SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any opinons on either one of those oil filters. i finished all my Volvo ones this weekend. I've heard neg. things about Mann oil filters, me thinks.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I'm curious what kind of negative reviews. I've used both many times with no issue. I like that they don't have the felt ring around the center hole like many others do. It just seems like felt fibers might get loose in the system.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Personally, I always use only Original Volvo filters. For the little difference on price, why take a chance on quality of filtration.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mobil 1, my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what I've heard

I'm curious what kind of negative reviews. I've used both many times with no issue. I like that they don't have the felt ring around the center hole like many others do. It just seems like felt fibers might get loose in the system.
Just from what I been reading - Mahle supplies Volvo and Mann would be a 2nd choice for OEM. No real negative reviews just speculation maybe.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
no problems for me using mann oil and air filters over the last 7 years of c70 ownership and maintenance doing my own changes.

what problems have you read about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
Same here, many many years of Mann filters and included O-ring gaskets with a 7500-mile interval (OK sometimes 8000...) and absolutely no issues. I've used full synthetic (mostly Mobil 1 but Castrol once or twice). I've also used Mann engine air filters as well and no issues (if I recall they looked identical to the Volvo OEM). I would not hesitate to use Mann filters again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Confirmed the Mann filter is absolutely identical to the Volvo, apart from the color of the box and the Volvo stamp on the filter - I've been using Mann's on my C70 and S60 apart from one time I forgot to order in time and so bought a blue box at the dealership one Saturday morning - absolutely no issues that could be attributed to oil filter on either car

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
+1.
I ordered my 10 Mann filters from FCPEuro this morning, with crush washers and o-rings. With 3 P2s in the fleet, they go pretty quickly...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody got any opinons on either one of those oil filters. i finished all my Volvo ones this weekend. I've heard neg. things about Mann oil filters, me thinks.
Thanks
Ok there is a link on the forum: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?112718-Oil-Filter-Shootout
The thread sometimes is hilarious and serious- makes for good reading and there are results by a member who tested many filters and had results;
Read #34,#40, and the results on #47. He talks about # of pleats and spacing. Anyway - pretty much Mahle or Mann seems to be the suppliers and Volvo chooses on the supply available. I'm going for Mahle. Whatever!
But oil filters are serious business-not like an air filter-as we all know. I have my Vanagon since 1987 and always install Mann filters in it and all is well. I also had a BMW 2002 for 34 years and only used BMW filters. Go figure!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why on earth is this even something being discussed?

Let’s put it to rest... shall we? There are more relevant topics to discuss.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It’s like discussing which type of toilette paper to use..................we all have our favorites.

Anyone discussing on 10,20,30,100,000 mile oil changes is a numpty. Those notions are as bright as life time tranny fluid. HA.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Speaking of pleats.....we might as well discuss the number of pleats in my kilt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Who let this C30 guy in here anyway!? :OT: :D Go back and play with the teen agers! :cool:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you decide which filter you’re going with?

·
Registered
296 Posts
This c30 guy spent more on his motor than you have on all three of your Volvo’s. I was simply making light of the discussion about the number of pleats in an oil filter. Seems trivial is all. Pick a good high quality name brand filter that is correct for your vehicle and you’ll be fine. Change the oil at regular intervals if you plan on owning the vehicle for any length of time. I would also change it more often if driven hard or if used for towing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This c30 guy spent more on his motor than you have on all three of your Volvo’s. I was simply making light of the discussion about the number of pleats in an oil filter. Seems trivial is all. Pick a good high quality name brand filter that is correct for your vehicle and you’ll be fine. Change the oil at regular intervals if you plan on owning the vehicle for any length of time. I would also change it more often if driven hard or if used for towing.

Now don't get too sensitive..;) I was just teasing back at you.. BTW.. Ya got me on Volvo motor time, but I'll match you otherwise.. My first vehicle was a 1959 VW, purchased NEW.. If you'd like I'll list the sequence from there, including '55, '57 small block Chevy V8s to my '59 Mercedes 220 S.. and more.. :saber: Mine's Bigger than Yours!

·
Registered
296 Posts
You’d have to lift me kilt to know for sure.....
My weekend driver.....

IMG_3297.mov

Small block....

When you said teenagers I started to break out in a rash and my brain went fuzzy...

·
Registered
296 Posts
My brother and I run a small block camaro on the strip. Pm me you email I’ll send you a vid a run.

It’s a N/T 1500+ hp ride

Small blocks are nice. Don’t want you to think we’re getting off on the wrong foot.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Small block Chevy's are great. They were a dime a dozen and you could stuff them in almost anything. My best friend had a 350 in a Chevy Luv (Isuzu) pick-up truck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts