy custom van, and I dumped it pretty quickly.

I will probably replace the timing belt (and association items) at 85,000 miles. Currently planning on keeping it to 150,000miles (241,000 Klicks). That should be my only timing belt replacement. Plans can change though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
So, my question is....... when is it time to throw in the towel and move on to another brand? Is this "normal" maintenance these days, and is this type of stuff indicative of most cars, or is the benefit of owning two Volvos):mad:?
When the average monthly cost of maintenance is about half the cost of a new car payment or your car is in the shop more than once every 6 months or so, and thus is unreliable.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,291 Posts
Over the years, this has been covered to some degree, but I wanted to get a few folks opinions regarding "normal" maintenance, compared to other brands (perhaps Honda - Toyota), and to gauge when people have "sold" before the repairs got out of control.

Current situation? 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD with 145,000 KM (Canadian eh?). My repairs can be categorized into the following:

Weird: Failed AWD (replaced tranny output / rebuilt DEM), rear wheel bearing (replaced), failed TCV (IPD replacement), new front struts and spring seats, unsolved code that threw a wrench in a 5,000km road trip (ECM-6805 ), "engine reduced performance (after using resume on cruise control), squeaky fan (live with it), burnt out bulbs (haven't tried to fix them all yet), weird noise on start up (only when +38 celcius of hotter).

Regular:
Tires, brakes and rotors (front and back), tranny flush

Upcoming:
T-belt and water pump (next week)

Mostly normal if your XC90 is an early build.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,291 Posts
So, is it fair to say this is it for the "normal" stuff? (i.e. I can stop spending $$$)?
Its a luxury European vehicle that's out of warranty. You will never stop spending money on it.

Next thing probably would be a complete suspension overhaul/refresh. I did this (fronts only) at 150k two months ago on my 03 XC70. Doing the rears in December. Car will have approx 160k by then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a low mileage 2006 XC90 2.5T. By low I mean just over 40k miles in over 6 years. I haven't had any major repairs yet, new tires at about 35k, new battery this summer, regular oil service as prescribed, using only Mobil 1. I had a wheel bolt break off while at the dealer, so they replaced it. Had to put on a new rotor to fix this. My washer fluid pump gunked up, I think they just flushed it out. That's pretty much about it so far, so pretty good for a 6 year old car.

I'm debating to keep it longer or trade it in for a new diesel (such as the X5D or ML350, Q7TDI, etc...). Doesn't look like Volvo will ever bring a diesel to US.

I got it priced at Carmax, all of $11.5k. Probably worth just keeping it till it dies of old age. At the rate we drive it it will reach 100k at about 20 years!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have a low mileage 2006 XC90 2.5T. By low I mean just over 40k miles in over 6 years. I haven't had any major repairs yet, new tires at about 35k, new battery this summer, regular oil service as prescribed, using only Mobil 1. I had a wheel bolt break off while at the dealer, so they replaced it. Had to put on a new rotor to fix this. My washer fluid pump gunked up, I think they just flushed it out. That's pretty much about it so far, so pretty good for a 6 year old car.
Definite jump in user satisfaction starting at the MY 2006 XC90--that is according to Edmunds, AOL.com, and Yahoo Cars user reviews--especially on the 2.5T.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We have a late 2005, has been very reliable now at 70K. Bevel gear leaks a little, so i just at a few table spoons of fluid at oil changes. It
will keep going a long time just by keeping it full. Other than that just front brakes and tires.

A few windshields too, rocks seem attracted to it.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,291 Posts

I'm debating to keep it longer or trade it in for a new diesel (such as the X5D or ML350, Q7TDI, etc...). Doesn't look like Volvo will ever bring a diesel to US.

I got it priced at Carmax, all of $11.5k. Probably worth just keeping it till it dies of old age. At the rate we drive it it will reach 100k at about 20 years!
2006's are the best of the bunch. Keep it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

about a year and a half ago with 70k we were offered 15.5 on a trade for an equinox. I was getting supplier price plus incentives, and had not started to negotiate when she who must be obeyed said she wanted to keep the volvo. 11.5 is an insult for the mileage. i assume it is fwd if in south florida. for 11.5k drive it till it rusts itself into oblivion take the $$ you would have spent on the new car and spend it on booze and broads, or send it to me to spend on broads (wife & kid) ;) .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep it!

about a year and a half ago with 70k we were offered 15.5 on a trade for an equinox. I was getting supplier price plus incentives, and had not started to negotiate when she who must be obeyed said she wanted to keep the volvo. 11.5 is an insult for the mileage. i assume it is fwd if in south florida. for 11.5k drive it till it rusts itself into oblivion take the $$ you would have spent on the new car and spend it on booze and broads, or send it to me to spend on broads (wife & kid) ;) .
Haha. I'm pretty fond of the old Volvo but wife is wanting something with a bit more bling. I'm trying to convince her to hold on just a bit longer.

We're looking at the MB ML and GL 350 Bluetec. Very nice. Very expensive. Again, too bad Volvo isn't doing the Diesel thing. I bet they would produce a winner.:thumbup:

Nobody has the trunk space like an XC90 in this category of X-Over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts