SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three months ago I leased an XC60 T5 Inscription and was pretty surprised and disappointed to hear that it was made in China.
Has this affected the car’s reliability, finish, etc compared when it was not produced there?
I have a pretty rough engine when idling that once I described as a “good diesel” engine, very noisy HVAC system and very noisy power lift gate.
We’re XC60 always like that? For a luxury car that costs so much, I am pretty dissatisfied with the above 3 things.
Coming from Lexus and Acura were those 3 things are non existent, is tough.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Volvo is owned by a Chinese company called Geely. They are going to make sure (as a matter of pride) that the assembly will match or be better than what the other factories build. China has huge industrial capabilities and a skilled workeforce. IMHO, people generally assume China= Low quality, and they couldn’t be more wrong.

My China built 2019 T8 has a better build quality than my 2010 XC60 that was built in Ghent.

Did you discuss these 3 items with your service advisor?

Reactions: Op911 and EricJRW

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
...pretty surprised and disappointed to hear that it was made in China.
Could you shed some more light on exactly what about the Vehicle being made in China do you find disappointing and surprising? Just curious to know!

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Could you shed some more light on exactly what about the Vehicle being made in China do you find disappointing and surprising? Just curious to know!
This?
a “good diesel” engine, very noisy HVAC system and very noisy power lift gate.?
HVAC is not noisy. I usually set level to 3 and it is quiet and efficient. Level 4 and 5 are loud of course, expected.
power lift gate makes some normal sound (in a good way as you could stand there not noticing it), but not noisy to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem with A/C.. Speed 1 is fine, but it maxes out at speed 3 with maximum air flow. Setting speed 4 or 5 does not change the blower speed at all. I wish that there were more adjustments available because sometimes speed 2 is not enough, but speed 3 is overpowering.

I also have an issue when idling ICE (I own a T8, so obviously no problem when ICE is off).. there is a definite vibration felt throughout the car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a 2017 xc90 and I can tell you that even though this model was built in Sweden, the reliability has been the absolute worst. I think the issue is a Volvo issue not a matter of where it's being built. I have never owned a car this unreliable in my life...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I have the same problem with A/C.. Speed 1 is fine, but it maxes out at speed 3 with maximum air flow. Setting speed 4 or 5 does not change the blower speed at all. I wish that there were more adjustments available because sometimes speed 2 is not enough, but speed 3 is overpowering.

I also have an issue when idling ICE (I own a T8, so obviously no problem when ICE is off).. there is a definite vibration felt throughout the car.
Make sure you are using manual mode. The auto mode is slight differently as it tops at the speed you set.
I don't feel 3 is noisy at all. 4 and 5 is very different.
Try change the vent to both chest and foot also let you feel the difference.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was just in my workplace parking lot with a co worker who has a Lexus RX and her power liftgate was louder than my XC60. We had what i would describe as a liftoff :partywave:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have a pretty rough engine when idling that once I described as a “good diesel” engine
This is clearly your first DI engine. They're all "diesel like". This isn't specific to Volvo.

very noisy HVAC system
Turn the fan down to a normal level.

very noisy power lift gate.
First noise complaint I've ever read about a motorized tailgate.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Three months ago I leased an XC60 T5 Inscription and was pretty surprised and disappointed to hear that it was made in China.
Has this affected the car’s reliability, finish, etc compared when it was not produced there?
I have a pretty rough engine when idling that once I described as a “good diesel” engine, very noisy HVAC system and very noisy power lift gate.
We’re XC60 always like that? For a luxury car that costs so much, I am pretty dissatisfied with the above 3 things.

My 2018, Made in Sweden OSD XC60 also sounds like a diesel in low speed travel. When I give it some gas the engine shutters as if it is in too high a gear. Usually seconds later it downshifts and all is fine. My neighbors have asked me before if it is in fact a diesel. While my ac fans are quiet the ac shutter actuators constantly make noise. I'm guessing it needs a software update at my next service. My power tailgate is no noisier than any of our past Volvos with a power tailgate. The ride in my XC60 is rougher than the ride of our 19 XC40 which was made in Belgium. I'm looking into new tires possibly for next spring. Have had rotors warp at 6800 miles (and on the XC40 at 3600 miles). All of this has no bearing on where the car(s) are being built. These are Volvo quirks that will probably continue even when the XC90 is built in SC. And it’s my opinion the price of a car has no bearing on actual quality/reliability. You pay more you typically expect more.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
This?

HVAC is not noisy. I usually set level to 3 and it is quiet and efficient. Level 4 and 5 are loud of course, expected.
power lift gate makes some normal sound (in a good way as you could stand there not noticing it), but not noisy to me.
I fail to see how any of those issues are related to a Vehicle being built in China! Or for that matter any particular plant in any particular country.
Are these issues? Yes.
Does it signal towards the vehicle's reliability? Maybe.
Does the Vehicle have these issues BECAUSE it is assembled in China (as OPs post is suggesting)? Are you being serious right now?!

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I fail to see how any of those issues are related to a Vehicle being built in China! Or for that matter any particular plant in any particular country.
Are these issues? Yes.
Does it signal towards the vehicle's reliability? Maybe.
Does the Vehicle have these issues BECAUSE it is assembled in China (as OPs post is suggesting)? Are you being serious right now?!
Yeh, these kind of things (if issues at all) is not related to China factory. I am just looking at the concerns, not the factory.

There is no report of known issues specific to China factory.

Reactions: lflorack

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine was built in Sweden and I admit that I liked that idea when I purchased it. However, if you look at the window sticker, it notes that there is 40% Chinese content. Most of the parts are built in China. Does it really matter where it was assembled?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Madw in China car reliability

My 2018 XC60 was one of the first to be assembled in China. I was concerned upon learning this but must say that the quality/workmanship has been at least equal to previous Volvo's assembled in Europe (most recent was a 2015.5 XC60). Like all of my 6 previous Volvos, I have never had any serious quality issues regardless of location where assembly was done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Volvo is owned by a Chinese company called Geely. They are going to make sure (as a matter of pride) that the assembly will match or be better than what the other factories build. China has huge industrial capabilities and a skilled workeforce. IMHO, people generally assume China= Low quality, and they couldn’t be more wrong.

My China built 2019 T8 has a better build quality than my 2010 XC60 that was built in Ghent.

Did you discuss these 3 items with your service advisor?
Chinqa is certainly perceived in many cases with cheap mass manufacturing processes.
Most manufacturers of consumer electronics, toys, building materials, etc etc manufacture in China because they have cheap labor, a great supply chain and lax environmental laws.
Glad to hear that your Chinese made car is more reliable than the one made in Sweden.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Surprising because I thought Volvos were made in Sweden even after the Chinese acquisition.
Disappointed due to the three issues I mentioned.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Surprising because I thought Volvos were made in Sweden even after the Chinese acquisition.
Disappointed due to the three issues I mentioned.
Some models for the US market ARE built in Sweden, some in the US and some in China

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This?

Mine is silent on level 1, tolerable on 2 and loud beyond that.
The rear passenger HVAC is similar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was just in my workplace parking lot with a co worker who has a Lexus RX and her power liftgate was louder than my XC60. We had what i would describe as a liftoff :partywave:
Surprised to hear that. My wife’s RX was very quiet. My MDX tailgate is whisper quiet.
Maybe next weekend I will measure the decibeles for objective data.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is clearly your first DI engine. They're all "diesel like". This isn't specific to Volvo.

It is indeed.
Perhaps I am spoiled with how smooth the V6 are.

Turn the fan down to a normal level.

I don’t know what normal is to you. The fan in 1 is not enough. In 2 is just moderate. During hot summer days I need 3 at is super loud.

First noise complaint I've ever read about a motorized tailgate.
I will try to post the decibels level of my XC60 vs the MDX.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.