SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has a copy of VIDA able to look up to see if there's any parts or service breakdowns for our 6 speed manual gearboxes?

As you can see I had a bearing fail in which would intermittently lockup my drivetrain and sounded like marbles when idling.

Luckily everything else looks good, but need to track down some info as to whether I can rebuild this unit with a simple bearing replacement.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Anyone that has a copy of VIDA able to look up to see if there's any parts or service breakdowns for our 6 speed manual gearboxes?
Volvo doesn't list any internals for the M66, just a complete exchange part. But I'm sure you can service that bearing - assuming you can find the part. Any chance of a wrecking yard instead?

I assume you're referring to the part at the very rear of the shot, with the 3 or 4 missing rollers. Is that actually a bearing? It looks like a selector.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope the bearing is the one in front, that spun and looks like a gear. Those are actually the rollers that have been flattened and at a 45* angle lol.

There is a member here that may have the entire shaft he can send me which is awesome. Gonna miss the community here, good people.

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Wow, yes it does look like a gear, it's almost the perfect bevel. I did notice the gunky lube, thought that was just gunky lube. Burned, I guess. Is that the reverse shaft?

So, the ring at the back isn't missing any rollers?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No everything else survived which is pretty amazing considering that bearing is completely shot. One day I felt a slight hesitation on the freeway while using cruise control, figured sticky throttle, by the time I pulled into work the car was almost stalling out and sounded like marbles in the gearbox. Towed it home and when I cracked it open found that nice little surprise.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
You should be able to just replace that bearing as they are machined very precisely. Should also be able to get a number off it to source a replacement at any good bearing dealer.

The only thing to worry about is the preload on that bearing. There are probably shims under it, the race or perhaps only on the opposite bearing. If you replace the whole shaft you may run into preload problems although I would think the greatest variable would be the case machining so you may still be fine. Like others have said, there is no help with the internals from Volvo so you are on your own.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't be any worse than what appears to be some free play up and down with that gear. Not sure what the extent of the damage is besides the obvious with the bearing. I intended to take the bearing in and have one sourced through a local supplier but if this guy pulls through I think it's a better option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't be any worse than what appears to be some free play up and down with that gear. Not sure what the extent of the damage is besides the obvious with the bearing. I intended to take the bearing in and have one sourced through a local supplier but if this guy pulls through I think it's a better option.
Hello Mate,

it seems I have bearing issues as well :( I own s40 mk2 2.0D, 2007, 6MT, really nice car. I bought it brand new from Volvo dealer and it's on 103k km.
The symptoms are when I'm driving on 6 gear around 1800-2000 rpm, there is a noise like murmur. Then when I press the clutch pedal the noise disappeared but once it's release the noise come back.

Obviously the problem is in the gearbox, the question is how complicated is to change the bearing? Did you found some document or graphics? Is there any specific when dissemble the axels?

Thank you in advance and regards!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up having to purchase a used gearbox. Although bearings wouldn't be hard to replace after having it all apart. Unfortunately mine was so bad it damaged the shaft and was unable to source a replacement. Internal parts from a P2 M66 are NOT the same, just a heads up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ended up having to purchase a used gearbox. Although bearings wouldn't be hard to replace after having it all apart. Unfortunately mine was so bad it damaged the shaft and was unable to source a replacement. Internal parts from a P2 M66 are NOT the same, just a heads up.
Thank you for the fast reply!
Apologize but what do you mean with P2 M66? Mine should be MMT6 - 6 speed manual, FWD.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S60/V70R P2 chassis M66 gearboxes have different gear ratios from what I can gather thus the internals although look identical have different size gears thus don't mesh. I tried to find a replacement shaft and the one I got was from V70R and didn't align with the rest of my gear set.

Bearings on the other hand appear to be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you!
I hope to be only a bearing, the car is only with 105k km... My friend with C30 with the same engine, year and gearbox with 130k km had shaft clearance moves which is strange... brand new cars with needs of gearbox replacement :(
one more question - when I'm going to change the bearings, should I purchase another items as oil seals and etc ? And I cannot find them for Volvo, only for Ford, I guess the gearbox case and seals are the same?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gearbox is made by Getrag if that helps any with your search. Never a bad idea to do new axle and input shaft seals if you got it all apart. Which the axle seals you can get from Volvo I'm sure. The input shaft seal may require some digging.

Volvo really made these manual gearboxes unserviceable. Pretty ridiculous considering that's a major selling point in NOT buying an automatic.

Luckily it sounds pretty far and few between that have issues. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts