SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 06 VR GT (TF-80SC AWD, 6spd) and am considering an M66 swap. Can I use my stock angle gear with an M66 if I purchase the M66 Collar Sleeve? What concerns me is that the passenger side drive axle assembly is transmission specific, which drives me to believe that the angle gears and specific to 06 / 07 GT and M66.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thought on why the axles are different?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I need to look closer, but I don't see how the drivers side driveshaft can pass all the way through the AG to engage with the collar sleeve on the other side.

Not questioning your answer Stealthy, just trying to visualize it. I've got a line on an M66 setup and I'm excited to pull the trigger, just trying to understand all the costs. I'm clearly in for both driveshafts, but an AG as well may make it untenable.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The drivers side shaft obviously doesn't pass through the AG, I'm talking about the right front shaft. Both shafts plug into the transmission which is why auto and manual are not the same. AG doesn't connect to the axle, it just passes through.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I guess I need to look closer, but I don't see how the drivers side driveshaft can pass all the way through the AG to engage with the collar sleeve on the other side.

Not questioning your answer Stealthy, just trying to visualize it. I've got a line on an M66 setup and I'm excited to pull the trigger, just trying to understand all the costs. I'm clearly in for both driveshafts, but an AG as well may make it untenable.
It's pretty wacky. My understanding of it is that we use a hollow collar gear to transmit power from the trans to the angle gear because the whole PS front driveshaft passes through the collar gear to the front diff. Concentric shafts, essentially.

The center part of the exposed gear there is so girthy (ha, girthy) because it's hollow: the angle gear connects to the collar gear on the left side, but the PS axle passes right through both from the right side on the way to the trans.

Because of internal differences in the transmissions between manual/auto, the axles are slightly different at the trans side, and the collar gears are also slightly different at the trans side. By the time both make it to the angle gear, though, they're the same.

If you think two concentric shafts is wacky, you should look at a Rolls-Royce Trent turbofan...

·
Registered
899 Posts
The whole concentric shaft thing is also why the AWD axles neck down considerably, compared to the FWD axles: they have to pass through the hollow angle gear shaft and hollow collar gear. Consider, AWD versus FWD axles:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts