SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed 18" pegs with new tires before I went on vacation a couple weeks ago. The shop that installed them said they balanced great. With that, it felt like my vibe problems stopped. Today driving to and from work (most noticeably coming home) I have an annoying vibration above 55mph. It doesn't really seem to be increasing or decreasing with speed as far as frequency, and with the clutch pushed in at speed it it still there.

I have read about front CV axles and the driveshaft causing vibes. Is there a way to test or rectify them without shotgunning new parts?
I had to put the passenger CV back together when I redid the front suspension, is there a chance I didn't get enough grease in the boot? Is that a thing?
Is there any kind of suspension geometry that could cause vibrations if excessively loose?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Did you put the entire bag of grease that came with the joint kit in the joint? If so then yes, it should have enough lube, if not then no.

Did you put all the lube in the boot, or did you put some in the joint as well before putting it back in the car?

Did the car have a similar vibration before the new tires?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas, so far!

They are stock Volvo wheels.
I don't think I have a whole bag of grease in there, what kind is it (so I can source it locally, and squeeze more in)? I know I put as much in around the joint as I could, then put the rest in the boot.
The 17's had a similar vibration.
I'll check for a loose wheel right now...

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, so far!

They are stock Volvo wheels.
I don't think I have a whole bag of grease in there, what kind is it (so I can source it locally, and squeeze more in)? I know I put as much in around the joint as I could, then put the rest in the boot.
The 17's had a similar vibration.
I'll check for a loose wheel right now...
I would think if you had a similar vibration on 17's, then the wheels themselves are likely not to blame (assuming the vibrations are truly the same).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have the same thing going on... :(

Although, I have some angle gear/collar sleeve work coming up, so I'm waiting to do anything until that's sorted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so on the way to work today, I didn't have much more vibration than a slightly off balance wheel. On the way home I didn't have really any vibration until I hit my brakes kind of hard on the high way. The car shook from what felt like the left front and tried to dive right. After that, I started experiencing vibes again, but not nearly as bad as before.

Something I have noticed though, is that the roads are **** in Alaska and are horribly double crowned. They are basically like driving in a W where the two low points are the ruts of common travel. If I get out of the ruts, the car seems to behave a lot better. Could this just be the 18" rims+tough (and low pro) sidewall tires+lowered and tighter suspension+me needing to fix the rear suspension sensors for the lowering springs?

The brake pads are new, but I don't think the rotors are. (per previous owner last Nov.).

I got the car home, and it looks like I may have shed one of my front left wheel weights. I swapped the Left front and right rear wheels to see. I put a wrench on every bolt I touched when I redid the front suspension, but everything seems way tight. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the front left had a thrown weight. The drive to work was magical, and smooth. Heavy braking didn't yield all the drama frim yesterday. I'll get a rebalance and go from there. Are these rotors apt to warpage? If so are there some aftermarket ones that are less likely?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Looks like the front left had a thrown weight. The drive to work was magical, and smooth. Heavy braking didn't yield all the drama frim yesterday. I'll get a rebalance and go from there. Are these rotors apt to warpage? If so are there some aftermarket ones that are less likely?
Not really, at least I haven't heard of it occurring on this car. The stock brakes on the R are pretty fantastic in my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts