SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive had my 07 SR M66 for about 2 months now and Im noticing more and more a clunking noise as Im engaging the clutch in Rev, 1st & 2nd and sometimes 3rd. It kinda sounds like its coming from the front drive axles but ive inspected them a couple of times and they look fine.. Anyone else heard this noise when engaging the clutch? Is it normal to hear this or do I need to start worrying about my angle gear/tranny/axles?? The angle gear is completely dry with no signs of leakage at all. The car has 115K miles and is in excellent condition with great service history & maintenance.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
How are your engine/trans mounts? Could be related to rocking motion due to sloppy mounts. The upper mount in particular is known to tear. There's also a common noise on these called axle ping. Search for that one and there'll be plenty of details.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are your engine/trans mounts? Could be related to rocking motion due to sloppy mounts. The upper mount in particular is known to tear. There's also a common noise on these called axle ping. Search for that one and there'll be plenty of details.
I haven't really checked the mounts and haven't even thought of that either.. but sounds like a good place to start. Ill check into that. Not sure what axle ping is.. but Ill look it up. Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been looking into the axle ping and so far I think that's exactly what Im dealing with! Ill be looking into it today after work.. I sure hope that solves the problem! Seems like a ridiculously easy and cheap fix.. Im pretty sure I recall the service records indicating that motor mounts have been replaced..

BTW, fearing the worst case scenario and just for my information, when the angle gear starts to go bad, does it make noises or show any signs that its going out besides leaking?? I searched for this car for A LONG time and spent more than my initial budget allowed on it and as a result im a bit paranoid that something major is going to go wrong with it.. so I guess I just wanna know what to look for and be aware of so that I can mentally prepare.. haha

·
Registered
239 Posts
@volvolars84- Keep us posted how you do. I've been tracking down a similar clunk/pop in the front end somewhere. Can feel it in the floor when loading or unloading the drivetrain in lower gears. I just changed all my fluids and my angle gear was topped up so i doubt its that. I'm going to try to get some input on how much play I'm supposed to have in each of the shafts and check those. I wont Hijack your thread with my issue but i'll let you know if i figure anything out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
When your angle gear goes, you will lose traction especially in 1st gear when you lay into it as no power is going to the rear wheels. I've heard others report of grinding sounds which makes sense since the splined interface is worn down. But, I have no personal experience as my angle gear held up fine for over 100k miles and then I replaced the collar sleeve with the stronger version from PDV for piece of mind before I upgraded the turbo. But you have an '07 so I would not worry too much about the angle gear. Most of the issues are with the earlier years.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When your angle gear goes, you will lose traction especially in 1st gear when you lay into it as no power is going to the rear wheels. I've heard others report of grinding sounds which makes sense since the splined interface is worn down. But, I have no personal experience as my angle gear held up fine for over 100k miles and then I replaced the collar sleeve with the stronger version from PDV for piece of mind before I upgraded the turbo. But you have an '07 so I would not worry too much about the angle gear. Most of the issues are with the earlier years.
Good to know! Thanks for the piece of mind.. at least for now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@volvolars84- Keep us posted how you do. I've been tracking down a similar clunk/pop in the front end somewhere. Can feel it in the floor when loading or unloading the drivetrain in lower gears. I just changed all my fluids and my angle gear was topped up so i doubt its that. I'm going to try to get some input on how much play I'm supposed to have in each of the shafts and check those. I wont Hijack your thread with my issue but i'll let you know if i figure anything out. Good Luck!
Ill keep you posted, and please keep me posted with your progress as well. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, probably get to it tomorrow. I read a bunch of posts on axle ping as per one of the earlier posts and Im pretty confident that's whats going on with mine. Have you looked into it at all? Seems like its a very common issue and a ridiculously cheap and easy fix..

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did look into ping a bit. Didn't find a definitive 'throw it up on stands and do this" to verify it. I did make sure they were torqued... but its a torque and an angle. I didnt want to angle any further. I guess i coulda de torqued and retorqued with the angle but thats counter intuitive to stretching bolts which are supposed to be 'one and done'. Overall it seems like its a $50-70 stab at fixing it. I was going to try for a more conclusive diagnosis. I recently got an R that I've been looking for just like yourself. There are plenty of little parts that cost way more than they should so i'm trying to keep the guessing down. :p

I recently replaced my upper and lower torque mounts with poly as well as the cross bar... they were annihilated. This may have cropped up after that so i might have been hidden by the loosey goosey mounts. The lower engine mounts dont look bad but i should probably get some leverage and crank the engine around. I was considering mounting or driving over the gopro to see if i see any shifting.

Honestly it feels centralized. I would say DT slop but its really a popping/clunking like something is giving way and popping between positions.. Kind of like a ****ty bushing/joint shifting around a bolt. I wouldn't think gearing would do that even with lash. I know my sway bushings dont look lovely but they seem to be all there.

One thing i did and i thought i solved it was i notices my brake pad pins were all crapped up and the retention clip was really crooked. I had no signs of drag but thought that maybe it could be temporarily binding then popping free in certain situations. Was a real long shot but I cleaned that up and retorqued all my lugs. I swear it was good for a few days but it might have all been in my head. Anyways I'll keep you posted.

If i fix it first you have to trade Pegs with me (17s) :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did look into ping a bit. Didn't find a definitive 'throw it up on stands and do this" to verify it. I did make sure they were torqued... but its a torque and an angle. I didnt want to angle any further. I guess i coulda de torqued and retorqued with the angle but thats counter intuitive to stretching bolts which are supposed to be 'one and done'. Overall it seems like its a $50-70 stab at fixing it. I was going to try for a more conclusive diagnosis. I recently got an R that I've been looking for just like yourself. There are plenty of little parts that cost way more than they should so i'm trying to keep the guessing down. :p

I recently replaced my upper and lower torque mounts with poly as well as the cross bar... they were annihilated. This may have cropped up after that so i might have been hidden by the loosey goosey mounts. The lower engine mounts dont look bad but i should probably get some leverage and crank the engine around. I was considering mounting or driving over the gopro to see if i see any shifting.

Honestly it feels centralized. I would say DT slop but its really a popping/clunking like something is giving way and popping between positions.. Kind of like a ****ty bushing/joint shifting around a bolt. I wouldn't think gearing would do that even with lash. I know my sway bushings dont look lovely but they seem to be all there.

One thing i did and i thought i solved it was i notices my brake pad pins were all crapped up and the retention clip was really crooked. I had no signs of drag but thought that maybe it could be temporarily binding then popping free in certain situations. Was a real long shot but I cleaned that up and retorqued all my lugs. I swear it was good for a few days but it might have all been in my head. Anyways I'll keep you posted.

If i fix it first you have to trade Pegs with me (17s) :)
Interesting.. We may have some separate issues. Mine is a pretty slight clunk or pop but its not always. Mine feels like its coming from the drive axles near the driver side front wheel. It doesn't feel very centralized. Is yours continuous while your driving or just when the gears engage? Im curious to see what both of our situations end up being..

Nice try on the pegs.. haha! Im actually casually trying to find a set of 17's to throw some snow tires on.. My car came from California so He's got summer tires on them. I love the 18's though.. it makes a big difference! Im trying to decide whether or not I want to refinish them in anthracite. I love the look of anthracite pegs, just not sure how well it would go with sapphire metallic black exterior.. Id have to do something with my grille too if I change the wheels..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Interesting.. We may have some separate issues. Mine is a pretty slight clunk or pop but its not always. Mine feels like its coming from the drive axles near the driver side front wheel. It doesn't feel very centralized. Is yours continuous while your driving or just when the gears engage? Im curious to see what both of our situations end up being..
Sounds like you've tracked yours down a bit more than me. Id get under there and wrench some stuff around with my hands (on jack stands of course) a bit. You very well may have that axle shenanigans everyone is raving about. Mine is when loading /unloading the drivetrain... generally in first or 2nd. If i put it in first and switch from accelerating to engine braking i can produce it 60-70% of the time. was actually debating bringing it into the Dealer (gasp!) for a full inspection if it qualifies for the free software updates. I figure if its a hundo or so and they can give me a laundrylist of potentials on their lift and i get all my modules updated it wouldn't be that bad. I'll take it home and have a nice To-Do list. But for now i'll troubleshoot a bit on my own. Thats half the fun of older cars.

just not sure how well it would go with sapphire metallic black exterior
I'll mitigate your risk... You can have my 17s if you dont like them. I did 17 winters... My 18" friends spent lots of time at the wheel straightening shop.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had the similar issue. There were various posts about this for many different potential sources ranging from suspicion of DMF to drive shaft to etc. Long story short, mine disappeared after a lower control arm replacement job. I am suspecting that one of the axles was not seated properly, and when reset after the LCA, it went away.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Most likely you heard the LCA clunking around, not the axle splines. Its called axle ping instead of axle clunk for a reason. People with clunks really need to focus on their suspensions instead of thinking its AWD or tranny issues first.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What's the general diagnosis method? Wrenching it around with a prybar or just visual on the bushings?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most likely you heard the LCA clunking around, not the axle splines. Its called axle ping instead of axle clunk for a reason. People with clunks really need to focus on their suspensions instead of thinking its AWD or tranny issues first.
The control arms were my first guess. Ive been under the car a few times at the dealer and Ive looked at them and Ive had the dealer mechanics look over them and the control arms/ball joints all look and feel very tight. This is why I started getting worried that it could be something worse. Everything underneath the car looks really clean. Even the dealer has said so a couple of times. After reading everything about axle ping I hope that's the issue. Everyone's definition of a ping, clunk, pop, whatever are all different so its hard to describe exactly what Im hearing in writing. Ill look into the axle bolts soon enough and keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the help so far everyone! I love this forum!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
When my LCA bushings went bad, there was no clunk, but the car had a mind of its own on the highway and would track left to right with no steering input... as if the wind or ruts in the road were causing it to drift. You can jack it up and use a prybar to move the arm back and forth. If there's a lot of deflection at the bushing and/or bushing looks torn you can safely bet the bushings are bad. I replaced mine with poly bushings, but it's a bit of a pain and will require that you re-use the metal inserts that go into the bushings... geometry of these inserts differs from Volvo and aftermarket sources so tough to know what you have until you cut/burn off the rubber from the old ones. An easier option is to go with a replacement LCA with bushings.... just do yourself a favor and stay away from the Meyle units. Mine failed prematurely. Nevetheless, good luck in your diagnosis

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When my LCA bushings went bad, there was no clunk, but the car had a mind of its own on the highway and would track left to right with no steering input... as if the wind or ruts in the road were causing it to drift. You can jack it up and use a prybar to move the arm back and forth. If there's a lot of deflection at the bushing and/or bushing looks torn you can safely bet the bushings are bad. I replaced mine with poly bushings, but it's a bit of a pain and will require that you re-use the metal inserts that go into the bushings... geometry of these inserts differs from Volvo and aftermarket sources so tough to know what you have until you cut/burn off the rubber from the old ones. An easier option is to go with a replacement LCA with bushings.... just do yourself a favor and stay away from the Meyle units. Mine failed prematurely. Nevetheless, good luck in your diagnosis
Hmm Interesting. Maybe I do need to triple check these. I do feel a slight "side hop" in the steering quite regularly but its usually seems like its coming from road conditions, never on its own that I can recall.. It may be a while till I check it however because with our fresh new 10"+ of snow this morning, the R will be quietly parked in the garage for a while until the roads are 100% dry again. Might take a couple weeks for that as the forecast isn't looking good!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well try this. It will take 10 minutes. Take the axle bolt out. Wiggle the axle a bit. Then re-torque it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Axle ping gone!!! I picked up a set of XC90 bolts and bushings from the dealer, installed and torqued them today.. No more clicking noise! Easiest solution ever!! Thanks for the help everyone!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the update/resolution. There are tons of threads on here where that courtesy was not extended. Glad it worked out!!! Did you end up retorqeing your existing bolts before you popped the new ones in there or just went right to the XC90s?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts