SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would post a few pictures of my XC90 after KC Detailing did an application of Opticoat Pro Plus. According to the detailer, the gloss enhancer continues to cure for a few weeks increasing gloss during this period. I am impressed with what I see so far. This picture was taken shortly after washing the car using the Opticoat No-Rinse product, which was the easiest car wash I have ever done...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats. Your car looks amazing. I also had opticoat applied to my XC90 as well. I am really happy with it as well. I need to try this no-rinse product. I have been washing the car myself but it's a lot of work. I am looking for the easiest way to keep it clean on a regular basis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Absolutely stunning! Beautiful color and the opticoat really enhances it's look overall. The shoulder transition between the hood and fender takes on an almost indigo color and it looks amazing! Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
674 Posts
Looks awesome! That blue color really comes to life in the sun.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Just curious....how did you dry it after it was washed? How much time was spent both washing and drying???
Looks terrific!!! Are you a KC Royals fan???

Amber interior???? Nice.....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Looks great. The blue is a beautiful colour. We saw this in the showroom -- looks amazing paired with the Amber or Blond interior.

And interestingly, while I've seen a lot of posters saying they prefer the look of the black Momentum+ grille to the Chrome inscription grille, against this blue, the chrome looks really nice.

I thought I would post a few pictures of my XC90 after KC Detailing did an application of Opticoat Pro Plus. According to the detailer, the gloss enhancer continues to cure for a few weeks increasing gloss during this period. I am impressed with what I see so far. This picture was taken shortly after washing the car using the Opticoat No-Rinse product, which was the easiest car wash I have ever done...
What does that mean if it's still curing for a few weeks -- there's no issues washing it / having the car out in the rain before it's cured?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious....how did you dry it after it was washed? How much time was spent both washing and drying???
Looks terrific!!! Are you a KC Royals fan???

Amber interior???? Nice.....
With the No Rinse solution you wipe the car with a wet sponge or wash mitt, and then wipe dry with a microfiber towel. It took one hour, start to finish.

Go Royals! W tonight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does that mean if it's still curing for a few weeks -- there's no issues washing it / having the car out in the rain before it's cured?
When you first pick up the car, it is still curing. If you were to wipe it, let's say with a California car care duster, it would scratch. I waited a week with no wiping of the car, and then rinsed it down and washed it.

Rain won't hurt it, but wiping it with anything abrasive would.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looks fantastic! I'm planning to take my car right from the dealer to the detail shop to have the Opticoat Pro Plus applied. It will painful to wait another few days, but worth it in the end I think, particularly with a dark color. I have asked the dealer to leave the wrap on the car and not to prep the exterior at all.

I have one question about upkeep after the Opticoat is applied. I keep the car garaged, but live in an urban area. The combination of space logistics and my schedule make it tough to be able to hand wash via the recommended 2 bucket method. How resilient is the Opticoat to car washes? Is there any kind of wash I should seek out (e.g. touchless)? My dealer will actually wash the car for free if I stop by their service department, however I have no idea what kind of technology their wash uses. I'd like to say I will baby the car and always hand wash, but I'd be lying.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have one question about upkeep after the Opticoat is applied. I keep the car garaged, but live in an urban area. The combination of space logistics and my schedule make it tough to be able to hand wash via the recommended 2 bucket method. How resilient is the Opticoat to car washes? Is there any kind of wash I should seek out (e.g. touchless)? My dealer will actually wash the car for free if I stop by their service department, however I have no idea what kind of technology their wash uses. I'd like to say I will baby the car and always hand wash, but I'd be lying.
I would stick to brushless / touchless if you can. My understanding is going through a car wash with brushes invalidates the 5 year warranty.
Theoretically it should hold up better than a standard finish, but I don't want to test it....

BTW, my dealer delivered the car to me unprepared on exterior as well. I had the detailer remove the wheels and polish and Opticoat them as well. It added to the cost ($250), but in my experience the wheels are the hardest thing to keep clean. I thought the hydrophobic characteristics of the Opticoat might be a meaningful advantage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Fmfosnacht,
Do you happen to have more pictures of the car? How's the ownership experience so far?

After seeing the pictures of your car I ordered one that is almost exactly like that (sorry, I couldn't help it).

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Looks fantastic! I'm planning to take my car right from the dealer to the detail shop to have the Opticoat Pro Plus applied. It will painful to wait another few days, but worth it in the end I think, particularly with a dark color. I have asked the dealer to leave the wrap on the car and not to prep the exterior at all.

Opticoat is really not any more resistant to swirl marks or scratches than clear coat. Its just an added layer of protection, meaning a light scratch will be in the opticoat, not the clear coat and certainly not the paint. But you can absolutely swirl it. Automatic car washes will put swirl marks on anything, thats just how they work. I'm also wary of "brushless" washes that have giant dirty felt things instead. Anything automatic (or non-trustworthy human powered) that physically touches the car has the potential to leave marks. Fully automatic, laser guided touch free washes are ok in my opinion- the kind where only soap and water actually touch the car and they have a giant blow dryer you drive through. They're not useful for cleaning it perfectly but they are safe at least and good for routine road grime.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Absolutely wonderful looking. Well done. :thumbup: Hmmmm, I may have to trade in my 2-week old XC90 T6 having seen this..... :eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interesting indeed...stunning...seems to deepen the hue of the blue...how much does this treatment cost $....
Ill be getting my T8 in Magic in few weeks....

·
Registered
33 Posts
WOW !! Looks stunning ! This is my favorite color and it looks even better. I am looking for the same car with charcoal interior. Believe it or not, in Southern California, not a single dealership has this color with Magic Blue and charcoal interior. I am told that since we live in the sunny state the only option available is blond interior, which doesn't work for me as I have a 3 yr old.

Congrats again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts