SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to make this fun, once the CEL issue is resolved I'll paypal $10 to the person who responds first with the solution, my way of covering a decent six pack for some help....:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

2006 SR with 69k on the clock...nothing in the ignition or any sensors have been replaced, all original. Had the LDP replaced a couple years ago.

EST exhaust installed and running on stock airbox = no issues.

Installed Evolve AMS about 6 months ago and within a day of driving around town stored the "MAF reading too low" CEL. Drove for a few days and it cleared itself. Weeks later, another occurrence, continued driving, eventually cleared itself. Cycle continued and I eventually cleaned the MAF and carefully reinstalled AMS making sure of no air leaks. No change, stored again and eventually wouldn't clear. Cleared at Autozone. Reinstalled AMS, re-cleaned MAF and used some sealant to make sure of no air leaks. CEL returns. Once upon a time the car had a RICA tune. I figure maybe restoring tune will resolve problem. Turns out PPC is obsolete so I bought iSoftloader from EST for a $100 "retune" fee and sync up tune with the newer version of ECM SW that was on car (thanks Frank, you're awesome). No change, CEL returns but at least now I can reset it on my own! Bought used MAF from another SS member figuring maybe MAF is bad. Installed and didn't help.

Removed AMS today, mated filter directly to MAF inlet (no way for air to leak), let sit w/battery disconnected for 20min, test drive and CEL returns within 2 miles. Over the past 1-2 months the idle on start-up is getting rougher, CEL frequency also increasing. Used to only store CEL as I crested a hill and would take foot off of accelerator (so much so that I could predict it on a particular road nearby). Now will store CEL without any particular throttle input.

Haven't ohm'd out either MAF yet what should they read?
Haven't attempted to restore stock tune, problem existed before tune though.
Found PCV tube adjacent to oil fill cap broke free with 1/2" gap - maybe explains rough idle?

Ready to replace plugs today probably will wait until new PCV tube shows up. How to inspect coils?

Car boosts and holds at 18-19psi on my IPD R gage.

Do I go for cleaning the ETM (throttle body)?

Ohm out the throttle position sensor? If so, what is it supposed to read?

Other thoughts would be the Fuel Pressure Sensor, seems like I'm at correct mileage for that to fail, would that cause rough ide? Perhaps checkout injectors or check fuel rail pressure?

Thanks a ton for your experience, gut feel or "you need to do X".

Unfortunately, no DICE or computer with VADIS installed. Could try to install VADIS but mine is a very old version that doesn't like Win7.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Are you 100% sure that the MAF you bought from the SS member is not bad, how many miles on it ?

I'am asking because i had troubles like you are describing, rough idle and surging.

Here is what you need to do first, when you first start your car in the morning with a good MAF it should climb up the RPM's up to 2k to get the catalyzer up to temp as fast as possible to reduce emissions, mine wouldn't do the warm up and was dropping to normal 700 rpm instantly after the start.

Next thing you need to do is to try to unplug the MAF and go drive the car a bit, if the rough idle disapears then this is likely your problem, it's always possible for a maf to be bad at some point even if the SS member stated it as working, might have gotten damaged during shipping who knows.

I bought a maf alternative from ebay suggested by other members, kia hyundai bosch maf, check my thread last page to see the part.

Once i installed the maf alternative i resetted the ecu and the CEL never came back and the car was doing the proper 2k rpm warm up.

I know you already checked for leaks by recheck again every hose going into the intake etc, make sure every clamp on all hoses are tight, smoke test machine would be a much easier way to check for leaks and leaks can cause maf cels.

You also want to check out if your PCV system is good, try to do the glove test and see if it gets sucked in by the oil filler

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you 100% sure that the MAF you bought from the SS member is not bad, how many miles on it ?
- Nope....not sure, I think it had 80k on it, wonder if I can measure that with a DVOM?

I'am asking because i had troubles like you are describing, rough idle and surging.
- I forgot to mention surging right at 2k RPM while driving, but nothing above or below.

mine wouldn't do the warm up and was dropping to normal 700 rpm instantly after the start.
- if I recall correctly, mine usually warms up fine and then is rough when it idles down

...unplug the MAF and go drive the car a bit, if the rough idle disapears then this is likely your problem
Never noticed rough idle beyond my garage/driveway or much after leaving my parking spot after work, normal sitting at stop lights is smooth

You also want to check out if your PCV system is good, try to do the glove test and see if it gets sucked in by the oil filler
-glove sucked in....

Going to re-inspect intake lines now....

Also, is your (my) money on a bad MAF, intake leak, PCV problem or a specific combination?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My guess is that the cracked PCV hose is letting in unmetered air at idle and is causing your rough idle. However, don't be surprised if fixing the PCV leak fixes the idle and then you end up getting the low MAF code again due to the Evolve AMS.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you checked your vacuum lines? The line which goes to the intake manifold on mine had a split in it which caused a rough idle and a CEL.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked all lines going into intake and they look secure, not saying a vacuum line crack couldn't get missed (but it does pull good vacuum when idling.

Went to Autozone - shows the P0101 still but also shows P0170 for Fuel Trim (Bank 1)....whatever that means....

Going to see if anyone other than dealership has the PCV tube and maybe not order and wait for FCP or Tasca.

Super interested to check the Evolve AMS thread link above tho!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just replaced the PCV pipe going from the Cam Cover to the breather box, its $30 from your local dealer, Not too bad, cheapest Ive found it was for $23 online

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for the record....I did attempt a search some time ago on this.....not sure how I went wrong, but thanks to soupsandspoons I'm clearly a one-time active swedespeeder turned noob again.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bet it's that AMS throw the stock filter/box in anx see what happens

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I bet it's that AMS throw the stock filter/box in anx see what happens
My thoughts, but he said he removed it:

Removed AMS today, mated filter directly to MAF inlet (no way for air to leak), let sit w/battery disconnected for 20min, test drive and CEL returns within 2 miles. Over the past 1-2 months the idle on start-up is getting rougher, CEL frequency also increasing. Used to only store CEL as I crested a hill and would take foot off of accelerator (so much so that I could predict it on a particular road nearby). Now will store CEL without any particular throttle input.
But then again, the stock filter requires the airbox to hold it to the MAF.

So is it the AMS's filter strapped directly onto the MAF?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup, it is the AMS filter direct to the MAF and still throwing a code.

after reading all those threads on the problem (sheesh my search skills were terrible) what jumps out at me is this:

I ran the tune+AMS+exhaust for 3yrs with NEVER a CEL before the transmission was replaced and the ECM was updated.

So when some in soupsandspoons links stated that they never had the problem, while others stated they immediately had CEL, here is a car that with only the trans and factory SW changed all of a sudden can't tolerate the AMS.

So yes, stock air box going back in tonight. I'll test it that way before messing with the PCV tube to try and isolate it.

FWIW, dealer told me about minor crack forming in PCV tube 4yrs back, never caused issues and I had forgotten about it until today when I saw it completely detached.

Will post up results on stock box shortly.....

Thanks again....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just replaced the PCV pipe going from the Cam Cover to the breather box, its $30 from your local dealer, Not too bad, cheapest Ive found it was for $23 online
Cool....happen to have the P/N? For $7 I'll splurge and not wait...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so I'm lazy and just threw the stock cylinder filter in, no airbox.

quick run to the corner to pickup dinner

still rough idle for a bit, smoothes out though after 15 seconds, before I even put it in gear, sits right at 700rpm and rock solid after initial bouncing up and down on vac gage (tach doesn't respond fast enough to display the bouncing).

while driving with stock filter, seems to be MUCH. MUCH, MUCH smoother throttle response and car seems to run better in general

more driving to come this evening with this setup

all of a sudden I'm thinking, perhaps prematurely, that the issue is the oval-conical filter shape...clearly promotes turbulence once inside the filter

if the stocker runs with no CEL for 5-10 miles then we are hot on the trail

I'll put the stock filter on the 90-degree tube from the AMS to isolate tube or cone filter element as the problem

not much better filter shape for laminar flow than that cylinder I'd bet....maybe Volvo engineers considered this somewhere along the way in development!!

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
After all the stories I've seen here about aftermarket air management and filter systems not working right it makes me so glad I took the route of modifying my factory airbox instead of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just drove 20+ normal miles on stock filter clamped directly to MAF and let car idle for 10mins, no CEL!

decided to try and make it throw a CEL, ran in Advanced and did some quick acceleration up to 80-ish, let off throttle quick, etc... NO CEL! (however, car DEFINITELY accelerates slower - but that could just be the super old/dirty stock element)

after clearing the code almost daily for a long time, to drive this long with no CEL is a certain diagnosis - $10 to soupsandspoons for some Molson Brador's or XXXs (PM me your Paypal dude, I'll go check and see if I have it in my history from way back....maybe you bought a part from me a long, long time ago when I parted out my first caR).

still going to fault isolate this to either the filter shape AND the tube, or just the filter shape. Thinking I could always run a cylindrical filter element inside the Evolve box, presuming it will fit

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
$10 to soupsandspoons for some Molson Brador's or XXXs (PM me your Paypal dude, I'll go check and see if I have it in my history from way back....maybe you bought a part from me a long, long time ago when I parted out my first caR).
Thanks for the offer, but it wouldn't feel right accepting your money.

I'm always happy to pass along info to help out a fellow forum member, particularly after all of the great help that I've received from other forum members over the years.

Cheers,

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts