·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the diameter of our OEM MAF ?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Right around 3" I have 3" IC pipe connected directly to the MAF.

Best shot I can find of it.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Yup should be 3"

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right around 3" I have 3" IC pipe connected directly to the MAF.

Best shot I can find of it.

thanks dude i was just looking around and wondering if i can change the maf too a Audi A8 maf for more airflow Lol but they all seem too be 3 inchs ? I noticed your mods you dont have any tc or dtc how did you do that do u have a write up ?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
While you could technically make the Audi MAF work, the flow curves would not match. At best you would have the same slope vs flow with a different offset. At worst you would have a different slope and the ECU could not compensate with its wide band and you would end up with knock and mushy pistons or a cracked sleeve. On the other end it just may foul the plugs.

Regarding my car. It is a unicorn. One over a VERY few that did not come with any traction control or stability control... The only feature it has is the Haldex for torque transfer. Now I am running the engine with aftermarket engine management so, while I do have a CEL, the MS3 could care less when im in a slide. Funny thing is the stock ECU seems to proportion torque to the rear wheels just fine. I love it when it rains ;)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
While you could technically make the Audi MAF work, the flow curves would not match. At best you would have the same slope vs flow with a different offset. At worst you would have a different slope and the ECU could not compensate with its wide band and you would end up with knock and mushy pistons or a cracked sleeve. On the other end it just may foul the plugs.

Regarding my car. It is a unicorn. One over a VERY few that did not come with any traction control or stability control... The only feature it has is the Haldex for torque transfer. Now I am running the engine with aftermarket engine management so, while I do have a CEL, the MS3 could care less when im in a slide. Funny thing is the stock ECU seems to proportion torque to the rear wheels just fine. I love it when it rains ;)
What are you using for after market engine management and what's your experience been like with mega squirt ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea am sticking with the oem maf XD

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What are you using for after market engine management and what's your experience been like with mega squirt ?

I am using a combination of software and hardware. For tuning TunerStudio MS, For logging Megalog viewer and Logworks3 along with Hantek1008 software for some sensor recording and peak capture. Also, I used Torque Pro to log and derive my base maps including ignition timing, AFR, cam phase angle. I esentially was able to reverse engineer the stock ECU maps by logging OBDII parameters over many drive cycles.

I love Megasquirt. I have tuned everything from PRS-XXXX through haltech, hondata and more. Even with all that TunerStudio is still my favorite after all these years. MS3/MSEXTRA can be confusing but the firmware has the flexibility to handle some unusual stuff. In the case of the volvo, five cylinders with correct knock response and controlling two cam phasors both on their own PID loops. Good stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts